PDA

View Full Version : Olds 455 w/ water pump?

beecubed
03-02-2005, 01:25 PM
I need some help. I purchased a 21' day cruiser last year, and have just begun to dig into the project. The current 455 has a full water pump setup on it. The jet drive is an old Berkeley J series, though not sure which one. Is it possible to run a full water pump or should this be running a block off plate?
Could someone have dropped in a car motor and possibly didn't remove/block the water pump? Any ideas or thoughts?
Thank you for the input,
Bernie

V1800J
03-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Its probaly a berkeley packajet setup. They used the waterpumps in their configurations, but I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it.

03-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Have seen normal automotive pumps on PackaJet with closed cooling system. Does it have a heat exchanger?

Squirtin Thunder
03-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Have seen normal automotive pumps on PackaJet with closed cooling system. Does it have a heat exchanger?
That was very comon with engine through the years. Just look at the Merc-Cruiser stuff.
Jim

jim@pj
03-02-2005, 08:40 PM
As stated in another post, that set up is the early set up by Berkeley. They called it the packajet package. I think that it recirulated water to allow better running temperatures. I prefer to eliminate this set up and go with a water pump plate, less parts to go bad. If you need some ideas check my web site and go to the tech talk section. If you don't want to change this set up , leave it . It works fine. Jim www.performancejet.com

beecubed
03-02-2005, 09:41 PM
Thank you for the replies. I appreciate it and enjoy this forum. I will take a closer look at it this weekend, and will post more info, if needed. Thank you!
Bernie