PDA

View Full Version : Metal / Fabrication Question???

mirvin
03-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Ok any metal guys that can answer my questions??
I'm having problems with my plasma cutter. Been trying to cut 1/8" cold roll steel but it's just not working very good. Am I asking too much of the plasma cutter or am I doing something wrong? Seems like it's just welding itself back together as I move down the line. I've bumped up the air pressure to 80 psi but no luck.
Also, where can I buy steel in So Cal without getting bent over?? Seems like the price of steel is through the roof. Almost cheaper to buy pre fab stuff......
Thanks in advance.
mirvin

dtr352
03-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Most cutters should have no problem with 1/8 in. Try adjusting your speed. You may be going to fast and not completly cutting the metal.

Garrddogg
03-03-2005, 10:45 AM
call Angeles steel in santa fe springs they are a full service shop fab and stock! for steel prolly the best prices for advice call and ask for Rick hes now the shop foreman,was the fab foreman for prolly 20 to 25 years,
tell him Gary Menser told you to call he will either give you good advice or hang up on you! :jawdrop:

OLDRAT
03-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Mirv,
Good ground and enough air pressure???
OR

mirvin
03-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Most cutters should have no problem with 1/8 in. Try adjusting your speed. You may be going to fast and not completly cutting the metal.
My plasma cutter says that it will cut "up to 1/8". When I go slow it just welds itself back together.
This is hobby stuff, hot rods etc. so it may be that I just don't use it enough. It slices right through anything thinner.
I'll keep at it:)
mirvin

CrazyHippy
03-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Actually i would guess you are going to slow... getting the surrounding metal too hot and then it's welding it self back together.
Vary your speed some, there will be somewhere that works well. 1/8th should be no problem.
BJH

lucky
03-03-2005, 10:50 AM
how's the tip ?

mirvin
03-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks guys. I'll try it again this weekend.
OR, I think my ground was good and I bumped the air up to 80psi....I think Hippy might be right that I was going too slow.
Force 26, I'll give Gary a call.
Thanks
mirvin ;)

superdave013
03-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Also, where can I buy steel in So Cal without getting bent over?? Seems like the price of steel is through the roof. Almost cheaper to buy pre fab stuff......
Thanks in advance.
mirvin
It did go through the roof. Welcome to my world.

mirvin
03-03-2005, 10:55 AM
how's the tip ?
You know....I did notice that the diagram in the manual shows a spring underneath the tip.....well there's no spring on mine.....do you think that's a problem?
mirvin

mirvin
03-03-2005, 10:58 AM
It did go through the roof. Welcome to my world.
Yeah...I spent $35 on metal and about 6 hours fabricating c-notches and boxing the rear frame of a 56 f100......I could buy the kit from No Limit for $59 :jawdrop:
I don't want to buy a kit dammit!! I want to fab it my dang self!!!
mirvin :hammer2:

Garrddogg
03-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys. I'll try it again this weekend.
OR, I think my ground was good and I bumped the air up to 80psi....I think Hippy might be right that I was going too slow.
Force 26, I'll give Gary a call.
Thanks
mirvin ;)
I'm Gary call Rick :cool:
force 26

mirvin
03-03-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm Gary call Rick :cool:
force 26
I see :hammerhea You're Gary, he's RIck. Got it. I'll send Fred a telegram right away :220v:
mirvin :wink: