PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer Gun Question

Hallett19
03-07-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm going out on a limb here and assuming there are some gun owners in here. I'm in the market and am considering a Sig P226 9mm. Has anyone shot one of these. I want to make sure its a nice piece before I pull the trigger, no pun intended.

KACHINA KEN
03-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Any Sig Arms or HK is a good buy.

djunkie
03-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Sigs are great guns. What exactly do you think you will use it for? Home protection or just target shooting? The reason I ask is because if it was for home protection I would not get a 9mm. For home protection I would def. step up to a 40 S&W. Way more stopping power and plenty tame for a woman to shoot.

Flyinbowtie
03-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Just my opinion, but Sig-Sauer is one of the finest combat handguns in the world.
The P226 is an outstanding weapon. Unless you have some specific reason that is prompting you to purchase a 9mm, I'd strongly suggest you go for the .40 cal...

BADBLOWN572
03-07-2005, 04:35 PM
I have the 226 and it is a very nice gun. The only downside to it is that it doesn't have sufficient safeties in my opinion. Gun fires nice and never jams. Had Glocks before and didn't like them. If I didn't have the Sig, I would look at HK. I too would recommend going with the .40 or .45 if it is for home protection. However, load up some hollow points in a 9mm and it will definitely do some damage.
If you wanted to fire off a couple of rounds (or hundred), let me know. I would be more than happy to head on out to the range somewhere and let you give it a try.

mirvin
03-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Yeah like many have said above.....the .40 cal is a much better round.
As always, I'd recommend you look at the SMith & Wesson SW99.
mirvin :wink:

Waldo
03-07-2005, 04:43 PM
I have the Sig Pro 40-cal. Nice piece to shoot...
Here she is:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/177SIG_PRO_2340-med.jpg

cola
03-07-2005, 04:56 PM
I also have a 226 Sig. very nice piece. I keep it loaded with silver tip hollow points & the second 15 round magazine with copper jacketed. This also keep my S&W 10mm in another part of the home, loaded the same way. I like the Sig the best. I also have it in the 45. I think the decock that is on the Sig's is a very nice safety. The 10 is more expensive to shoot but carrys a good knock down rate. Buy the Sig or a PPK and it wound fail you when you need it.
Late, Mike

mirvin
03-07-2005, 05:03 PM
I also have a 226 Sig. very nice piece. I keep it loaded with silver tip hollow points & the second 15 round magazine with copper jacketed. This also keep my S&W 10mm in another part of the home, loaded the same way. I like the Sig the best. I also have it in the 45. I think the decock that is on the Sig's is a very nice safety. The 10 is more expensive to shoot but carrys a good knock down rate. Buy the Sig or a PPK and it wound fail you when you need it.
Late, Mike
Hey cola how do you like your 10?? I've had the 1066 (full size) for about 10 years now. Haven't really taken it out since I got the SW99. The 10 does pack a wallup though;)
I found myself being a bit nervous about the 10.....you know with the decock and the safety and the double action and all....the SW99 is just point and click.
mirvin :D

slink
03-07-2005, 05:03 PM
P220 for me boys. Had it since day one in the academy and not one problem with it. Only draw back is no large capacity magazine, which means you gotta make the first round count :D Been through several combat shooting schools (rolling around in dirt/dust all day) and have never had a jam or misfire. Highly recommend it. Also like the the HK 40 too.

Phat Matt
03-07-2005, 05:04 PM
I've got this one...
http://www.sigarms.com/apps/cmt/img/sp2009-large.jpg

77charger
03-07-2005, 05:09 PM
good gun IMO but i still prefer my colt 1911 in .45acp.Hks are nice too as for glocks i dont like the triggers they are good guns for those who get use to them

Kilrtoy
03-07-2005, 05:11 PM
You already have an issued .40 cal , Why do you want a 9......

Boozer
03-07-2005, 05:23 PM
I know a lot of people on here are opposed to the 9mm but I have to disagree with them.
If you own a .40 or .45 ammo is expensive if you like to shoot alot. My last gun was a 9mm and my brother and I managed to put about 500-1000 rounds through it weekly. If you shop around you can find some REALLY smokin deals on 9mm ammo. I went to a gun store down the street from my house and bought 2000 round boxes of ammo for $50 I believe. Cabellos usually has really good deals on ammunition as well. You might even want to check out WalMart. I found Hydrashock ammo on sale at WalMart one time and managed to pick up 15 boxes for $2.99 each Regular price is $20!!
Figure on spending about 50-75 cents every time you pull the trigger on a .40 or .45. Opposed to 2-3 cents a go with a 9mm.
You may want to consider going to a shooting range and firing off several guns until you find the one thats most comfortable for you. For me 9mm is the only way to go for plinker shooting and loaded with a clip full of hydrashocks that gun has more stopping power then most people would like to give it credit for.
Also check out this website GunBroker.com
I don't know how California laws are about what type of ammo is and isnt permitted here but you can buy tracer rounds, exploding tip rounds all sorts of crazy stuff. Just make sure whatever you buy is legal here before you buy it.

cola
03-07-2005, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=mirvin]Hey cola how do you like your 10?? I've had the 1066 (full size) for about 10 years now. Haven't really taken it out since I got the SW99. The 10 does pack a wallup though;)
I found myself being a bit nervous about the 10.....you know with the decock and the safety and the double action and all....the SW99 is just point and click.
mirvin :D[/QUOTE
Yes, it's a little different. It's a 1006 nickel. Thats why I like the Sig's, the 220 & 226 are the same. I have had trouble with the 226 jamming when my son was very young & could not hold it tight enough. When he would get tired it would roll & pull in this hand & jam on the reload. Only happend a couple times after he had been through a 100 rounds or so. That was also shooting range reloads, not the cleanest ammo. We have run 1000's of rounds since he has grown up without a glitch.
Late, Mike

cola
03-07-2005, 05:51 PM
I know a lot of people on here are opposed to the 9mm but I have to disagree with them.
If you own a .40 or .45 ammo is expensive if you like to shoot alot. My last gun was a 9mm and my brother and I managed to put about 500-1000 rounds through it weekly. If you shop around you can find some REALLY smokin deals on 9mm ammo. I went to a gun store down the street from my house and bought 2000 round boxes of ammo for $50 I believe. Cabellos usually has really good deals on ammunition as well. You might even want to check out WalMart. I found Hydrashock ammo on sale at WalMart one time and managed to pick up 15 boxes for $2.99 each Regular price is $20!!
Figure on spending about 50-75 cents every time you pull the trigger on a .40 or .45. Opposed to 2-3 cents a go with a 9mm.
You may want to consider going to a shooting range and firing off several guns until you find the one thats most comfortable for you. For me 9mm is the only way to go for plinker shooting and loaded with a clip full of hydrashocks that gun has more stopping power then most people would like to give it credit for.
Also check out this website GunBroker.com
I don't know how California laws are about what type of ammo is and isnt permitted here but you can buy tracer rounds, exploding tip rounds all sorts of crazy stuff. Just make sure whatever you buy is legal here before you buy it.
Try plinking with a 10mm. $$$$

Havasu Cig
03-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Look at statistics of Officer involved shootings with the 9mm. It has a terrible track record as far as stopping power. I would go .40 or.45 as others have suggested. I prefer Glock (only one external safety and same trigger pull everytime) but Sig makes a good gun as well. The only downside of the 226 IMO is the large grip because of the double stack mag.

Coleitis22
03-07-2005, 05:56 PM
You can't go wrong with a Sig. The 40 and 45 are hard hitting and smooth. Get what fits your hand and feels right. I'm not impressed with any 9mm. Remember, there is no substitute for horsepower The Glock and H&K are nice handguns also. :cool: Remember one thing. If you have to use it for self protection be cautious of what type of bullet and load your using. If it's a hot load with a hydrashock a judge is going to make certain you have a really bad day.

Domn8er
03-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Are you definitely going with Sig? If not, another good option would be Springfield Armory. Won hand gun of the year three years in a row. Very similar to a Glock but it has an additional safety feature. I had the .40 cal and just picked up my 9mm today. Boozer is right about cost on the .40 cal. Check this out...
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/xd-pistol/XD9301Large.jpg

Hallett19
03-07-2005, 06:51 PM
I had a .40 Glock 22C and really liked shooting it but never was a fan of the trigger saftey and the longer trigger pull, but the weight and feel was amazing.
The reason I'm swayed towards the 9mm is because the gun is only available in a 9mm. Its the Sig p226-9 Navy. Special Warfare issue handgun, trust me, if it was available in .40 it would be a no brainer. The .45 holds less rounds in the clip I believe, 8 as opposed to 10 and 12 as oppsed to 15 for the law enforcment clips. The one I am eyeing is a limited production handgun and has some extra bells and whistles compared to the stock 226, that and I have an opportunity to get a brand new one for $150 under cost.
Does the stopping power really make that big of a difference ? I am curious to see a matchup between a 9mm and a .40 cal. Anyone have any stats on it ?

Phat Matt
03-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Does the stopping power really make that big of a difference ? I am curious to see a matchup between a 9mm and a .40 cal. Anyone have any stats on it ?
Personally, I wouldn't want to get hit with either! Shoot them in the head with the 9mm and tell me it doesn't stop them.

THATJEFFGUY
03-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Go with the .40 caliber When that $hitbag comes into YOUR home, you wanna stop him in his tracks...do him in right the first time !

IN2MX
03-07-2005, 07:20 PM
9mm is a a round designed to kill (WIth the correct load)
40-45 cal round is a round designed to stop.
I have owned both the 9 and the 45 and there are pro's and con's too both.
Sig Sauer is a very fine weapon. Beautifully made, top quality. NOT the safest weapon though.
I have owned Beretta, HK, and Smith and Wesson. I prefer Beretta. Boring, heavy, but RELIABLE.

dean51267
03-07-2005, 07:26 PM
In 1990 I was living in San Diego, El Cajon (sp. I know, my spelling sucks) just moved into an apartment and moved off base, I was in nether Navy going to an advanced Submarine Submarine school.
Guy walks up the steps, I am living in a 4 plex, Jerry and I have just finished a very difficult section of our school, we are enjoying a beer (our first) we live upstairs, two below us; we are nearest the steps coming up the walk.
Jerry is telling how to navigate by the stars, I am an old redneck, I navigate by the moss on the trees, he is telling me all this astrology schite, I am enjoying my beer and listening to him talk....
Guy walks up, says he needs some stuff, I summarize quickly and figure I need to end this quickly without incident, I tell the guy he made a mistake and we have nothing but 2 more beers (light beer mind you) and stale pizza (Jerry and I are waiting for our girl friends and pizza), and that he should look elsewhere for "stuff".
He gets kind of pissy, says he needs it NOW, has a switch blade to "trade" as he flips it open and starts swinging it around. I tell the guy we have had enough and he should bale, I think the guy at the 7-11 two blocks over has some stuff (I am making up stuff to buy time, thinking I can call cops once he clears out). Guy gets real, real pissy, mouths, mf this, mf that, gonna cut your fking throat, so I start to turn away and then swing around HARD, back hand him with all my strength and weight, and I am a big boy, 240, bench press 330#.
So the boy flips backward off the balcony, and kind of wanders off. I call 911, tell them the deal, the blond female cop thinks I am a yahoo for standing up for myself, I explain I ask him to leave....
Cops leave, girls, pizza, and beer arrive, we get down to business. 30 minutes after cops leave guy shows up tapping on screen door with pearl handle .45, scramming how he is gonna kill someone....
I try and buy a couple minutes, not much avail, I have a denim jacket on, no shirt, shorts, 9mm Browning Hi Power I was VERY good with in the recliner with me....
I get up, slide browning into back of my shorts as Jerry is screaming like a fking 3 year kid in need of a lollipop, I walk to the door and tell the guy lets go outside so these people that know nothing are not part of our problem, he walks outside, down the stairs, I tell Jennifer (my girlfriend) to get cops on the phone...
Walk down the stairs, I am shitting my pants, scared, scared bad, trying to clam the guy down, he is getting more and more irate, he is swinging that colt around like a toy, I am freaking out, he lowers towards me, gets silent for one second starts to stare at me........................
I drop to one knee and pump four rounds in to his chest.........
He did not stop moving till the fourth..............
Last year I stopped a 300# hog running at full speed at 30 yards straight towards my hunting buddy with one shot from a colt .45............
Buy a colt, and pray to God you never find out why.
so I bring the 9mm around sharply and explain I he is gonna leave, in a body bag, on on his own, he is gonna leave.........

dean51267
03-07-2005, 07:29 PM
In 1990 I was living in San Diego, El Cajon (sp. I know, my spelling sucks) just moved into an apartment and moved off base, I was in nether Navy going to an advanced Submarine Submarine school.
Guy walks up the steps, I am living in a 4 plex, Jerry and I have just finished a very difficult section of our school, we are enjoying a beer (our first) we live upstairs, two below us; we are nearest the steps coming up the walk.
Jerry is telling how to navigate by the stars, I am an old redneck, I navigate by the moss on the trees, he is telling me all this astrology schite, I am enjoying my beer and listening to him talk....
Guy walks up, says he needs some stuff, I summarize quickly and figure I need to end this quickly without incident, I tell the guy he made a mistake and we have nothing but 2 more beers (light beer mind you) and stale pizza (Jerry and I are waiting for our girl friends and pizza), and that he should look elsewhere for "stuff".
He gets kind of pissy, says he needs it NOW, has a switch blade to "trade" as he flips it open and starts swinging it around. I tell the guy we have had enough and he should bale, I think the guy at the 7-11 two blocks over has some stuff (I am making up stuff to buy time, thinking I can call cops once he clears out). Guy gets real, real pissy, mouths, mf this, mf that, gonna cut your fking throat, so I start to turn away and then swing around HARD, back hand him with all my strength and weight, and I am a big boy, 240, bench press 330#.
So the boy flips backward off the balcony, and kind of wanders off. I call 911, tell them the deal, the blond female cop thinks I am a yahoo for standing up for myself, I explain I ask him to leave....
Cops leave, girls, pizza, and beer arrive, we get down to business. 30 minutes after cops leave guy shows up tapping on screen door with pearl handle .45, scramming how he is gonna kill someone....
I try and buy a couple minutes, not much avail, I have a denim jacket on, no shirt, shorts, 9mm Browning Hi Power I was VERY good with in the recliner with me....
I get up, slide browning into back of my shorts as Jerry is screaming like a fking 3 year kid in need of a lollipop, I walk to the door and tell the guy lets go outside so these people that know nothing are not part of our problem, he walks outside, down the stairs, I tell Jennifer (my girlfriend) to get cops on the phone...
Walk down the stairs, I am shitting my pants, scared, scared bad, trying to clam the guy down, he is getting more and more irate, he is swinging that colt around like a toy, I am freaking out, he lowers towards me, gets silent for one second starts to stare at me........................
Last year I stopped a 300# hog running at full speed at 30 yards straight towards my hunting buddy with one shot from a colt .45............

monkey rage frank
03-07-2005, 07:56 PM
The Man you need to hit up is Nova Guy he's on the boards he is also known as Sigly Wigly,Temple City Sig, or just SIG need I say more :crossx: Frank

Bob Hostetter
03-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Actually the 9mm can be very effective if you use the proper ammo in it. Currently Winchester SXT 127gr +P+ is about the best. The 40 is also very effective............
As far as which one is best, thats kinda of a personal thing. There are several good one's available, the best idea being able to try different ones before you buy. Probably the best deal out there right now is the Springfield XD.

dean51267
03-07-2005, 08:04 PM
bigger is ALWAYS better.....................

77charger
03-07-2005, 08:20 PM
i spend alot less for .45 cost me about 100 bucks per 1000 for .45 i use to shoot alot not as much anymore I bought a reloader for .45(dillion press)and it has paid off years ago.i think it cost me about 50-75 cents to load 300win mag.with nosler bullets.I reload for every gun i shoot its the only way to get perfection if you are serious about shooting.I can tell you about the very hot loads for my .45 with nice 230 grain sxts i use a trimmed .308 case.

minnesota_duane
03-07-2005, 09:04 PM
If it's for in the home use you cant beat an 870 12 Ga. load it with .00 and 7 shot every other shell. Nobody's going to hide behind a wall and be safe from the 00. And no Doctor is going to close up all the holes from the 7 shot. And chances are if they are in the house and they hear you rack the action on the 870 there going to head for the nearest exit or make a new one. Just my .02

Bense468
03-07-2005, 09:22 PM
I am way pro sig. I love my 226 .40. This pic was taken when I first bought it. It came with night sites and the tatical rail. It now has m6 tatical laser site and led spot.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/731sigp226_1.jpg
I try to shoot once a week. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I would not buy a 9mm. I don't like the sig pro's because they are polymere and I don't like plastic. Plus stainless is heavier for better shooting.
A caspian setup colt 1911 is next on my list when I get the spending cash.
Oh yeah and boozer... your a little off on your prices pal. I can buy a box of .40 for 13.99 at the range. I can buy them online for 85-90 dollars per case (1000)

Just Tool'n
03-07-2005, 09:37 PM
My oldest son is 7 years old now, my brother who is a gun nut got him interested in guns a couple of years ago.
This is all he is allways talking about. So one weekend my mother in law takes my 2 boys to give me & the wife some quality time together.
So she is coming back to town on Sunday, on the way home there is a shooting range just 10 minutes from the house, so stops buy with the kids to show them what a shooting range is all about.
She says the guys there are nice to the boys & starts showing them diffrent guns & the likes, when my oldest ask's the guy behind the counter if he has a Sig Sauer P226!
My mother in law said the guy's jaw hit the floor, that such a young boy would know of such a fine gun!
To which my son replies, My uncle Roger taught me!
Hope it puts a smile on your faces! :D

Bense468
03-07-2005, 09:42 PM
so I bring the 9mm around sharply and explain I he is gonna leave, in a body bag, on on his own, he is gonna leave.........
Dean Thanks for sharing your story....
This is so true, and why I will only shoot high caliber guns. People who need 9mm's are people who don't practice with .45's. You are not going to hit shit if you shoot your .45 once a year. Practice, learn, know, respect, and practice more will get you where you want to be. I shoot 9's and 10's on the target at 25 yards with a .45. I know guys that can put in 2 inch groupings. They also shoot 3 to 5 thousand rounds a month. To rich for my blood.
DO NOT purchase the 9mm. I won't even buy one just to have fun with. No point in switching from what I have and use. If you are out for home protection a 12 guage is the only way to go.
Also remember if your guns misfeeds or jams...Its junk, might as well sell it to someone else. Pay now or pay later is what it all comes down to.

Hallett19
03-08-2005, 12:07 PM
I never thought a 9mm and .40 would have such different characteristics in stopping power. Personally, I dont want to be shot with either like phat matt said. Well, I might have changed my mind on the 9mm, I just like the p226-9 Navy because of the rarity and if I buy it they donate money to navy special warfare ops, kind of cool.
I've shot most of them all, 9mm, .40, .45, .50, I have alot to decide now.... Thanks for all the input though, I appreciate it.

Slick
03-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Aaron,
If this is only for home defense, go with a short barrelled 12ga for sure. And leave the pistol grip at the gun shop.
For me, the only gun I would stray from a 1911 style 45 is the Sig 40 or 45 or a Ruger SP101 stub nosed 357Mag.
There are alot of nice 1911 clones out there that are built right out of the box. Long gone are the days when you picked up a 1911 or 1995 and rushed straight to your gunsmith. I'm a big fan of Kimber. They put out some really nice pistols.

Liberator TJ1984
03-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Look at statistics of Officer involved shootings with the 9mm. It has a terrible track record as far as stopping power. I would go .40 or.45 as others have suggested. I prefer Glock (only one external safety and same trigger pull everytime) but Sig makes a good gun as well. The only downside of the 226 IMO is the large grip because of the double stack mag.
From a personal viewpoint ,I have been on the recieving end of a bullet, 32cal.at point blank , it hit me in the lower abdomen and exited out 1/2" to the right side of my tailbone. for the first few minutes all this did was PISS ME THE FU*K OFF , and I could have easily retaliated and turned things around and used the same gun on the shooter if I would have desired too......By all means If this gun is for self defense opt for the 40 or 45 cal.

MikeF
03-08-2005, 01:15 PM
I remember shooting a Delta Elite. Anyone else out there produce a 10mm pistol (other than a custom)?

Bense468
03-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Slick- I agree on you except for one thing. I dis-like kimbers. They run cheap metal...I have seen a kimber cut, then a colt cut. After seeing one then the other, I would not own a kimber. Need a carbide bit for the Colt.
I also heard from a reliable source that Wilson Combat is basically a kimber as well. Not a copy of a colt anymore.
When I have 3-4 grand sitting around I am going with a caspian setup colt. I know a guy with 40 colt's in a big safe. whenever he see's good ones he buys them. He won't just sell to anyone, but he will build my gun when I am ready.

Hallett19
03-08-2005, 10:25 PM
From a personal viewpoint ,I have been on the recieving end of a bullet, 32cal.at point blank , it hit me in the lower abdomen and exited out 1/2" to the right side of my tailbone. for the first few minutes all this did was PISS ME THE FU*K OFF , and I could have easily retaliated and turned things around and used the same gun on the shooter if I would have desired too......By all means If this gun is for self defense opt for the 40 or 45 cal.
Dude, no kidding ???? OUCH !!! Did you break into someones house or something ? I dont want a shotgun really, I dont have that kind of lute to be throwing around for a shotty and a hand cannon... :cool: Although I like the HK Shotgun that froggy has, its MONEY !!!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
03-08-2005, 11:29 PM
I'm going out on a limb here and assuming there are some gun owners in here. I'm in the market and am considering a Sig P226 9mm. Has anyone shot one of these. I want to make sure its a nice piece before I pull the trigger, no pun intended.
I have a P226 9MM.....
Great gun...... Fun to shoot.......
I have a big hand, so the wider grip (15 round clip) works well.......
But I really would love to have a .40 Cal......
CJG