PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think ???

BigDoug
04-23-2006, 06:42 AM
We drop the boat in at site 6 sat am to meet up with ChevyKarl. The boat started for 2-3 seconds and shut down, i thought it was cold so i gave it a little more gas but now it sounded like my battery was dead, click click.
Im confused now, all this while sitting on the trailer.
I go straight to our trusty friend Aaron and he turned the key and we had 13 volts, click click. He jumps out and checks for flappers in the exhaust and they were there, he starts to pull plugs and the #3 plug is jacked up (bent etc.) pulled all the rest and water pumped out all of them.
Im probably looking for a rebuild i guess but this is a brand new rebuilt 454 with 15-20 hours.
What do think happened here and do you think i need a complete rebuild, what would this cost aprox. ? did i drop a valve ?......Help the season is early. :)

JetBoatRich
04-23-2006, 06:51 AM
Doug was this the Commander?

Quality Time
04-23-2006, 07:17 AM
Was the boat stored in freezing temps over the winter without proper winterization?

andy01
04-23-2006, 07:19 AM
Could be a intake or head gasket. I would do a leak down on the motor. Find the problem and fix it. I don't think you need a rebuild. I just hydro locked when not running, if it was running then you could f'ed some shit up but since it wasn't you might be alright.
Andy

bigq
04-23-2006, 07:45 AM
We drop the boat in at site 6 sat am to meet up with ChevyKarl. The boat started for 2-3 seconds and shut down, i thought it was cold so i gave it a little more gas but now it sounded like my battery was dead, click click.
Im confused now, all this while sitting on the trailer.
I go straight to our trusty friend Aaron and he turned the key and we had 13 volts, click click. He jumps out and checks for flappers in the exhaust and they were there, he starts to pull plugs and the #3 plug is jacked up (bent etc.) pulled all the rest and water pumped out all of them.
Im probably looking for a rebuild i guess but this is a brand new rebuilt 454 with 15-20 hours.
What do think happened here and do you think i need a complete rebuild, what would this cost aprox. ? did i drop a valve ?......Help the season is early. :)
Water pumped out of all cylinders?
Two words.... "crate motor" :rollside:
My guess would be an intake problem with water in all cylinders.Sucke it from somewhere. Bent plug might be a bad sign depending on how it was bent.

BigDoug
04-23-2006, 10:37 AM
SWB, I too believe it hydro locked but how ? the boat in question is a 92 cheetah stiletto mild built 454, we took it out last week and the week before that, it's been running very good and strong. The #3 cylinder has no compression right now but just wondering how this could happen with a fresh rebuild, what went wrong ?????????????..... :220v: :)

GRUNION
04-23-2006, 10:42 AM
you could have bent a valve in 3 when it hydrolocked. im not a motor guy though.

Mandelon
04-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Doesn't the motor need to be hot to "hydro-lock"?

GRUNION
04-23-2006, 11:23 AM
no if he sucked water in it will lock cold or not my old boat used to do it when i backed it down into the water. it had a sticky exashst flap.

Oldsquirt
04-23-2006, 11:26 AM
SWB, I too believe it hydro locked but how ? the boat in question is a 92 cheetah stiletto mild built 454, we took it out last week and the week before that, it's been running very good and strong. The #3 cylinder has no compression right now but just wondering how this could happen with a fresh rebuild, what went wrong ?????????????..... :220v: :)
No compression means a holed piston or a broken valve, which would also explain the damaged plug. A leakdown would identify before a teardown. Pulling the valve cover could also point to the problem in valves.
No. If water gets into a cylinder from any source and you try to compress it on the "compression" stroke, that is hydro-lock.

86 catalina
04-23-2006, 11:28 AM
I just sold a boat and the guy had the same problem,except he was under full power and had the jet water intake open too far.What type of air cleaner do you have on it is the air cleaner open to the weather elements????Who is the boat stored, and is this the first time out this season....

OCMerrill
04-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Temp makes no difference. If an underwater exhaust boat is backed up fast water can enter the motor if the engine is low enough in the boat. A failed head gasket can allow water in, cracked head, cracked block. This is why the Freezing question was asked. Water does not compress - Hydro Locked.
My take on it would be...
Bent up spark plug indicates to me something got loose. Broken rig land on the piston with pieces hitting the plug. Water could have been in there when you started, broke the piston, and that explains the bent up plug. When you shut off more water in but multiple cylinders with water? Ouch.
Started up, stop then locked...I would also say Crate Motor. I would think the block failed. Seen it before.

86 catalina
04-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Test the motor at all in the off season......i got your answers...

Mandelon
04-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Wow, actual useful boating related facts being discussed in the sandbar section....? What will they think of next. :p
It sounds expensive no matter what the cause.... :cry:

Mandelon
04-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Oh, It was a Cheetah? Well that explains it all right there. :rolleyes: :p

JetBoatRich
04-23-2006, 12:58 PM
sorry to hear about the damage Doug, would like to know the cause. Water could enter through the exhaust, you said you checked the flappers?

Throttle
04-23-2006, 01:25 PM
uh oh.... :cry:

CBadDad
04-23-2006, 01:47 PM
My GF just looked over my shoulder and asked what I was reading. Told her sounds like some guy blew up his motor and everyone is putting their two cents into why. She said, you mean like last year when so and so impeller disinegrated and we spent half a day on the snadbar "helping" him change it.
Exactly....

BigDoug
04-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Useful info here, my exhaust tips are high on my boat but i guess this is a possibility and just because it's a cheetah you all better lay off me if you know what's good for you....................... :) im going to take it to Aaron on Monday and he said we'll tear her down, so we'll see the cause of this i hope !!!.............to everyone who had useful info in this thread, i say thanks, to those who second guess my boat (cheetah) i'll see you one day and......oh never mind. :)

TRIMM MANN
04-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Good luck Doug.
I am surprised nobody picked up on CHEVYKARL...LOL :crossx:

SummitKarl
04-23-2006, 07:07 PM
I think you need a visit to CHEVYKARLS or Absolute and ask for one of our bitchin 800hp, 1 yr full exchange/warranty, Bullet Marine Engines at your buddies COST!!! :wink:

SummitKarl
04-23-2006, 09:47 PM
I think after looking at the plug a few minutes ago and seeing the perfect STAMP mark of a Exhaust Valve that hydrolocked bent No/3 exh and pushed the remaining water across the heat riser into No/4,
no worries there Buddy... we'll have it running within a week
is it a Ford.....is it a Dodge......nope
it's......DAUM...DAUM.....DAUM........CHEVYKARL :rolleyes: :)

Wild Horses
04-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Useful info here, my exhaust tips are high on my boat but i guess this is a possibility and just because it's a cheetah you all better lay off me if you know what's good for you:)
There is no way you got water into the exhaust tips when launching this boat.
I wouldn't start a tear down until a leak down has been done on this motor, then you know the problem to address.
Don't pull the whole motor down if you just have to pull a head.