PDA

View Full Version : Two engines...

Sleek-Jet
03-01-2005, 05:31 PM
I've been doing a little brain drizzling lately and have a question for all the engine gurus...
If two engines are ganged togather at the crankshaft (like in a tandem arrangemant, one crank bolted solidly to the other), is the horse power additive?? Or do you end up losing hp between the two and come out with less than double when all is said and done???

Squirtin Thunder
03-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Basically if you had two SBF 302s rated at 295hp you would have 604ci 590hp. Now if one engine is down on power an you were having to carry that one with the other then you would be using more power to turn the rpms.
So if you had two Big Bad Fords making 521ci each and 700hp each you would have 1042ci and 1400hp !!!!
But they tried that many years ago and chose two run them parale instead of in series. One of the reasons was it was easier on drives.
Jim

Norseman
03-01-2005, 06:24 PM
I've been doing a little brain drizzling lately and have a question for all the engine gurus...
If two engines are ganged together at the crankshaft front to back, like in a tandem arrangemant, one crank bolted solidly to the other), is the horse power additive?? Or do you end up losing hp between the two and come out with less than double when all is said and done???
Some of the early front engine dragsters that ran two engines and would couple the flywheel end of the crank of the first engine to the front end of the crank of the 2nd engine with a chain coupler. Done that way HP should be additive. When you put the engines side by side and drive thru a gearbox or chain and sprocket arrangement you will have hp losses in the couplings.

Sleek-Jet
03-01-2005, 06:40 PM
I've seen it done before, with varying degrees of success. The biggest problem I see with that kind of set-up is having to build two engines (especially in a smaller boat where one large engine could put out as much power), and other than the wow factor, it wouldn't be very practical.
Thanks guys.

Floored
03-01-2005, 06:56 PM
back in 75 when I worked at Nicson Engineering we had a customer do 2 inline bbc's in his V-Drive daycruiser. he loved the shock factor of kicking some a$$ with a so-called family boat. The guy was old and nuts, but a kick. ran it on the river around Bullhead.

Sleek-Jet
03-01-2005, 06:59 PM
I'd like to have seen that, you have any pics???

bigkatboat
03-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Floored, you worked with Eddie Borges?

dtr352
03-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Thats how they do it in the tractor pulls. Atleast thats what it looked like on tv. Very cool looking.

DaveA
03-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Somebody in SoCal has a flattie with two SBC's in-line, called Sweet Sixteen. Saw it in ***boat MAGAZINE (Hot Boat has a magazine??).
Also, remember the marathon boat, Kwitcherbitchen?? Two Ford tank engines in parallel that was just under the 1000 cid limit, if I remember correctly. I've got pix somewhere, probably on the laptop. Maybe in the Members Gallery somewhere?

Sleek-Jet
03-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Somebody in SoCal has a flattie with two SBC's in-line, called Sweet Sixteen. Saw it in ***boat MAGAZINE (Hot Boat has a magazine??).
Also, remember the marathon boat, Kwitcherbitchen?? Two Ford tank engines in parallel that was just under the 1000 cid limit, if I remember correctly. I've got pix somewhere, probably on the laptop. Maybe in the Members Gallery somewhere?
Those are the boats I was thinking of... Sweet Sixteen's owner used to be on the boards, but haven't heard from him in a while.
It would definetly be an attention getter to pull up with 16 cylinders cracklin' :D

kojac
03-02-2005, 07:23 AM
Seen it done in tractor pull exibitions years ago. Two blown engines. don't remember all the details but do remember the exhibition. Incredible power.
Kojac

Thunderbutt
03-02-2005, 09:31 AM
John Peters had a drag car with two sm block motors called the Fright train. And the Mortitian had two big blocks in a flatbottom, and they killed him.

Norseman
03-02-2005, 03:22 PM
There were a bunch of bonneville cars built with 2 and 3 engines inline. There was also a drag car that ran 4 engines, 2 pairs of 2. I think they were Pontiacs. I can't remember who built that one.

Sleek-Jet
03-02-2005, 03:28 PM
There were a bunch of bonneville cars built with 2 and 3 engines inline. There was also a drag car that ran 4 engines, 2 pairs of 2. I think they were Pontiacs. I can't remember who built that one.
"TV" Tommy Ivo ran one with 4 engines, Buick's I believe. 2 engines drove the front wheels, and 2 drove the back. Those cars are still around.

Norseman
03-02-2005, 03:48 PM
"TV" Tommy Ivo ran one with 4 engines, Buick's I believe. 2 engines drove the front wheels, and 2 drove the back. Those cars are still around.
Sleek Jet;
The IVO car is a different set up, this one was a rear wheel drive car with 4 engines. Damn it's tough getting senile........ :mad:

Sleek-Jet
03-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Sleek Jet;
The IVO car is a different set up, this one was a rear wheel drive car with 4 engines. Damn it's tough getting senile........ :mad:
Great... now I've got a research project... :D

Norseman
03-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Great... now I've got a research project... :D
You and me both!!! :rollside:

Norseman
03-02-2005, 04:22 PM
You and me both!!! :rollside:
This is the 2 and 4 engine IVO cars, neither one in line V*.
http://www.buicks.net/misc/tommy_ivo.html
Bob

Norseman
03-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Metal Shapers has a picture of a 4 allison engine powerd car in one of the photo albums, but that's not the one I remember.
I sure wish I could have seen it run though.
That one also looks like front and rear wheel drive like the Ivo car.
They also have pictures of Shirley Muldowneys twin engine SBC powered car. I forgot about that one, I saw it run at Englishtown back in the day.

Floored
03-02-2005, 05:01 PM
I may have worked with Eddie but that was 29 years ago. If I had a pic I would remember. I still remember the whole layout of the shop there. Stayed about a year there. We did Ak Miller and Gale Banks turbo setups there, the castings and machining end. Most of the guys were into V-Drives there. Was sad to see they closed up.

76BARRON
03-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Those are the boats I was thinking of... Sweet Sixteen's owner used to be on the boards, but haven't heard from him in a while.
It would definetly be an attention getter to pull up with 16 cylinders
cracklin' :D
could it have been name'd SIXTEEN CANDLES?

Sleek-Jet
03-02-2005, 05:14 PM
could it have been name'd SIXTEEN CANDLES?
Yeah, maybe that's it. I remember talking to him about it, but I think it was a couple years ago now??? It's been a while anyways.

76BARRON
03-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Jerry/ V-DRIVE VIDEO will know who that is. Saw that boat in one of his video's. I will check out my video for the name if no one else comes up with it first.Will try and post it when I find it.

Speedin' Ian
03-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Check out my buddies dragster, he hooked it up to the dyno and it made twice as much power with two motors.
http://www.sissellsautomotive.com/

spectras only
03-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Floored , here's a 24 Campbell Supercruiser from the 70's .
Twin 427's coupled at the crankshaft. The firing order was
modifed to run like a 16 cyl engine.
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/24campbell%20supercruiser.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/24campbell%20supercruiser2.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/24campbell%20supercruiser3.jpg

Sleek-Jet
03-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Floored , here's a 24 Campbell Supercruiser from the 70's .
Twin 427's coupled at the crankshaft. The firing order was
modifed to run like a 16 cyl engine.
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/24campbell%20supercruiser2.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/24campbell%20supercruiser.jpg
Thanks for the pics.
That also kind of answers another question. Would you want to modify the firing order so the two engines run as one (or close to it), or leave them seperate??

spectras only
03-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Sleek ,read my post again :)

Sleek-Jet
03-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Sleek ,read my post again :)
Yeah I saw that, :D I was more curious as to if it was necessary (which I think it almost would be) to run them like that.
I should mention that this is purely an exersize in keeping me occupied on night shifts, I have no plans to actually try something like this. :D

ECeptor
03-03-2005, 09:43 AM
The high end pulling tractors use custom gearboxes to combine the power from up to 6 big engines. The power would be additive minus the losses from the gearboxes.
If someone was serious about doing this for a boat, I'd find some of the local tractor pullers and show up for a chit-chat with a case of cold ones and get some good, practical advice.
With that said, I'd think 1 drive per engine would be the cheapest route to a given speed goal for a boat.

Jordy
03-03-2005, 09:53 AM
It would definetly be an attention getter to pull up with 16 cylinders cracklin' :D
He was at OP6 in Havasu last June. That's a really cool old boat. Spent some time looking at it and talking to him. Lots of engineering went into making everything work together. :D

superdave013
03-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I had a bunch of pics of the twin engine Kwicherbichen boat in the image center. All seem to be gone now. That boat had them side by side with one flywheel and one starter for both engines.

wsuwrhr
03-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Anyone notice the engine builders' name?
Brian

superdave013
03-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Anyone notice the engine builders' name?
Brian
Gordy?? :D

wsuwrhr
03-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Gordy?? :D
haha,
I will have to inquire with Wilton if he did these engines.
Pretty cool lookin anyway.
Brian

76BARRON
03-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Yeah, maybe that's it. I remember talking to him about it, but I think it was a couple years ago now??? It's been a while anyways.
Checked out the RIVER RATS video and the boat SIXTEEN CANDLES was on there with two 350 chevy's . It was built by ANDY CLARY, hull is by SANGER
and it was also in the OCT 2002 issue of HOT BOAT.
V-DRIVE VIDEO has tape's for sale(RIVER RATS #1) RR#2 may be out later this year!!! :D

Sleek-Jet
03-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Checked out the RIVER RATS video and the boat SIXTEEN CANDLES was on there with two 350 chevy's . It was built by ANDY CLARY, hull is by SANGER
and it was also in the OCT 2002 issue of HOT BOAT.
V-DRIVE VIDEO has tape's for sale(RIVER RATS #1) RR#2 may be out later this year!!! :D
I'm waiting for the DVD...:D My VCR doesn't even work anymore.
So, does anyone know the firing order of a V16???

76BARRON
03-03-2005, 07:33 PM
two chevys v-8, one offset 45 deg on fireing order=
1 9 8 16 4 12 3 11 6 14 5 13 7 15 2 10 should work? :D

Floored
03-04-2005, 03:57 PM
that could be it. 29 years is a long time, but it looks right. The guy spent a long time with mounts, exhaust and little BS just making it right. Nice that it is still around too. Way cool, thanks for the memories!! :D