PDA

View Full Version : Jetboat Backing...

1Bahnerjet
03-05-2005, 09:09 AM
has anybody ever tried or even seen a deal like this Backing down a Boat Ramp ? :messedup: :jawdrop: :squiggle:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1818DemoCar_Naci04Piston_015-med.jpg

malcolm
03-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Anything to keep from having two tow rigs! I do think it's illegal in most states though.

Jordy
03-05-2005, 09:19 AM
I do think it's illegal in most states though.
Not in Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, and that's just off the top of my head. Hell, in Utah you can run triples. ;)
As far as backing them up, you drop the 5th wheel first. I'm sure there are some people out there who can back a set of doubles in anything other than a straight line, but that is the exception rather than the rule. :boxed:

wsuwrhr
03-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Anything to keep from having two tow rigs! I do think it's illegal in most states though.
A "fifth wheel" and a ball hitch are not illegal in California. I think there is a length limit though.
Brian
edit:::Jordy beat me to it.

wsuwrhr
03-05-2005, 09:21 AM
I'm sure there are some people out there who can back a set of doubles in anything other than a straight line, but that is the exception rather than the rule. :boxed:
That would be interesting to try,
Brian

bakerjet
03-05-2005, 09:22 AM
legal here in new mexico as long as the first trailer is a fifth wheel,tripple pulling is pretty common. :cool:

malcolm
03-05-2005, 09:23 AM
I figured it was OK down in AZ because I saw guys doing it when I was down there in 02. I know we can't do it up here (from what I've heard). Hell, maybe we're the only state that can't. Damn liberal bastards run WA!

Jordy
03-05-2005, 09:30 AM
That would be interesting to try,
Brian
I wouldn't want to be waiting on the launch ramp for them to figure it out. :( :D

dtr352
03-05-2005, 09:44 AM
I think the limit is 60 ft. for the trailers. I have only seen it done at the lake once. Pretty cool too wach. I have a buddy that tows a fifth wheel with his dunebuggy/ quad trailer behind it out to the dunes all the time. Backing up loocks challenging but he pulls it off.

1Bahnerjet
03-05-2005, 10:56 AM
I think the limit is 60 ft. for the trailers. I have only seen it done at the lake once. Pretty cool too wach. I have a buddy that tows a fifth wheel with his dunebuggy/ quad trailer behind it out to the dunes all the time. Backing up loocks challenging but he pulls it off.
thats what I mean, you could make backin' that deal into a Competition. :idea: there's alway those people who hang around boat ramps just to watch the show. :)

Heatseeker
03-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I read somewhere that the length limit is 75' in CA.

Albert_B
03-05-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure you have to have a CDL with a double/triple endorsement to do it in CA.

Flying Tiger
03-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Middle trailer has to be a 5th and have brakes.
70 ft max.
If you can back all three rigs that's pretty good, especially on lumpy launchramps.

LUVNLIFE
03-05-2005, 06:28 PM
You do have to have a CDL in Calif.

kp216
03-05-2005, 07:04 PM
I pull double here. 3/4 ton quad cab Dodge w/Cummins, 28' double slide 5th wheel and then my 18' jet. From the nose of my truck to the nozzle of my jet is right at 65'.
When we get to where we're camping, I drop the boat, set the camper and then hook back to the boat. There's no way I'm gonna back both, unless it's a dead straight line, and then only for a few feet with spotters.

1978 Rogers
03-05-2005, 09:25 PM
I think it's legal in most central states. I wouldn't be wise to pull doubles in a down town in any state. Good luck taking a corner.

jrork
03-06-2005, 07:45 AM
Wish we could do it here. Not often, but it would be handy sometimes.

dirtman
03-06-2005, 08:58 AM
You're right about the in town stuff, it's tricky. I try to plan for fuel stops at card locks ( lots of room ) stay out of situations where I might have to get out and unhook to avoid dragging the boat trailer over something. :D

1978 Rogers
03-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Can you pass through that doesn't allow tamdom trailers? Do you have to drive around?

1Bahnerjet
03-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Can you pass through that doesn't allow tamdom trailers? Do you have to drive around?
I'm thinkin' whatever state your in you obey its Laws. :idea:

1978 Rogers
03-06-2005, 08:36 PM
I was just curious. I was just wondering if you start in one state, say Oregon and heading to Montana via Idaho. If it's not allowed in Idaho, would you have to drive around?

dave186
03-06-2005, 08:49 PM
dont know what idahos laws are buy my grandpa used to pull doubles. he had like a 25' camper then a 19' boat that he towed behind that. the camper wasnt a 5th wheel either. i dont think he ever got in trouble for it. and the big rigs tow triples all the time...

Tahiti350
03-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Towing like that would make my life easier, and cheaper. Right now the plan is for me to drive the truck with the 30" 5th wheel, and the wife to drive the Draggin'Wagon with the sled. I may have to check into what it takes in Washinton and Oregon. Will let everyone know what I find out.
If I can tow doubles I might reconsider the Lake Owyhee trip in July.

1978 Rogers
03-06-2005, 09:55 PM
I haven't seen tandom trailers pulled in Washington in,------ well since I was a kid.
I did see a rig in Fife about 10 years ago. I retired (old white hair) guy had his boat, still on the trailer up in the back of this pickup. He had a rack system built with a winch to pull the trailer up. Then he was pulling a 20 foot or so travel trailer. The boat was a aluminium fishing boat, maybe 16-18 feet.

Brooski
03-07-2005, 11:52 PM
I pull double here. 3/4 ton quad cab Dodge w/Cummins, 28' double slide 5th wheel and then my 18' jet. From the nose of my truck to the nozzle of my jet is right at 65'.
When we get to where we're camping, I drop the boat, set the camper and then hook back to the boat. There's no way I'm gonna back both, unless it's a dead straight line, and then only for a few feet with spotters.
Dang, I need to watch the boards more often. I didnt know I was the subject of a debate. :p I have a 2500HD chevy, 26ft 5th wheel, with an 18 ft boat. I believe California gives you an extra 5' if the middle trailer is less than 30ft. I agree with kp216, I drop the boat, set up the 5th wheel, then launch the boat. I do like the idea of a competition. And I do have a class A license with all the endorsements. You have to watch the corners a little, but it is not as bad as it seems. Just think ahead and dont put yourself in a situation where you have to back up. Compared to hauling a D8 Catepiller Dozer on a lowbed up a one lane road, this thing is piece of cake :rolleyes:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Not in Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, and that's just off the top of my head. Hell, in Utah you can run triples. ;)
As far as backing them up, you drop the 5th wheel first. I'm sure there are some people out there who can back a set of doubles in anything other than a straight line, but that is the exception rather than the rule. :boxed:
That would be impossible at saguaro lake :D :D Its bad enough that them idiots out there cant back a single trailer in. Some of those guys make me wanna fight people;)

1Bahnerjet
03-08-2005, 02:53 PM
since this is a Backing Thread, does anyone else think those Guy's Backing JetSkis are the worst, & how can it take so long to get something so small & lite on & off the Trailer :rolleyes:

spectras only
03-08-2005, 04:14 PM
since this is a Backing Thread, does anyone else think those Guy's Backing JetSkis are the worst, & how can it take so long to get something so small & lite on & off the Trailer :rolleyes:
They're doing that just to bug the real boaters :rollside:

Brooski
03-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Maybe its because anything under 18ft, the brain size relates to the watercraft size. (18 ft and over does not relate the same, :p )

moneysucker
03-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Back up until you can see the trailer off one side of the mini van then get out and lift the trailer and kick it over straiit, back up .... repeat.

1978 Rogers
03-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Trailer? It takes just as long for them to slide them out the back of a pickup. :burningm:

malcolm
03-09-2005, 08:06 AM
Or mini-van! :D