PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley vs Jacuzzi 12WJ???

Bouhone
06-07-2001, 07:44 PM
I currently own a 1975 Spectra 18 with a Olds 455 and a Jacuzzi 12WJ pump. I am looking for information on the performance difference of a Berkeley pump compared to the Jacuzzi 12WJ pump. Does anyone have any information or know where I can find information on this comparison???

Slow Boat 001
06-07-2001, 07:52 PM
you should find the info here on these fourms as I know that I have seen some here before. Just look at it this way JACUZZI could not make a good pump for the hot tubs so why did they think they could make a good pump to move a boat? get a dom or berk.
You would be so much better off with a good pump. Dont get me wrong your hot tub pump could run 60 with about 500hp and a pump rebuild.
www.worthingtonmotorsports.nasha.com (http://www.worthingtonmotorsports.nasha.com)
[This message has been edited by Slow Boat 001 (edited June 07, 2001).]

Bouhone
06-07-2001, 10:06 PM
Slow Boat, thanks for the info. on my Spa. But, converting to a Berk. or Dom. would be rather expensive for how much of a performance increase??? I don't know if it would be worth all the work and expense on my Spectra, Has anyone heard anything about how the new ATJ WJ Energizer kit performs???

montrone
06-08-2001, 08:44 AM
Bouhone,
Try http:www.AmericanTurbine.com.
they have specs and let you know about your pump.
from what i know i have the 12YJ kit and it's known to be a better performance than the 12WJ.
but check it out to see.....
Chris

Bouhone
06-08-2001, 09:35 AM
Chris, thanks for the info. Here's another question, ATJ and Aggressor both make Energizer kits for the WJ. Which kit would I get the greatest performance increase from?? I know there are minor differences between the Aggressor and ATJ pumps, due to different bowls, etc. I just want to know which would be a better choice for my boat.

beached1
06-08-2001, 11:14 AM
Bouhone,
I have an 20.5 Omega with a Jacuzzi WJ. What I have learned from the good people in this forum, is that the WJ is a Mixed Flow pump. The energizer kits are for people with Axial flow pumps such as the Jacuzzi YJ or Golden Eagle which converts the unit to a mixed flow. If you are good with glass, I would suggest converting your pump to a Berk, Legend, or Dominator. The WJ is a mixed flow like the others mentioned above but is still an inferior design when compared to them. You might whant to contact Jack at MPD 949-631-2040. I had at lot of questions similar to yours and this guy was very helpful. Good luck!

montrone
06-08-2001, 01:43 PM
He's right beached1,
if you want to convert, Berkley is the best, all thoguh Aggressor is not that bad, prob. better than the Jaccuzi if i am correct.
AT-309
12-S
SD-309
TJ-309/12TD Jetdrive Unit (standard)
Dominator Jetdrive Unit
Jetdrive Unit SD (super duty)
Transom Jet (mold-in replaces Berkeley 12JE) $2,651.00
$2,651.00
$2,774.00
$3,087.00
http://www.americanturbine.com/ take a look on this site and you'll get many more prices on the jets listed above, i guess it's just a matter of what you are looking to $ and what you like....
like Ron @ americanturbine said, the 12YJ pump will perform good on my 25 ft. Based only because it has the kit, other wise this jet won't perform good for this size boat.
let me know what you do....
thanks,
Chris

Bouhone
06-08-2001, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the info. guys. But the way I look at it is, rather than spending all that time and money on reglassing, buying a new or used pump, relocating my motor, etc. I figured I could buy the WJ Energizer kit for $1700ish, have a boat that I'm sure performs almost as well as having the actual pump in my boat and be able to save God knows how much money without doing all that major, expensive work. Because I don't have a clue when it comes to glass work. Let me know what you think....

Jetmugg
06-08-2001, 02:36 PM
I always get confused about which Jacuzzi is which, but you should definitely check out Jim Lee's website about the rebuild of his Jacuzzi pump ( I think a WJ. There is a link to jim's site from the Real Jet Boats website, and there is mucho good information there. Jim is a great guy, and willing to share information.
SteveM.

beached1
06-13-2001, 05:35 AM
Bouhone,
I'm in the same situation. My jet ski racing days have forced me to become an experienced fiberglass repair technician. he he. However, I am too lazy to change out my whole pump and housing and relocating my engine just to get better pump. I will be going for the WJ Energizer kit this winter. If you start your project anytime sooner, please post the details in this forum. If I beat you to it I'll do the same. Thanks. Good luck!

Bouhone
06-13-2001, 08:56 AM
Beached,
If you hear anything about how the WJ Energizer kit performs, please let me know. Because, I haven't heard any news on this kit yet. Probably because it is so new to the market. Thanks

beached1
06-13-2001, 12:00 PM
Sure will.

dpage
06-21-2001, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Jetmugg:
I always get confused about which Jacuzzi is which, but you should definitely check out Jim Lee's website about the rebuild of his Jacuzzi pump ( I think a WJ. There is a link to jim's site from the Real Jet Boats website, and there is mucho good information there. Jim is a great guy, and willing to share information.
Can you tell me the url for the Real jet boats web site??
Dennis
SteveM.

Eric
06-21-2001, 11:32 AM
Here's the RJB messageboard: http://disc.server.com/Indices/152642.html
Eric

jim lee
06-23-2001, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the kind words Steve!
My $.02 on WJ vs Berk swap? Unless your out on the track, drag racing and setting records.. Don't bother with the change. WJ's work great! If you had a YJ or a Golden Eagle and loved the boat, I'd be thinking on changing.
I've got two lakeboats here. One has a Ford 460 & Berk, one has a Olds 455 & WJ. Both work wonderful and are nothing but fun all day. The only difference I have been able to tell is that the power curve seems a little different. The berk seems to work better than the WJ in the mid range stuff. (Crusing) The WJ seems to do less until you hit about 3,500 RPM. From there on up I can't tell a difference.
Oh yeah, the WJ boat is about 10 MPH faster than the Berk. :-)
-jim lee

oldphart
06-24-2001, 09:26 AM
Hey Jim Lee, what exactly did you do to your WJ? who did the parts come from?
I have a 21' Spectra day cruiser with mild 460 that I bought to redoo. To put it mildly this boat is a dog. it has a WJ/B impeller.
This boat only does about 48 MPH (GPS) and rides like shit. Im hoping that a place diverter will improve the ride and a loading grate will pickup 5mph or so but thats still way short of the 68 mph my Tahiti Sidewinder with Berkley A impeller does. Any help you guys can give will be appreciated. By the way Spectra guy, got any suggestions for helping with the rough water ride of the cruiser?

spectras only
06-24-2001, 02:45 PM
Oldphart, a placediverter will help to keep your bow down for 1-2 foot chop to ride relatively comfortable between 20-30MPH.I switched to Bennett tabs long time ago [couldn't get a hydraulic place div then]and still have it on my boat, runs great in the Georgia Straight [quiet choppy most of the time and Okanagan Lake.The hydraulic Place diverter would be my choice ,since it has a quicker response than the tabs,especially if mounted on the wheel.I have this unit mounted on a 19 footer ,it's a blast.As your speed goes,yes it's a dog,but has nothing to do with the boat.Clamp on two 2.5 offshores and it will get you over a 100.Your Tahiti was probably a 18-19 footer and 800 pounds lighter.All Spectras were heavily built ,so you need serious horsepower to go 68 and over with a jet.A have a 1976 20.10 Spectra [2550 pounds dryweight by man spec,mine is closer to 2800 after floor mods] 429 CJ "AA" impeller ,Berkeley JG with American turbine nozzle turning 4750-80 RPM,60 MPH on GPS at sea level.4750RPM with a "AA" imp suggests about 450 HP.I never bothered to dyno this engine [the boat is a daycruiser ,not a racer],I built it in 1987 or 89 [loosing my marbles?]and it always popped the boat on plane with no fuss.Only once had to replace a single piston [Keith Black forged]due to bad gas[low octane] causing detonation.Never any other problem.If your boat is 73 or newer ,it probably has an engine box stringer system rather than a full lenght version.Spend the money like most Spectra owners and upgrade your boat with full length stringers with cross braces.It would fix your rough ride lament.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited June 24, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited June 24, 2001).]

jim lee
06-24-2001, 02:55 PM
Well here is the URL. I put everything here about rebuilding the poor abused thing.
http://www.concentric.net/~Jjlee/boats/WJRebuild.shtml
Hope this helps..
-jim lee

jaqquuuz
06-24-2001, 07:04 PM
If I remember correctly Jack took a 12wj and machined the jauqzzi bowl to install a berkly impeller. That way next time you rebuild your pump you just get the berkly rebuild kit, cost if I remember was about 1,500. Also picked up another 5-7 mph.