PDA

View Full Version : Wacker X Dimension..

BoatFloating
03-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Hey all you Wacker guru's. I have 2 300x's on my boat were should the prop shaft be set to the bottom of the boat. Not a too aggresive setup but not too conservative
either???????? :)

HavasuDreamin'
03-02-2005, 06:14 AM
Not too aggressive would be the prop shafts even with the running surface. A little more aggressive would be up an inch or two from the running surface. Make sure you maintain at least 15 lbs. of water pressure. Then use a GPS to guage your best x-dimension height.
:)

BoatFloating
03-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Not too aggressive would be the prop shafts even with the running surface. A little more aggressive would be up an inch or two from the running surface. Make sure you maintain at least 15 lbs. of water pressure. Then use a GPS to guage your best x-dimension height.
That's about where I thought.
I forgot to mention that I have 16" setback also....
If a Havasu Merc Dealer set it up 3" below the bottom to start and now we are 1 1/2" below the bottom does that sound a little too conservative??? :idea:

CrazyHippy
03-02-2005, 09:15 AM
are the plates adjustable on the triler, or do you have to unbolt the motor, and bolt it back on???
if it's easily adjustable, jack it up 1/2" at a time (watch the water pressure!!!) untill you run into planing trouble, start to lose speed on the top, or start losing water PSI (15 PSI is a safe #)
Should be over 100 in no time
BJH

CrazyHippy
03-02-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm also going to bet it'll end up 1" to 1.5" above the bottom :p
BJH

Boatmaster
03-02-2005, 09:35 AM
BJH
Ditto

Havasu Cig
03-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Depends on the hull. The guy's with 28 Skaters seem to be running their X 1.5-2.0 inches above the bottom of the sponson. I would say water pressure is probably the limiting factor unless you go to external pickups. On my O/B Mach we had to lower the motors due the water pressure problems and it hurt the performance of the boat. If I would have kept the boat I would have gone with external pickups and jacked the motors back up.

BoatFloating
03-02-2005, 02:39 PM
are the plates adjustable on the triler, or do you have to unbolt the motor, and bolt it back on???
if it's easily adjustable, jack it up 1/2" at a time (watch the water pressure!!!) untill you run into planing trouble, start to lose speed on the top, or start losing water PSI (15 PSI is a safe #)
Should be over 100 in no time
BJH
I have to unbolt every time non-adjustable. I want to set them and forget them and I wanted a litle cleaner look so didn't want jack plates.
BJH
That's what I thought and everyone else I've talked to I just don't know how they missed it..... Rigged by a Havasu company..... So if it is currently set at 1 1/2" below bottom that would be way too low? I just want to get as much feedback from people as possible.
Here is a picture of the current measurement....
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3708Merc_3_Bottom_measure__Medium_.JPG
Another question regarding set out of the motors Look at picture and tell me what you think????
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3708Merc_5_Bottom_edge_placement__Medium_.JPG

BoatFloating
03-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Depends on the hull. The guy's with 28 Skaters seem to be running their X 1.5-2.0 inches above the bottom of the sponson. I would say water pressure is probably the limiting factor unless you go to external pickups. On my O/B Mach we had to lower the motors due the water pressure problems and it hurt the performance of the boat. If I would have kept the boat I would have gone with external pickups and jacked the motors back up.
Dave has been known to run his outboards close to the edge with water pressure. That's one of the reasons I think Toby lost a piston and not just bad gas. I'm trying to get the height at a level that is good for water pressure and good performance... Kinda a happy medium..... Right now they are way to low as far as I'm concerned and it's like dragging anchors.... :(

Jrocket
03-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Too low.

Kilrtoy
03-02-2005, 03:12 PM
BEING AN EXPERT IN THIS FIELD
Im 12" back and im 1" above the bottom of the boat..... I think you should be alittle higher at 16" maybe 1 1/2"....
Oh yeah by the way, Im not expert, this is what the boat measures and you and I already discussed this.....
Hey Ricky, don't let SYA get near those pretty trailer lights

BoatFloating
03-02-2005, 03:28 PM
BEING AN EXPERT IN THIS FIELD
Im 12" back and im 1" above the bottom of the boat..... I think you should be alittle higher at 16" maybe 1 1/2"....
Oh yeah by the way, Im not expert, this is what the boat measures and you and I already discussed this.....
Hey Ricky, don't let SYA get near those pretty trailer lights
The rule of thumb from Mercury is if the motors are at the transom then it should start at the bottom of the boat. For every foot of setback you can go up 1" safely.... So it sounds like your listning and learning... Mr Expert.

stoker2001
03-02-2005, 06:29 PM
you are leaving alot of topend performance on the table in your application if centerline of propshafts are below bottom of boat.one mod i have seen with the skater and specters is they take a two inch wide file and notch the bottom of boat directly inline with nosecone water pickups to help direct water to pickups.cheapor then transom pickup kits :D :jawdrop:

BoatFloating
03-02-2005, 06:32 PM
you are leaving alot of topend performance on the table in your application if centerline of propshafts are below bottom of boat.one mod i have seen with the skater and specters is they take a two inch wide file and notch the bottom of boat directly inline with nosecone water pickups to help direct water to pickups.cheapor then transom pickup kits :D :jawdrop:
That's my thoughts exactly. hat do you think about where they should be set out in the one picture of the tunnel...

STVBOY
03-02-2005, 08:16 PM
The rule of thumb is for every inch of setback you have you go up 1/8 of an inch starting at the bottom of the boat. I would start at 1.5in and watch my water pressure! Also the centerline should be set in the middle of your tunnels and that will allow you to raise your motors high and still have good water pressure.

stoker2001
03-02-2005, 09:01 PM
another thing to keep in mind,is if you raise them to the fine line where you cant get any higher without loosing water pressure,make sure you do hispeed sweeping turns to verify that you are getting good pressure.in other words dont take for granted that the pressure will be the same under all conditions

BoatFloating
03-03-2005, 07:17 AM
The rule of thumb is for every inch of setback you have you go up 1/8 of an inch starting at the bottom of the boat. I would start at 1.5in and watch my water pressure! Also the centerline should be set in the middle of your tunnels and that will allow you to raise your motors high and still have good water pressure.
Thanks for the info. So in this picture you're saying move motors out to the second line farther out????
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3708Merc_5_Bottom_edge_placement__Medium_.JPG

CrazyHippy
03-03-2005, 08:56 AM
I would go even farther than that... if that is 2", i would say 5".
BJH

BoatFloating
03-03-2005, 09:38 AM
I would go even farther than that... if that is 2", i would say 5".
BJH
CH, the bad news is I might only be able to go out 2" on each side..... Because of where the brackets are placed. You are saying I need to be out past the notch were the drain plug is????? Boy did Lakeland miss the set up??????
:idea:

CrazyHippy
03-03-2005, 03:27 PM
I really am not sure. I'm just going by how most of the wacker cats are set up back east. The motor is more or less centered behind the sponson. Wonder if a center pod would effect the locations??
Kilrtoy, from directly behind your boat, where are the motors mounted? From the centerline of the drive (vertically) are the even w/ the edge of the tunnel, or are the hiding behind the sponson? :idea:
BJH

Havasu Cig
03-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Here is some pics of the set-up on the Skater. It is hard to tell motor height from the photo's, but you can see where they are in relation to the sponsons. Maybe this will help somewhat?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/showphoto.php?photo=23630&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/showphoto.php?photo=23629&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/showphoto.php?photo=23628&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=

Kilrtoy
03-03-2005, 07:31 PM
I really am not sure. I'm just going by how most of the wacker cats are set up back east. The motor is more or less centered behind the sponson. Wonder if a center pod would effect the locations??
Kilrtoy, from directly behind your boat, where are the motors mounted? From the centerline of the drive (vertically) are the even w/ the edge of the tunnel, or are the hiding behind the sponson? :idea:
BJH
That i dont know, I will look in 2 weeks and see....

STV_Keith
03-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Rocky, give Kevin over at R & R Prop Shop a call. He knows a thing or two about that type of setup.
BJ (Crazy Hippy) - check your PM's.

phebus
03-04-2005, 08:10 AM
Rocky, do you have to pay Lakeland for all theese adjustments, or did their original installation include any rquired adjustments? If it isn't included, why do you deal with them anymore? They sure seemed to miss with their original setup.

BoatFloating
03-05-2005, 09:23 AM
Rocky, do you have to pay Lakeland for all theese adjustments, or did their original installation include any rquired adjustments? If it isn't included, why do you deal with them anymore? They sure seemed to miss with their original setup.
Good question..... They said they would take care of it since they missed it. Even though they're not saying that they missed it. They are going to raise the motors to inch and half above and move them out a inch and they are going to test drive then.
Rocky, give Kevin over at R & R Prop Shop a call. He knows a thing or two about that type of setup.
BJ (Crazy Hippy) - check your PM's.
Funny you should say that. My buddy Kirk (pussycat) was at his shop on Friday and he told that he talked to Kevin about my set up and he said it was off too. I'll give him a call this next week. Once Lakeland raises motors to where I told them and they go run it it's gonna be a huge difference. I will be talking to Kevin about props.

BoatFloating
03-05-2005, 09:23 AM
Here is some pics of the set-up on the Skater. It is hard to tell motor height from the photo's, but you can see where they are in relation to the sponsons. Maybe this will help somewhat?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/showphoto.php?photo=23630&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/showphoto.php?photo=23629&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/showphoto.php?photo=23628&size=big&papass=&sort=1&thecat=
Thanks that does heep....

phebus
03-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Rocky, the next time I see you, I hope to see you in a Lifeline jacket instead of a kidney belt. Tell Lakeland to get rid of the hippity hop, and get on with the straight line speed. :argue:

BoatFloating
03-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Rocky, the next time I see you, I hope to see you in a Lifeline jacket instead of a kidney belt. Tell Lakeland to get rid of the hippity hop, and get on with the straight line speed. :argue:
Oh I think what I told them by going up will fix the problem.... I'll be out there on the 25th to see...
:hammerhea

MONEYFURNOTHIN
03-05-2005, 02:47 PM
does anyone know what dcb charges to intall an external pick - up on a mach 22. Is it worth the money. Im still in the process of raising the motor just wondering if i can get it high enough with out loosing pressure

BoatFloating
03-05-2005, 02:56 PM
does anyone know what dcb charges to intall an external pick - up on a mach 22. Is it worth the money. Im still in the process of raising the motor just wondering if i can get it high enough with out loosing pressure
I think Lakeland charges $1K parts and labor and that was for 2 on my buddies boat...

WetWillie
03-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Man if it would have been done the first time you would be out enjoying that boat!! :wink: Make sure they putty all the old holes when they move all your mounts.. I heard that tub and tile stuff is what they use at Carrera.. :2purples:
Get this thing on the water!! :wink:

BoatFloating
03-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Man if it would have been done the first time you would be out enjoying that boat!! :wink: Make sure they putty all the old holes when they move all your mounts.. I heard that tub and tile stuff is what they use at Carrera.. :2purples:
Get this thing on the water!! :wink:
Listen up hot plate motor man worry about your own rig. Like how to drive it and how to get it off the trailer in one piece....

phebus
03-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Oh I think what I told them by going up will fix the problem.... I'll be out there on the 25th to see...
Good chance you will be passing me that weekend then. I think we will be out there then too.

BoatFloating
03-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Good chance you will be passing me that weekend then. I think we will be out there then too.
Cool we will have to hook up....
:D