PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Panther Jet.

bocco
04-16-2002, 04:24 PM
Hi,
Can someone tell me it a Panther jet can be replaced with a different type of drive? Or are the hull cutouts drastically different? I'm looking at a boat with a Panther and wondering about the possibility of swapping it out.

HYDROMOBILE
04-16-2002, 05:18 PM
It'll cost you $600.00 to glass up the boat and cut the hole for the berk, Jim

Hallett19
04-16-2002, 06:39 PM
why not just stick with the panther man ? they seem to be pretty good, I have a neighbor who has one and it runs fine and has since 1979, never a problem, they used to be used by the military for shallow water missions, I am pretty smart, ha ? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Cas
04-16-2002, 08:52 PM
I've had 2 different Berkeleys and now a Panther. Except for the lack of aftermarket bolt-ons, Panther is just as good as the others. As a matter of fact, a Panther has a better hole shot than the others.
If you want the real story on why Panther got a bad name, do some research. You will find out it's not a matter of Panther being inferior as it is a bigger company trying to bury it's competition years ago.
Oh yea, if you're wanting or needing a different setup with the Panther, get it's version of a jetovator or maybe a different impeller or maybe a different nozzle or grate. Yes, you can get all those things which will probably also go against things you've heard.
If you want more info, keep an eye on this board http://www.banderlog.com/cgi-bin/banderlog/dcforum/dcboard.cgi just click on the Jet Board and look at the Panther Jet Drives thread. The service manager at Panther is PantherSteve on the Banderlog site.
[This message has been edited by Cas (edited April 16, 2002).]
[This message has been edited by Cas (edited April 16, 2002).]

78miniday
04-17-2002, 03:40 PM
I have a 1978 Tahiti miniday with a 460 panther setup. Apparently in good condition they run well. But I must say Panther is Mighty Proud of Their Parts (Expensive).

beached1
04-17-2002, 06:18 PM
From what I've seen on how a Panther is installed/setup, which isn't much I'll admit, you would have to do a lot cutting and glass work to change to say a Berkley, AT, or Dom. On a panther, the intake is glassed around and part of the hull. Much like most PWC's. The rest uaually are made with their own intake and is part of the jet. I would think you would have to glass in and reshape a portion of the bottom of your hull.