PDA

View Full Version : jl audio

BADASS38CHEVY
03-06-2005, 08:24 PM
So far this is what stereo system that i have come up with to install in my new deck boat. i will be run the pioneer remotes 2 of the CD-MR70 remotes, 2-GEX-P910XM xm module,1-AN-91XM xm antenna, 1-DEH-P960MP deck .jl audio (2) Ws7 12 subs powered by (2) 1000/1 jl amps,and (7) pairs of the jl audio vr650-cxi coaxles powered by (3) 300/4 jl amps. running (3) oddessy 1700 batterys that will be charged with a 2000 watt honda generator and the aps iota dls -90. any feedback on this set up.

INSman
03-06-2005, 08:29 PM
uh, that will work more than just fine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BADASS38CHEVY
03-06-2005, 09:00 PM
That is a lot of equipment. I also have JL and would use nothing but JL. Should so very loud. Loud is good but clean sounding is still what you should strive for. Who is doing your install? Laveycraft uses Transonic to do some of the high end installs.

SoundsGood
03-06-2005, 09:18 PM
I was considering JL 6.5 coaxials too but, a few guys on here have recommended MB Quart rounds. I have 2 JL w3's pushed by a 500/1 amp and it will make some wake...your system will really kick some serious a$$!

BADASS38CHEVY
03-06-2005, 09:47 PM
I was considering JL 6.5 coaxials too but, a few guys on here have recommended MB Quart rounds. I have 2 JL w3's pushed by a 500/1 amp and it will make some wake...your system will really kick some serious a$$!
Im getting a really good deal on all of the jl equipment,about 50% off all new stuff thats why im going with the jl coaxilas instead of the mb quarts.hopefully the mids and highs sound good.

Phat Matt
03-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Damn. If it doesn't sound good I would be pissed! That should more than rock! How are you getting the deal on the stuff?

BADASS38CHEVY
03-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Damn. If it doesn't sound good I would be pissed! That should more than rock! How are you getting the deal on the stuff?
one of my good friends brother works for jl audio.

INSman
03-06-2005, 10:23 PM
I have (8) of the JL coax's in my 23' right now along with a pair of JL 10w6v2's I think and my system sounds very, very nice.. Yours should KILL !!!

BADASS38CHEVY
03-06-2005, 10:26 PM
I have (8) of the JL coax's in my 23' right now along with a pair of JL 10w6v2's I think and my system sounds very, very nice.. Yours should KILL !!!
are your subs in a ported box or sealed ?

Phat Matt
03-06-2005, 10:30 PM
one of my good friends brother works for jl audio.
That would be a good hook up! I would love to hear it when it's done. I was contemplating between 2 12w7's or 2 12w6v2's powered by a single 1000/1 in a deck boat set up.

BADASS38CHEVY
03-06-2005, 10:50 PM
That would be a good hook up! I would love to hear it when it's done. I was contemplating between 2 12w7's or 2 12w6v2's powered by a single 1000/1 in a deck boat set up.
I think im going alittle over kill,but at least i can turn down the amps.i just dont want to add speakers and amps and more wiring later.most people want to add more after there done.i dont think i will need to add anything with this system.

ROZ
03-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Since your hookup works for JL, you'll likely be getting better than 50 off.. Go for a 13w7 for each 1000/1 and g ZR components... Then a gain, that may be just a TAD more than overkill :D
The setup you have listed will, without a doubt, rock!

BADASS38CHEVY
03-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Since your hookup works for JL, you'll likely be getting better than 50 off.. Go for a 13w7 for each 1000/1 and g ZR components... Then a gain, that may be just a TAD more than overkill :D
The setup you have listed will, without a doubt, rock!
Hey Roz whats happening ? you think i sould go with the 13w7? will that sound better ? i went with the coaxiles because i dont care for the look of the big and small speaker look but think that the components would probably sound better.i just want one hole for the speaker.What is a gain ? Thanks.

mbrown2
03-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Badass....that system sounds pretty crazy...lots of power....heck might even need two of those APS 90's for it to keep power to all those amps......but then that would mean two generators...cause again, that's alot amp with lots of amp requirements....
The W7's are the best but overkill IMO and the watts they require to push them which causes the battery and charging source requirements to go up, makes it a tough choice....but they are going to be loud...just make sure the sub enclosures are perfect...I would go with a vented slot loaded enclosure to get maximum volume out of it...Also, Transonic does some good work if they are doing it.
Good luck

ROZ
03-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Badass....that system sounds pretty crazy...lots of power....heck might even need two of those APS 90's for it to keep power to all those amps......but then that would mean two generators...cause again, that's alot amp with lots of amp requirements....
The W7's are the best but overkill IMO and the watts they require to push them which causes the battery and charging source requirements to go up, makes it a tough choice....but they are going to be loud...just make sure the sub enclosures are perfect...I would go with a vented slot loaded enclosure to get maximum volume out of it...Also, Transonic does some good work if they are doing it.
Good luck
True dat :D
If I was looking to do ported enclosures, I'd go w6v2's... I think the 7's sound best is sealed enclosures, but that's me......

Krumbsnatcher
03-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Im getting a really good deal on all of the jl equipment,about 50% off all new stuff thats why im going with the jl coaxilas instead of the mb quarts.hopefully the mids and highs sound good.
Have you got a hold of the new Marine line?
If so how?

rvrhlic
03-07-2005, 04:37 PM
IMO - you don't need the w7's. I have 2 12w6v2's in my boat (magic deckboat) and they sound great. The w7's are great but you can save a boat load of $$$$ going with the w6's.
again, just my opinion.

INSman
03-07-2005, 04:37 PM
are your subs in a ported box or sealed ?
My boxes are sealed. The JL website has install suggestions for their subs and will give you the ported or sealed options to consider.

rvrhlic
03-07-2005, 04:47 PM
My are sealed too. Car Tayz did my box an install, if you are looking for a good shop, i would recommend them.

TrojanDan
03-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Dub 7's Rule. We have two 10w7's (due to space limitations) powered by one JL 1000/1. Your 12's or 13's can handle a 1000/1 each! :eek: Be glad you have that generator. With all the weight of this gear, you'll probably need to blow your engine. :D
Roz is the man for the JL stuff!

BADASS38CHEVY
03-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Have you got a hold of the new Marine line?
If so how?
No i dont have a hook up on those yet.im wondering whats going to be out there for high end stuff.

BADASS38CHEVY
03-07-2005, 05:01 PM
IMO - you don't need the w7's. I have 2 12w6v2's in my boat (magic deckboat) and they sound great. The w7's are great but you can save a boat load of $$$$ going with the w6's.
again, just my opinion.
I figure since im getting the killer deal on the jl stuff money is not so much of a issue,so go for the best.this is a one time deal for me on this jl stuff so i want to do this right.

INSman
03-07-2005, 05:26 PM
The marine stuff is not all that exciting and is somewhat limited in selection.

BoatFloating
03-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Good luck
Mike, I talked to Badass and tried to talk him out of the 2 1000/1 and the W7's. I had a couple of concerns. One with the Lavey Deck or any deck for the fact you are limited to places to put speakers. The box size is bigger on the W7 by .50 to 1.00 just for sealed and .75 to 1.25 on the ported more room need for the same size speaker. I told him the bass sound might be over bearing and the area the subs are placed if under seats in compartment what not are going to take a beating. The other issue is how to power and keep it powered. He did contact me regarding the APS 90 and as you know the Honda is at the limits running the APS 90 let alone 2 of them. So a second generator would be needed. The 1000/1 at peak draw 100+ amps per hour so that's 200 amp hours just on the sub amps then throw in the 3 300/4's and your taxing any battery or inverter system you have..... :hammer2:
It will sound good but my concern is how does it sound when it's off because of no power...... :2purples: I think W6's with 1 1000/1 would be more than good IMO...

BADASS38CHEVY
03-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Mike, I talked to Badass and tried to talk him out of the 2 1000/1 and the W7's. I had a couple of concerns. One with the Lavey Deck or any deck for the fact you are limited to places to put speakers. The box size is bigger on the W7 by .50 to 1.00 just for sealed and .75 to 1.25 on the ported more room need for the same size speaker. I told him the bass sound might be over bearing and the area the subs are placed if under seats in compartment what not are going to take a beating. The other issue is how to power and keep it powered. He did contact me regarding the APS 90 and as you know the Honda is at the limits running the APS 90 let alone 2 of them. So a second generator would be needed. The 1000/1 at peak draw 100+ amps per hour so that's 200 amp hours just on the sub amps then throw in the 3 300/4's and your taxing any battery or inverter system you have..... :hammer2:
It will sound good but my concern is how does it sound when it's off because of no power...... :2purples: I think W6's with 1 1000/1 would be more than good IMO...Boatfloating,i had been thinking about what you said when i talked to you and figured that the system will not always be playing at high volume so i thought that it would be ok to run the w7s instead of the w6s because the volume wont be always high.do the w7s draw that much amps even though they are at low volume?the bass location has plenty of room for ported boxes.

mbrown2
03-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Boatfloating,i had been thinking about what you said when i talked to you and figured that the system will not always be playing at high volume so i thought that it would be ok to run the w7s instead of the w6s because the volume wont be always high.do the w7s draw that much amps even though they are at low volume?the bass location has plenty of room for ported boxes.
The W7's are almost twice the weight of W6 and require 2/3 more watts to push them and require almost twice the box for them. So with two amps running at mild volumes you are still going to draw quite a bit of amps. Unless you are going to be entering sound competitions where SPL is measured, I think I would go with W6's and save on weight, amp draw and enclosure size....
Someone I know with a boat like mine went with W7's and 4K watts of power and after all was said and done told me they probably would have went with W6's instead...just a cleaner sounding bass. Not sure which engine package you are going with, and I know I/O's are less susceptible to weight, but I would second guess myself in adding unnecessary weight for stereo components that are not going to make a significant install in the boat....just my .02....either way the system is going to sound sick..

BADASS38CHEVY
03-07-2005, 10:56 PM
The W7's are almost twice the weight of W6 and require 2/3 more watts to push them and require almost twice the box for them. So with two amps running at mild volumes you are still going to draw quite a bit of amps. Unless you are going to be entering sound competitions where SPL is measured, I think I would go with W6's and save on weight, amp draw and enclosure size....
Someone I know with a boat like mine went with W7's and 4K watts of power and after all was said and done told me they probably would have went with W6's instead...just a cleaner sounding bass. Not sure which engine package you are going with, and I know I/O's are less susceptible to weight, but I would second guess myself in adding unnecessary weight for stereo components that are not going to make a significant install in the boat....just my .02....either way the system is going to sound sick..
So if i run (2) 13.5 W6s in a ported box,would i use 1 or 2 1000/1 amps? which one would sound best and still hit hard.

ROZ
03-07-2005, 11:06 PM
I just want to add that the enclosure for the w7 will have to be built 2x as strong as the box for the w6. Whoever build it will make the baffle 1.5" thick and the remainder of the box 1" think. In other words, If weight is an issue.....
Also, speakers are resistors. They don't pull current. Your amp outputs whatever your finger demands....
4 6v's may be your solution

mbrown2
03-07-2005, 11:08 PM
So if i run (2) 13.5 W6s in a ported box,would i use 1 or 2 1000/1 amps? which one would sound best and still hit hard.
You would only need 1 JL1000/1 for both 13.5's....2 1000's would over power them....Yes, they would hit. I have 600watts running to a single 12 W6 and it hits in a slot loaded enclosure....sounds like 2 12's.

ROZ
03-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Since the potential is 320 amps, your installer will likely run seperate 1/0 runs for your 2 10001 and your 3 3004's...That way they can run a 200amp ANL fuse for the 1001's and a 150amp anl fuse for your 3004's..

Magic34
03-08-2005, 05:13 AM
For what it's worth.....
I put a ton of power and speakers in my boat. Like you, I also had a hookup on equipment. I needed a lot of batteries to keep the thing working all day. You are on the right track with the genny.
I used 7000 watts of JBL power with their 12" GTI subs and 12 MB 6.5" marine speakers. If I was to do it again, I would have done the subs differently. To throw that much power in a boat the way I did was overkill in the sense that maybe moving some things and not using the top end speakers that required so many watts, I could have achieved nearly the same sound and not have used 4 amps, maybe only 3. For the highs, I would do it exactly the same again. So go all out on those, but look for an efficient option on the subs, and you will gain a lot of play time, maybe w/o running the genny all the time.
I think JBL is good, but JL is better and your boat should rock. Each boat is different, so my advice may not work for what you want. I wanted the loudest, and I think some placement of speakers kept me from getting exactly what I wanted. It was loud, but I think there were louder. If this is your goal, dont be hestitant about losing stoage space, either under seats or elsewhere. If I would have put the subs under the back seat, I think I would have been deaf right now, but I wanted the stupid cooler under the rear bench.
Good Luck!!

BoatFloating
03-08-2005, 07:17 AM
Boatfloating,i had been thinking about what you said when i talked to you and figured that the system will not always be playing at high volume so i thought that it would be ok to run the w7s instead of the w6s because the volume wont be always high.do the w7s draw that much amps even though they are at low volume?the bass location has plenty of room for ported boxes.
Badass, Like Mbrown said putting w7's will still need more power to run. You can't tell me your planning on putting in 14 6.5 speaker 2 12 w7's amd 5 amps just to have nice quite day on the lake.... :) It's kinda like having a Funny Car that likes to go super fast, you don't buy it to drive in traffic to go to work. There are systems out there that are over kill and are made for sound comps and to me are a waste of money. With that being said because you're getting a great deal on the JL stuff you can't go wrong and you mentioned you rathe do it right the first time and not add stuff later. That works both ways you also don't want to be downgrading because you can't power the system too. So if you can't power it what are you going to do with the extra 1000/1. Sure you can sell it but you got to rip it out. We are giving you something to think about.... Like Mike said either way it's going to sound sick...... But the key is to keep it playing when you want it to play..... :)

Phat Matt
03-08-2005, 09:24 AM
So if you can't power it what are you going to do with the extra 1000/1. Sure you can sell it but you got to rip it out. We are giving you something to think about.... Like Mike said either way it's going to sound sick...... But the key is to keep it playing when you want it to play..... :)
By the time he's ripping it out, I should be ready to buy it. ;)

Magic34
03-08-2005, 01:38 PM
I agree with the above.
I think my subs are 50+ pounds each. I used 4 massive 12" subs. I had the room for them, but I would not do it that way again. Without a doubt, I would use a middle of the line sub and try to make it more efficient than overpower it. I am buying another boat, and I'll go a little easier on the next one.

rvrhlic
03-08-2005, 02:51 PM
You would only need 1 JL1000/1 for both 13.5's....2 1000's would over power them....Yes, they would hit. I have 600watts running to a single 12 W6 and it hits in a slot loaded enclosure....sounds like 2 12's.
I have a pair of the 12W6V2's in my boat it they sound great. Yours will sound even better as i am underpowered a little since I am using a 500/1 to power both. If you want to part with the 1000/1 I am sure that I can take it off your hands!

BADASS38CHEVY
03-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Badass, Like Mbrown said putting w7's will still need more power to run. You can't tell me your planning on putting in 14 6.5 speaker 2 12 w7's amd 5 amps just to have nice quite day on the lake.... :) It's kinda like having a Funny Car that likes to go super fast, you don't buy it to drive in traffic to go to work. There are systems out there that are over kill and are made for sound comps and to me are a waste of money. With that being said because you're getting a great deal on the JL stuff you can't go wrong and you mentioned you rathe do it right the first time and not add stuff later. That works both ways you also don't want to be downgrading because you can't power the system too. So if you can't power it what are you going to do with the extra 1000/1. Sure you can sell it but you got to rip it out. We are giving you something to think about.... Like Mike said either way it's going to sound sick...... But the key is to keep it playing when you want it to play..... :) Sould i go with ported or sealed with 1 pairs of 13w6s ?

ROZ
03-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Sould i go with ported or sealed with 1 pairs of 13w6s ?
The volume difference isn't much. If you have the ability for your guy to slotload the driver, go for it...

BoatFloating
03-08-2005, 10:20 PM
The volume difference isn't much. If you have the ability for your guy to slotload the driver, go for it...
Yeah what he said.......
:D

BADASS38CHEVY
03-11-2005, 12:42 AM
what does slotload the driver mean?

Phat Matt
03-11-2005, 09:22 AM
what does slotload the driver mean?
They meant slutload. Because when you are bumpin your shit, you'll have a slut load of chicks on your boat. ;)
Or refer to page 2. (http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/pdfs/W6v2_MAN.pdf)