PDA

View Full Version : need some info on a hemi motor I found.

Sanger D
03-03-2005, 08:56 AM
I just found a OLD early to mid 60,s stevens flat.its kinda hammered but its got all the hardware in it.it has a hemi witha duel carb intake thats like 2 inches high,(real short) and flat.the heads are frickin monstruos and the block looks like its deff. bigger than a small block chev. or ford.is this thing worth 1400. bucks?can some one tell me some #,s to look for or some I.D markings?.the hardware looks some what salvagable and the T.T exhaust looks pretty good too,just needs polished up.is this a good parts doner? is anyone looking for OLD flatty parts?It has a fat eared 2 blade prop on it ,I,m going to go get a closer look at it today,HELP!!!!! :idea:

GofastRacer
03-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Take some pics while you're at it!. :)

Sanger D
03-03-2005, 09:14 AM
:confused: I do not have the means,but I will write down all the #,s I can find and where I found em,sorry , best I can do right now.I,ll post what I find in a couple of hours!!

Kurtis500
03-03-2005, 09:57 AM
look on the top of the block around the valley cover. There are a series of numbers usually startin with 2 letters. For example, CE58xxxxxx or NE57xxxxx Those are the numbers you need.
Let us know.

Sanger D
03-03-2005, 10:19 AM
now its in the day light it looks pretty hammered in my eyes,BUT!!!!it has a hall craft (round type ) gear box,the foot throttle says MARBET on it ????, the head casting #,s are 1731528-2, the block #,s are CE5735128, and the weiand duel intake has a part # of 7263 it even says on the intake (WHY-AND) so you don,t miss pernounce the name,kinda trippy!!never seen that on a weiand manifold before,the oil pan is missing and it looks pretty rusty and alot of the hardware is flaking and chipping away,the motor DOES sit in the boat forward and I found the coupler for the front of the crank,hull is seriuosly hammered(unless you restore OLD boat hulls) trailer is a tandem but needs ALOT of work,old style flat baby moons though ,kinda cool, reminded me of my ole mans old flatty trailer.adjustable plate with lockout and all the parts are there,but everything IS old and needs alot of polishing and /or replaced,I guess the only really salvagable thing would be the motor,(if its still good),I,ll keep tyring to get a hold of this guy .

tornreality
03-03-2005, 10:34 AM
The motor is a 1957 engine. I'm pretty sure a 392. I did the same thing as you last year. Bought an old stevens with a 392, no carbs and no distributor and sold the motor as it sat in the boat for 1700 at pomona swap. You won't have any problems getting rid of it. You won't get more than about 50 for the old water cooled v-drive. The other parts are pretty much worthless. The hull- do what I did, cut it up and throw it away. Hope that helps.

Norseman
03-03-2005, 02:44 PM
now its in the day light it looks pretty hammered in my eyes,BUT!!!!it has a hall craft (round type ) gear box,the foot throttle says MARBET on it ????, the head casting #,s are 1731528-2, the block #,s are CE5735128, and the weiand duel intake has a part # of 7263 it even says on the intake (WHY-AND) so you don,t miss pernounce the name,kinda trippy!!never seen that on a weiand manifold before,the oil pan is missing and it looks pretty rusty and alot of the hardware is flaking and chipping away,the motor DOES sit in the boat forward and I found the coupler for the front of the crank,hull is seriuosly hammered(unless you restore OLD boat hulls) trailer is a tandem but needs ALOT of work,old style flat baby moons though ,kinda cool, reminded me of my ole mans old flatty trailer.adjustable plate with lockout and all the parts are there,but everything IS old and needs alot of polishing and /or replaced,I guess the only really salvagable thing would be the motor,(if its still good),I,ll keep tyring to get a hold of this guy .
The engine is a 1957 Chrysler 392.
Engine core is worth atleast $ 1000.00, more if it's not stuck solid.
The Weiand intake should be worth 150.00 - 200.00. Marine manifolds and mounts are also worth some dollars.
The Hallcraft should be worth something to someone and all the other marine stuff seems to sell pretty good on ebay and swap meets.
Bob

BrendellaJet
03-03-2005, 02:57 PM
The hull- do what I did, cut it up and throw it away.
If the hull is salvagable dont do that! :argue:

Floored
03-03-2005, 05:26 PM
is it 1400 bucks in bullhead city? and red?

Sanger D
03-03-2005, 06:13 PM
ok, I talked to the guy and it is a 392 and it is froze up. It dropped a (he said" sleeve") and a piston a nd con, rod are laying on the floor of the boat,yes it is red and in BHC.this thing would be a major project ,lotsa work and time,prob. be better off parting out if you could get the money for the stuff.thanks for the quick info though.

Sanger D
03-03-2005, 06:18 PM
if the motor is a 1957 then the chances of the boat being the same might be good too.it is a fat little thing ,the guy was,nt sure what year it is.

MoJetBoPar
03-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Interesting find!
Chrysler only made the 392 for 2 years (57-58).
Lots of nostalgia drag racers and street rodders would surely like to have that longblock. There's alot of aftermarket stuff being made again.
I might be interested in that 2-blade prop. Check the diameter of the shaft if you can.
Dean

Kurtis500
03-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Looks like a project alright. I'll give you my opinion on a 392 since I race one. They are good for only two things, racing and nostalgia. A naturally aspirated 392 for common use in a boat is a boat anchor of a motor. Not a lot of HP per $ that you can get from a chevy BB. They are expensive, as in $220 for main bearings and $200 for rod bearings to start. But, if you put a blower and injector on it WATCH OUT. I ran bone stock heads with stock valves, stock crank, block, stock rods, regrind solid cam at 510 lift, 8:1 pistons and 2-bolt mains (hemis dont need 4 bolt as much as a chevy does). In a Kurtis with 37% gears(overgeared) and a fat 3 blade it ran 9.4's all day. Unless you want the nostalgia look or a blown engine, part it out....I'll take that beautiful forged steel crank off your hands.
Remember, this is the motor Garlits used to take as pure stock, replace the pistons, cam and put a blower and injector on top and run Top Fuel back then.

Kurtis500
03-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Oh and dont forget to look at the block. I picked up a spare block with a crack in the cylinder and had a sleeve put in for only $80. The block is sitting here in case I window the current one.

wsuwrhr
03-03-2005, 09:36 PM
They are good for only two things, racing and nostalgia. A naturally aspirated 392 for common use in a boat is a boat anchor of a motor.
Hemi's don't really make power when normally aspirated, I don't know the reason.
But stick a blower on it and watch out.
Brian

Kurtis500
03-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Hemi's don't really make power when normally aspirated, I don't know the reason.
But stick a blower on it and watch out.
Brian
Of course the injected nitro crowd is running only hemis. Something about nitro and hemi just go together better than chevy or ford.
But as a regular boat engine its kind of a terd if you just want a motor. Go BBC, way more bang for the buck. My dads Caribbean had a 392 in it. Didn't go fast, but man did everyone come over and look at it wherever we went!
I found my motor, along with everyone else I talked to says the early hemi likes low lift cams and LOTS OF DURATION AND BOOST!! When I pull my intake and exhaust valves out I can see straight through the head via the intake port. Forced induction must love that. i think my little .510 lift cam has a 324 total duration with 284 @ 50. Same cam has been in there for 5 years. Same springs too. I went from a 9.4 to 9.1's by only changing the valves to 2.125in and 2.00ex. One day I'll port the heads, put a better cam in it and go from 8:1 to 13:1..... dang, I'm likin my motor all over again :D :D

Sanger D
03-04-2005, 08:20 AM
I accually thought of brian and kindv. flat and kurtis500 when I saw it.their the only 3 guys I know who run mopar stuff and it looked like a good little find for someone,at first I thought about what I could make on it but I have no means or room to mess with it.hears the phone # of the guy.....928-758-1395.the trailer is structuraly strong ,it just looks like dog crap,but in good shape.A seaoned dude with mopars would have to look at the motor close to see if is really o.k but I can,t post pictures of it on my P.O.C computer :frown: . but give the guy a call, he might be able to give you some pictures of it. :D

Sanger D
03-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Interesting find!
Chrysler only made the 392 for 2 years (57-58).
Lots of nostalgia drag racers and street rodders would surely like to have that longblock. There's alot of aftermarket stuff being made again.
I might be interested in that 2-blade prop. Check the diameter of the shaft if you can.
Dean after getting a closer look in the day time I found it is a 3 blade and it is a 1" in. shaft,,you would need a pretty good shop with all the hull fixin mat. to make this thing a boat again,but anything is possible with the right motivation!!!! :D

Floored
03-04-2005, 04:06 PM
I might ride over and take a closer look tomorrow. have played with a couple hemi's. I want a flattie project but not a money pit.

Sanger D
03-05-2005, 09:34 AM
I might ride over and take a closer look tomorrow. have played with a couple hemi's. I want a flattie project but not a money pit. DUDE, you MUST get ready to spend some coin!!!this thing will be no easy win :2purples: but would be worth it on down the road I,m sure!!I LOVE to see the OLD flats revived,I,ll probably always own a vintage flatty,kinda mooshy that way (if ya know what I mean!!) :wink:

CXWone
03-05-2005, 01:55 PM
:D Sanger , I have 26 years experence with these beasts, Check out my site. 26 years and $27,000 later but it's worth it.. And I have lots of conections for "GOOD" parts Call me... Mike :jawdrop: :cool:

CXWone
03-05-2005, 01:59 PM
:sqeyes: One more thing... My hemi is 400 cubes and makes 1000hp with two carbs and juice... And nobody walks by with out looking... :messedup: