PDA

View Full Version : jacuzzi pump

Ryan Rose
03-05-2001, 07:35 PM
I am interested in purchasing a 1974 Glen Coe. It has a 455 Oldsmobile with a Jacuzzi Jet/Pump that has a Dominator Kit. I would like to know if anyone could please explain this set up to me. Could somebody please explain how this system works, the major points, etc. Also what sort of inspection/maintenance should be performed on the pump to see if it is in proper working condition. Thanks for any and all help.

spectras only
03-05-2001, 11:47 PM
Ryan,call Dave at California Marine, ph:604-278-1880. We did lots of Jacuzzi/dominator conversions in the past and Dave can give you information about the subject.

gstark
03-07-2001, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Rose:
I am interested in purchasing a 1974 Glen Coe. It has a 455 Oldsmobile with a Jacuzzi Jet/Pump that has a Dominator Kit. I would like to know if anyone could please explain this set up to me. Could somebody please explain how this system works, the major points, etc. Also what sort of inspection/maintenance should be performed on the pump to see if it is in proper working condition. Thanks for any and all help.
Ryan:
Suggest you call Cliff at Caliber 1 if you are interested in a Glencoe. He has a '73 18' with a strong running 455, a stage 1.5 Berkeley 12JC-A pump by MPD about 8 yrs ago, swim step, bimini top, generally excellent shape. Gel coat is 27+ years old, so fresh paint would be great. Totally reworked single axle trailer with removeable tongue, new UPF axle and disc brakes. I know, it was my former boat for 18 years. I still have all records, original invoices, etc, for this boat. The only thing it needs is a steering cable (about $100). Excellent ski boat. His no. is 909-738-0880.
glenn

440jetster
03-10-2001, 07:33 AM
The Jacuzzi was basically converted from and old style axial flow pump to a new style mixed flow pump. The conversion uses the original shaft, suction housing, transom adaptor, and bearing cap. The weak link is the mechanical seal. Fishing line could take it out, but the good part is parts are way cheaper than Jacuzzi and the drive is much faster. The Olds engine is the biggest drawback.Aftermarket parts are nill or very expensive, you have weak rods,a cast crank, cast pistons and poor flow heads. Depending on the price of the boat, you can allways upgrade to a Chevy, Ford, or Chrysler down the road. I'm currently renovating my boat, I had the Jacuzzi, Olds set up and I know the pain and sorrows of getting blown away at the lake.