PDA

View Full Version : are rudders worth it

bighead
03-04-2005, 02:19 PM
I have been thinking about installing a rudder on my boat and am wondering if it is really worth it. The boat is a 87 20 foot Commander bbc power with a Berk je pump, ride plate and equipped with a place diverter. Do you really gain any significant control at lower speed or if you were to lose power at higher speeds as this boat likes to turn left when power is rapidly shut off at higher speed.

Hardin18 II
03-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Not in my opinion. Did not make a difference on my boat.

moneysucker
03-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Rudders will help in low speed operation and may scrub off some speed on the top end. I would get the smaller rudder if anything since the large one is gargantuan. I do not run one because of drag but I sacrifice a lot of convenience and comfort items for speed. You can find one on e-bay for dirt cheap and if you do not like it, put it back on e-bay and you will be out nothing.

HoffmanEagleMarine
03-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Bighead, I think the low speed control is there with a rudder. At high speed, make sure your seats are bolted down! I agree with Cy, you lose some speed on top end. I have a slightly used small polished rudder you can have for $45 bones.....Let me know, Doug

bighead
03-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Doug will the rudder you have fit a Place diverter setup?? and if it will I will take it and try it out. Thanks, Ted.

wet77
03-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Just something to keep in mind I have seen more than one jet boat with the owner holding peices of his nozel in his hands after the rudder hit something :hammerhea

wet77
03-04-2005, 03:36 PM
P.S. I have a rudder hanging on the wall its yours for shipping :eek:

napabob
03-04-2005, 03:48 PM
bighead,
I added a small polished rudder to the diverter to gain more control in 'No Wake' river navigation areas.
Two notches to the down position on the Place diverter gave me better handling. Those currents can tire you out after a while.
I don't have any data on MPH per GPS with or without the rudder in lake use. Maybe this summer.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/1/6782IM000273-med.JPG

moneysucker
03-04-2005, 04:04 PM
If you get a polished one, Paint it. Polished in the water is a real pain to keep up. I am trying a few things to protect it but it always turns color and is almost not worth it.