PDA

View Full Version : getting ready to loose some So Cal history

superdave013
03-02-2005, 07:50 AM
And that will be so sad to see. Such a landmark and it really did help to create an entire lifestyle.
save Carlsbad Skatepark (http://www.carlsbadskatepark.org/index.html)
I would be shocked if it's saved. But it would be cool. During it's heyday in the '70s I was living in the mid west reading every work of Skateboarder and Transworld just like all the other snow bound kids. I dreamed about skating there. I would have never moved out here if it was not for skateboarding.
http://www.carlsbadskatepark.org/i/hist/image001.jpg
So C'Mon, anyone want a skate park & race track. Maybe Dave Sammonds could start up the Carlsbad raceway again and let the kids play off to the side at the skate park. What do ya say Dave? You're just the guy to do it!

Cole Trickle
03-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Sadly I don't think it will happen.
I was a frequent drag racer at Carlsbad and have stayed fairly up to date in the quest to keep Carlsbad alive.
The owner of the raceway/Skate park got the land from his father and could give a rats ass about anything but $$$.
The investors that purchased the land would be fools to sell unless they were offered well over current values.(Not going to happen)
I made 100's of passes in various cars down that famed quarter mile.I was the worst track in CA but it had good air and you could easily get 10+ runs in a day.
The closing of that track all but guarantees the end for drag racing in So Cal with decent low elevation air.(There is a 1/4 mile in Fontana and LACR that is open occasionally and some 1/8 miles in Irwindale,San Diego and Barona)
Sadly I had know idea the skate park was ever there and I had been racing at the track since 1998.
Brandin

JustMVG
03-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Was lucky to be some of the first skaters to get to ride the place, got an invite from a board mfg, and they drove us down there to check out the place, that place was soo much fun. Hope it gets saved. There are not alot of the original "Parks" left, in fact it may be the only one left, Upland, Reseda,Montebello, La Crescenta, all gone!!!

BIGAMIST
03-03-2005, 12:12 AM
SkaterCross then Taco Bell :D it sucks that they let these places go

Flying Tiger
03-03-2005, 10:47 AM
I remember what the ink on the pages smelled like on Skateboarder magazine.
My most prized posessions when I was a kid.

dmontzsta
03-03-2005, 05:20 PM
I thought it was already too late? My friend drove by there around 4-5 months ago and said the place was leveled and they were grating it.
Sucks too, that was the best track in SoCal, or should I say the only one close to sea level, Fontana sucks balls.

thesunking
03-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Was lucky to be some of the first skaters to get to ride the place, got an invite from a board mfg, and they drove us down there to check out the place, that place was soo much fun. Hope it gets saved. There are not alot of the original "Parks" left, in fact it may be the only one left, Upland, Reseda,Montebello, La Crescenta, all gone!!!
I remember the one in Montebello, it was next to the 60 freeway at Portero Grande in the mid 70's?
The closest I ever got to sk8 boarding was riding the inside of empty pools on my BMX. I'll turn 39 and still riding the saddle . . . . .
http://images.snapfish.com/342%3C%3A%3C6723232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A43%3D6 %3B%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2323789%3B4%3A753ot1lsi
Bootleg Cyn with Lake Mead in background '03. The thought of owning a boat had never crossed my mind yet!

Havasu Cig
03-03-2005, 06:54 PM
I thought it was already too late? My friend drove by there around 4-5 months ago and said the place was leveled and they were grating it.
Sucks too, that was the best track in SoCal, or should I say the only one close to sea level, Fontana sucks balls.
I drive by it almost daily and I don't think there is anything left. The tractors are grading the place everytime I have driven by.
I grew up racing motocross and running bikes and cars on the dragstrip. I could hear the cars running on the strip from my house. It is to bad, but it has been along time coming. I am suprised it has lasted as long as it has. :frown:

LUVNLIFE
03-03-2005, 07:25 PM
I remember the one in Montebello, it was next to the 60 freeway at Portero Grande in the mid 70's?
The closest I ever got to sk8 boarding was riding the inside of empty pools on my BMX. I'll turn 39 and still riding the saddle . . . . .
http://images.snapfish.com/342%3C%3A%3C6723232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A43%3D6 %3B%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2323789%3B4%3A753ot1lsi
Bootleg Cyn with Lake Mead in background '03. The thought of owning a boat had never crossed my mind yet!
I see you have changed your mind since you are on this forum :D Always good to see another union brother here ;) :D

ROZ
03-03-2005, 10:50 PM
I drive by it almost daily and I don't think there is anything left. The tractors are grading the place everytime I have driven by.:frown:
Yup. The pnly area that remains riginal is the chainlink fence enterance.Everything else is gone. It's just up the street from my office. I'll post the pisc tomorrow for ya...