PDA

View Full Version : Who can port Canfields?

PC Rat
03-01-2005, 08:57 PM
I need to get some port work done on my 350cc Canfields. I talked to one head porter that said he got 365cfm at .750" lift after porting, and the ports ended up at 363cc. These numbers are lower than what Canfield advertises out of the box. Can anybody backup or dispute the flow numbers?
What head porter has the Canfields down? I see several cnc programs out there, but to me the numbers are still an advertisement until someone can back up the claims.
Brian

steelcomp
03-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Brian, I'll get you some very trustworthy info tomorrow. I was looking into the same thing for my 310's, and had several names written down, but they're at work. If you want, pm me your phone and I can call you tomorrow. I decided to just hand port my own, and I'd offer to do yours, but I just don't have time. You're right AFA flow numbers go. You should be in the 400's with that big of a port. :coffeycup

stix818
03-02-2005, 06:54 AM
PC Rat I had the same exact heads. We ported them and sent them to a buddy of ours down in Tucson to have them flowed. We came up with the same numbers as you did. I would like to know where Canfield, along with some others, get their figures because we've compared them along with Pro Toplines, Brodix 2s and others and they all seemed to be within the same range.

kojac
03-02-2005, 07:18 AM
When I have my heads ported I always have the manifold and carbs done at the same time.
Having the heads done by themselves are a good base line but the velocity and flow numbers are different after installing the manifold and carbs.
Haven't used canfields yet..
Kojac

Speedin' Ian
03-02-2005, 07:36 AM
The company that does my heads is the same company that does the heads for one of the big marine motor builders and he was telling me that many people screw up their heads when they try and port them and he himself does very little work to the CNC heads. In fact he had a guy buy a nice set of AFR's and then take them to his buddy who ported them in his garage with out a flow bench, he wound up loosing about 8-10%. My point is maybe you are better of leaving them alone.

C.Fisher
03-02-2005, 08:36 AM
You might consider contacting John Fenton "owner" of Canfield and ask him.
Number on site (http://www.canfieldheads.com/)
I am pretty sure www.m2race.com does most of Canfields porting.

stix818
03-02-2005, 09:50 AM
I guess it all depends on what people are looking for. I've seen people do their own work and they just go in and start grinding away. They could have had them done right if they would have asked us but some people it seems hard to give them any advice (going through a situation right now)!!!

flat broke
03-02-2005, 12:51 PM
You might consider contacting John Fenton "owner" of Canfield and ask him.
Number on site (http://www.canfieldheads.com/)
I am pretty sure www.m2race.com does most of Canfields porting.
Ditto.
Hustler hooked me up with John and the end result was a set of Carl Fultz? <sp> CNC'd heads that are absolutely phenomenal. I bought the bare castings from John, and he took care of getting the CNC profile work done. Only had to write one check. Too busy at work right now to swing by DNE and grab the flow numbers. Just give John a call and I'm sure you can get setup.
Chris
Chris

cstraub
03-03-2005, 07:07 AM
I use a guy in Ky that does alot of BBC work for me. He has doe 20 or so sets of canfields. These are his numbers from his last set of 990's:
.400 293 214
.500 342 237
.600 376 252
.700 391 260
His valve job is worth about 25CFM over most. Those heads go on a 464CID pull truck engine that turns 8500 with a flat tappet.
Cost wise on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being high $, he is a 7.
If you want his number let me know.
Chris