PDA

View Full Version : Lake Havasu High School

phebus
03-05-2005, 12:05 PM
I am considering a permanent move to Lake Havsu City, and would like to know if there are any members on the board that have kids that attend Lake Havasu High School. I have a 16yo. daughter that would be enrolled there.
Please no wise ass comments, This is a serious time of my life, and I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
Thanks,
Rick

Phat Matt
03-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Please no wise ass comments,
You do know where you are posting this...right? :hammerhea :D

phebus
03-05-2005, 12:14 PM
You do know where you are posting this...right? :hammerhea :D
Yea, I know, but I hope to limit the wise ass comments. I can take anything, but this is a very serious situation for my family.

Phat Matt
03-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Yea, I know, but I hope to limit the wise ass comments. I can take anything, but this is a very serious situation for my family.
It's kinda like taking a fatty to the buffet and telling them not to fill their plate though. :D
I hear ya and good luck. I had friends who went there 10 years ago and they turned out fine for the most part.

LHC Kirby
03-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Rick / Linda / Nicole
Before we bought the lot and built the house - we went to the High School and spoke with a Vice Principal and asked a lot of questions. At the time (4 years ago) they had a good thing going in the programs departement that the twins would be enrolled in. I would imagine it would be pretty much the same or better than 4 years ago now. We were thinking of a temp. move of the boys and Wendy out there to "avoid" the CA exit exam - being that AZ did not intend on implementing their test until class of 2006. When CA extended the requirement to the same year - and the boys graduated in 2004 :jawdrop: - it was a mute point to make the temp. move.
Anything I can do to help - let me know.

Squirtin Thunder
03-05-2005, 01:06 PM
I am considering a permanent move to Lake Havsu City, and would like to know if there are any members on the board that have kids that attend Lake Havasu High School. I have a 16yo. daughter that would be enrolled there.
Please no wise ass comments, This is a serious time of my life, and I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
Thanks,
Rick
Rick,
I met you and your Daughter and feel she could excell at any school.
Good Luck Brother
Jim

HavasuHome
03-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks,
Rick
Contact SlowinHavasu. He lives in Havasu full time. Has a daughter who just graduated from the high school last year and has another one currently attending the high school and plays on the Vollyball team.

SHOTKALLIN
03-05-2005, 03:03 PM
maybe hot boat needs to add a new section to the forums. the don't be a wise ass just answer my focking question section. :D

Floored
03-05-2005, 04:35 PM
some info here , will look for more. http://www.lakehavasuhighschool.org/

phebus
03-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Contact SlowinHavasu. He lives in Havasu full time. Has a daughter who just graduated from the high school last year and has another one currently attending the high school and plays on the Vollyball team.
Thanks for the contact. I sent him a PM and email.

jdogginla
03-05-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm confused........you're selling your house in Havi and going to move to Havi full time? :hammer2:

phebus
03-05-2005, 05:47 PM
I'm confused........you're selling your house in Havi and going to move to Havi full time? :hammer2:
My plan was to sell the Havasu house in order to cut costs, and remain in Orange County, and allow our daughter to finish High School here. Now, because of financial concerns, we may do just the opposite, and move to LHC in order to cut costs, and our daughter would finish high school there. Prior to making any decisions, I am trying to do a little research on the school system out there.
As of now, the Havasu house is still for sale. If it sells, we will be in the market for another home out there. The home were selling probably isn't the house we would make our permanent home anyway.

Squirtin Thunder
03-05-2005, 06:54 PM
My plan was to sell the Havasu house in order to cut costs, and remain in Orange County, and allow our daughter to finish High School here. Now, because of financial concerns, we may do just the opposite, and move to LHC in order to cut costs, and our daughter would finish high school there. Prior to making any decisions, I am trying to do a little research on the school system out there.
As of now, the Havasu house is still for sale. If it sells, we will be in the market for another home out there. The home were selling probably isn't the house we would make our permanent home anyway.
I think getting out of CA will help cut costs better than anything else.
It seems to me that so schools are much better than others just by moving 15min down the road.
Give me a call if you want.
Jim

Floored
03-05-2005, 07:39 PM
another link http://www.ade.state.az.us/srcs/ReportCards/55652005.pdf tells about the school :sleeping: and http://www.ade.state.az.us/and a demographic report http://www.publicschoolreview.com/school_overview.php

phebus
03-05-2005, 08:49 PM
another link http://www.ade.state.az.us/srcs/ReportCards/55652005.pdf tells about the school :sleeping: and http://www.ade.state.az.us/and a demographic report http://www.publicschoolreview.com/school_overview.php
Thanks for the links. Now I just have to make sense of them.

Krazy K
03-05-2005, 09:05 PM
maybe hot boat needs to add a new section to the forums. the "don't be a wise ass just answer my focking question" section. :D
Now that's funny!!! :D :D :D

Floored
03-05-2005, 09:09 PM
the last one you hit "search schools" then go to pick state then scroll the list to Lake Havasu high school and it gives more info. :confused:

phebus
03-06-2005, 07:58 AM
I'll be going out next weeek to talk to the school officials. My main concern is that classes she has taken here are transferable for credits there, so she will remain on track to graduate without having to take additional classes.

Steph
03-07-2005, 12:16 AM
I have heard mixed things about it. From talking to people from havasu and over hearing convos while hanging out in town.
Some people say that it is a great school with respectable students. Then there is the other extreme that there is a lot of drug consumation (more than a few CA high schools this group of kids have been too) They told me it was because there wasnt anything to do in the winter so they turn to drugs, drinking and sex.
So, I have concluded that it depends who you talk to.

waterdog
03-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Our family moved here last year with a 12 year old daughter who attends Daytona. Nothing but positive experiences so far. Our daughter is doing better than she was in SoCal and we have alot of weekly feedback in the form of email progress reports from the teachers. I understand the highschool will be going to year round school which we have found to be a blessing as far as planning trips/vacations out of the city. The highschool does have a dress code (uniform) which the middle schools will be adopting also. I think it is limited to the shirt only, saves some money on designer stuff. Hope this is some help.

Backfire
03-07-2005, 08:31 AM
My daughter graduated from LHHS (third in her class) in 2001 and my son Nick will probably graduate in the top 5 next year.
I somewhat doubt the rumors of drug use because LHHS is pretty quick about eliminating problem kids and sending them either to their off-site "alternative" facility, called "Round Table" or one of the local "charter schools".
I feel that my kids have recieved a much better education here than they could have recieved in the Ca. District where we lived.
One reason I came out here is because I knew my daughter was brilliant and I didn't want her spirit to be broken in the competition with asian students for scholarships.
The silver lining in Az is that the state universities grant full scholarships to the top 5% of every public high school's graduating seniors without regard to any other factors such as race, economic need, medical condition, or any other of those things that normally disqualify normal white people. These scholarships are based strictly on merit!
Our experience with Lake Havasu schools has been positive!

phebus
03-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks to all with the serious comments about Lake Havasu High school. It looks like as of now, a full time move to Lake Havasu is becoming a certainty. It is comforting to hear positive comments on the high school. I couldn't live with myself if I went into the deal knowing I was doing something negative that would effect my daughter for the rest of her life. This isn't something we planned on, and the entire family is going through a tough time. Life sure can take some serious turns, and I'm sure this will all work out.

summerlove
03-07-2005, 07:24 PM
My daughter graduated from LHHS (third in her class) in 2001 and my son Nick will probably graduate in the top 5 next year.
I somewhat doubt the rumors of drug use because LHHS is pretty quick about eliminating problem kids and sending them either to their off-site "alternative" facility, called "Round Table" or one of the local "charter schools".
I feel that my kids have recieved a much better education here than they could have recieved in the Ca. District where we lived.
One reason I came out here is because I knew my daughter was brilliant and I didn't want her spirit to be broken in the competition with asian students for scholarships.
The silver lining in Az is that the state universities grant full scholarships to the top 5% of every public high school's graduating seniors without regard to any other factors such as race, economic need, medical condition, or any other of those things that normally disqualify normal white people. These scholarships are based strictly on merit!
Our experience with Lake Havasu schools has been positive!
Rick, sounds like your feedback is good. Also sounds like the school is well received by those in the know. Good luck with yor decision - it is a difficult one and if you want my advice, you need to do what is right for you and your family. The friends left back in Cali are frequent visitors to Havasu, Nicole will always have weekend visitors, and you and Linda will settle into a comfortable time of life that will be much less stressful. Who knows, maybe you'll become a RE agent like everyone else! ;) Now, ask Johnna's opinion, and she think's I'm nuts - go figure! :D

phebus
03-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Rick, sounds like your feedback is good. Also sounds like the school is well received by those in the know. Good luck with yor decision - it is a difficult one and if you want my advice, you need to do what is right for you and your family. The friends left back in Cali are frequent visitors to Havasu, Nicole will always have weekend visitors, and you and Linda will settle into a comfortable time of life that will be much less stressful. Who knows, maybe you'll become a RE agent like everyone else! ;) Now, ask Johnna's opinion, and she think's I'm nuts - go figure! :D
Rick, thank you very much for your kind words and support. Good friends are hard to find, and we fell lucky to have met you and your fantastic family.
Rick, Linda and Nicole