PDA

View Full Version : Roz...or HH...

SoundsGood
03-06-2005, 09:12 PM
What does a relay do for a multiple amp remote turn on lead? Can you just split the wire with a connector or 'piggy back' the remote lead from 1st amp to 2nd amp? I know there is minimum voltage needed for the remote wire. For my system, I have a remote lead wire from the ignition and it powers up this way fine. I was wondering if things would be different if I had used an aftermarket headunit's remote turn on lead? BTW, I was checking out Roz's diagram for greygoose. That was a really nice layout. Everybody's time (expertise) on here is really appreciated!!!

Havasu Hangin'
03-06-2005, 09:23 PM
A relay is used to keep the remote turn-ons from the (multiple) amps overdrawing the current capability from the remote turn-on on the head unit (and frying it).
A Bosch relay uses the 12+ from the remote lead off the head unit to activate a switch. This switch directs current from another source (12+ constant) to the amps, instead of using the current from the remote lead from the head unit.
Daisy chaining the amp remote turn-on leads together will not lower the current requirements- it only means the additive current is drawn through a single wire.
I don't like to use ignition switches for amp turn-on due to noise and running the amps when not using them, but that is only my personal preference.
I also have to commend Roz- he is coloring inside the lines much better these days!
:D

SoundsGood
03-21-2005, 10:39 AM
I'm wondering about wire gauge size for relay ( into & out). What size wire (and fuse) from an Alpine 9833 remote wire? Can I just splice the existing HU remote wire and add a fuse there then attach to #86 post of relay?
3rd question: If I have (3) remote wires coming off #30 postion of relay, is there a connector that will accept 3 wires and THEN connect to the #30 post of the relay. Or should I just connect all three wires to the #30 post?
I was thinking about 10-12 gauge wire for battery constant 12V with 25A fuse and 16-18 gauge wires for remote turn ons with 5A-7.5A fuses for each.
What do you guys think?
As always thanks in advance!!!

ROZ
03-21-2005, 05:49 PM
From the headunit fuse 7.5 ..You can use 16ga...
Your constant 12v should be fuse the total of your potential current draw.. 12ga 25amp will be more than enough.. You can pigtail or you can buy a 4place fused barrier strip from pepboys.. They sell a covered one... 12v in, 4 fused out... Ground should be as large as the largest gauge wire used... Throw in some Neon while you're at it... :D