PDA

View Full Version : Bassett vs Rewarder

Squirtin Thunder
03-07-2005, 02:29 PM
What is the biggest design differance between the two ??? I am talking about the standard jetboat headers, not the twisted ones or custom fits.
Thanks
Jim

moneysucker
03-07-2005, 04:40 PM
The biggest difference is the name plate.

Performance 19
03-07-2005, 05:05 PM
The biggest difference is quality, hands down! Rewarder is nothing but a cheap copy of Bassett.

jstwkd
03-07-2005, 05:06 PM
I have had two pairs of rewarders very happy with his product....

Fogged Gullwing
03-07-2005, 08:26 PM
The biggest difference is quality, hands down! Rewarder is nothing but a cheap copy of Bassett.
I don't think so and their product line is much deeper turbo headers / step headers etc. I've seen Brooke weld first hand and she kicks ass!! So what are you talking about materials? they use the same tube everyone else does. Their flanges are also top notch. Plus Jim and Brooke are the nicest people you will ever meet.
BK

Jetboatguru
03-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Not a very nice remark about Rewarder. Did you have a bad experience with them Performance 19? If so, do tell. If not, you might want to rethink your remarks about Rewarder. They have been nothing but a blessing for our racing and overall boating. Jim is a stand up guy and his company has never done me wrong.
Tony Scarlata

wsuwrhr
03-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Ouch.
Harsh.
Brian
Edit: Guru beat me to it

steelcomp
03-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Frankly, the opposite is true. Not the copy part, but I've seen some sorry Basset production mass produced headers. Every rewarder header is hand made by some pretty talented people, and as posted, there's no better a person to deal with than Jim McComb. (sp?) I doubt there's a person out there who has a legitimate gripe with Rewarder. A lot of businesses could go by his example.

jdf
03-07-2005, 09:05 PM
all 7 of our boats have rewarder's love them

1978 Rogers
03-07-2005, 09:08 PM
Weren't they in the magazine a few months ago?

OkieDave
03-08-2005, 06:28 AM
I have bought both. Bassets fit. rewarders don't. bassets are heavier and last longer. the chrome stays on longer and doesn't turn color as badly as rewarders. same price. no comparison in quality. rewarders rust thru sooner. not as thick where they meet the flange. bolt holes don't match the heads very well. just my observations over the years.

olbiezer
03-08-2005, 11:23 AM
i have bought both and give me rewarder anytime. rewarders seem to keep there chrome much better for me. the bassets blues in about 10 min the first 6 inches up the tube. just my opinion

superdave013
03-08-2005, 11:33 AM
I also have owned both. The bassetts were used but worked just fine. The rewarders I bought new and was happy with them. I have delt with both Jim and Paul Bassett over the years and I like them both.

HammerDown
03-08-2005, 11:47 AM
My past past 2 sets of Bassetts had poor chrome, I'll be trying Rewarder next.

Jetboatguru
03-08-2005, 11:47 AM
I think the big question here is "WWLND"
What Would Larry Nebb Do?

Squirtin Thunder
03-08-2005, 11:54 AM
I have bought both. Bassets fit. Not on my Boat !!! rewarders do. QUOTE=okiedave]bassets are heavier and last longer. They are heavier !!!! the chrome stays on longer and doesn't turn color as badly as rewarders. I don't know !!!QUOTE=okiedave]same price. But Jim will cut you a Deal and work with you to get what works for you !!! QUOTE=okiedave]no comparison in quality.I am not a metal urgist !!! QUOTE=okiedave]rewarders rust thru sooner. I don't think with proper care that would be an issue !!! I lived in NC were it is alway wet and no rust problems !!! QUOTE=okiedave]not as thick where they meet the flange.Mine were great !!! bolt holes don't match the heads very well.I had no problem yesterday with used ones !!! QUOTE=okiedave]just my observations over the years.
Thank you for your responce !!! The used Basset Jet Boat 460 Headers I got are very tight on my boat one finger from hull. The Rewarders fit easy and had plenty of room till I over heated them. The Bassett short non Bell headers that I got are heaver than the long belled Rewarders that I had on the boat before.
Just was looking for some feed back !!
Thank you
Jim

NELSON#109
03-08-2005, 12:27 PM
ive had good experiences with both. i have used both and they have both been quality pieces. ive never had either fit bad. the last few sets ive bought have been rewarders for several reasons. they are loical for me, jim hooks me up big time, & they'll do back flips to make the customer happy. all the great things people say about rewarder are true. i dont think you can go wrong with either brand, but my experiences w/ rewarder have been flawless.

Sanger D
03-08-2005, 01:31 PM
hey jim,both header makers are quality guys who make quality pipes.they will both stand behind their product.the dicision is what look or FIT you want,as far as chrome,it sucks on both,or should I say ALL pipes. unless their older and in good shape.the chroming world is not as it used to be.run em dry and lean?,chromes GONE .rich and wet,lasts a little longer,but I would cermakrome em!!!!I,ve got a new pair IN THE MAIL from paul and they went to CAPS coating toget cermakromed.BAD ASS stuff!!!paul AND jim are stand up dudes........no worry,s!! :D :D

Shark In The Pond
03-08-2005, 05:32 PM
I own a set of Rewarders BUT I don't think the coating held up too good ,have some rust showing and I keep the boat inside ? Jim is real easy to work with and goes out of his way to make you happy ! Ever go through the pits at the races and notice how many Rewarders you see on the boats ...... most of them use them from what I have seen in the pits .

Squirtin Thunder
03-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Well I talked with Jim and Paul today both nice guys. Jim even stocks old or used headers, that he will sell at about half price.
I found out why the headers are so wide. That was the way they did them in '77. How do I know they are 1977 headers well Paul at Bassett told me that all his headers are stamped with year on the tag. Wow what a way to ID headers.Paul said that the newer style are not as wide.
19 BASSETT 77

Fogged Gullwing
03-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Shark how old are they and are you sure Jim coated them?
When I used to work for billet fabrication I met Jim at bakersfield raceway. We were both running booths for the good guys meet. Totally not boat related at all. Jim just started to do coatings after the guy who was doing it was screwing everyone in site. I have the the bassett's that are on my boat that are coated and they look like crap but no worse than f@#ked up chrome. It was the local guy that did mine and was also doing jim's headers. That is why jim went in house with his coating to control the quality. All ceramic coats do fade according to the conditions. Run um dry and lean and they'll go just like chrome. Mine don't have rust but are very dull. Try any coating on a turbo motor that has gone a little lean. It looks like someone took easy off oven cleaner to a new paint job. If any of you have a bitch with rewarder I suggest that you stop bitching and call them!!! Jim will take care of you! When I was with Jim at bakersfield we started to talk boats, people in the industry and so on. From what I gather from the conversation is that jim and paul bassett are pretty good friends which does'nt suprise me at all. He told me that they often talked between themselves Example water jacketed headers as far as I know Paul wanted nothing to do with them Jim tried it for a while and everyone decided to let lightning do them. Everyone has there own niche jim does'nt make oil pans or air scoops and dooley doens't make headers but bassett does. I guess I am biased a bit since I know jim and brooke but my opinion would be the same If I would have dealt with them as a customer. As far as customer service goes I give Rewarder an A+
MY 12 Cents BK

Squirtin Thunder
03-08-2005, 08:14 PM
http://www.bassettracing.com/images/newpag11.jpg
Bassett Racing's New Water Jacketed Header
Perfect for Stern Drives, V-Drives, and Jets
Bassett Racing's Water Jacketed Header has a new Tri-Y Design to improve on Torque and add 10%-15% more Horsepower. It is constructed of 14 gauge 316 stainless steel with a 3/8" thick flange and a 4" outlet. It is polished to a mirror finish, has a 3 Year Limited Warranty and can be made to fit most applications. Included are Water Harnesses, Fittings, Hose Clamps, Header Bolts, and Gaskets.
$ 2,695.00
All prices are subject to change.

Fogged Gullwing
03-08-2005, 08:18 PM
When I was reffering to was around 1998 And I know jim doens't stock them but he'll make them also.
Get a Job !!!! bullhead Boy!!! :hammer2:
BK

Squirtin Thunder
03-08-2005, 08:25 PM
When I was reffering to was around 1998 And I know jim doens't stock them but he'll make them also.
Get a Job !!!! bullhead Boy!!! :hammer2:
BK
1998 was a long time ago catch up !!!

Shark In The Pond
03-08-2005, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=Fogged Gullwing]Shark how old are they and are you sure Jim coated them?
I'm thinking three yrs ago ,not sure would have to look it up ? It's seems like he was doing it in house at the time but I have slept since then ? :sleeping: From what I have read over the yrs here and there I'm sure he would recoat them for me if I sent them to him .

Sanger D
03-09-2005, 07:29 AM
four words to remember.......CAPS COATING and CERMAKROME!!!!!! ok three words.their coating is WWAAYYYY more durable then the ceramic or jet hot stuff,they use some weird shit in the inside of the header thats protective to 2000 degrees instead of 1300 like the others,and it comes out way more shineyer than the latter.

Squirtin Thunder
03-09-2005, 07:36 AM
four words to remember.......CAPS COATING and CERMAKROME!!!!!! ok three words.their coating is WWAAYYYY more durable then the ceramic or jet hot stuff,they use some weird shit in the inside of the header thats protective to 2000 degrees instead of 1300 like the others,and it comes out way more shineyer than the latter.
Do you have a # for them ??? Will they do chrome headers ???

Sanger D
03-09-2005, 07:56 AM
I,ve came by a couple times but you werent home........its caps brite hot coatings,4460 s. chestnut ave. fresno calif. 93725 # is 559-233-1461 they do chrome but it costs about 40 bucks extra to strip em.its worth it though,you get a little discount if your a classic v drive member.but he,ll check if your on the list!!!he does all of O.C.C ,s bike parts and coddingtons stuff too( I think) real quality stuff!!!!

Squirtin Thunder
03-09-2005, 08:18 AM
I,ve came by a couple times but you werent home........its caps brite hot coatings,4460 s. chestnut ave. fresno calif. 93725 # is 559-233-1461 they do chrome but it costs about 40 bucks extra to strip em.its worth it though,you get a little discount if your a classic v drive member.but he,ll check if your on the list!!!he does all of O.C.C ,s bike parts and coddingtons stuff too( I think) real quality stuff!!!!
I moved to Mohave Eastates
1660 Ash ave
928-704-1158

Sanger D
03-09-2005, 08:21 AM
directions please :D :D

Squirtin Thunder
03-09-2005, 10:30 AM
directions please :D :D
95 south past Bullhead Parkway turn left right after the Urgent Care on North or the next one that has the turn out before Woody's Cheveron Gas station, go all the way down to the end and turn right on ash.