PDA

View Full Version : I need 4x4 advice.

moneypit
03-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Today I was going to sell my 1998 Dodge 4x4 and the buyer put it in 4 wheel drive and it made a popping noise while he drove it. I have only had it in 4 wheel drive maybe twice. Whats up? Is it because its on the pavement? I have large wheels also...Im bummed because I dont have an answer.. I thought its because of the large wheel on the pavement.
Its not the tires rubbing either. The buyer took it to the dealership to have it inspected. They told him that they would not put it in 4 wheel drive to test it. They said because if something broke its their ass.
Help.. what do you think... Is it normal?

repo man
03-07-2005, 09:07 PM
i'll give you $500 for it right now :p

pixilatedpussy
03-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Today I was going to sell my 1998 Dodge 4x4 and the buyer put it in 4 wheel drive and it made a popping noise while he drove it. I have only had it in 4 wheel drive maybe twice. Whats up? Is it because its on the pavement? I have large wheels also...Im bummed because I dont have an answer.. I thought its because of the large wheel on the pavement.
Its not the tires rubbing either. The buyer took it to the dealership to have it inspected. They told him that they would not put it in 4 wheel drive to test it. They said because if something broke its their ass.
Help.. what do you think... Is it normal?
Husband says it sounds like a ring and pinion??? :frown:

Jetdriver
03-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Typically, if you try and drive a truck in 4 wheel drive on the pavement you will get binding. Dont let the guy do that agian to your vehicle. If he wants to test the 4 wheel drive take him out on a dirt road.

pixilatedpussy
03-07-2005, 09:15 PM
It will still work, it will bind but it won't pop!!! Something broke, sorry man!! :confused:

JetBoatRich
03-07-2005, 09:18 PM
was it "POPPING" only when you turned or constant :idea: it was 4WD high :confused: I assume :jawdrop:

moneypit
03-07-2005, 09:21 PM
only with the turn...then it went away

pixilatedpussy
03-07-2005, 09:22 PM
:p Do you still have 4 wheel drive???? :rollside:

moneypit
03-07-2005, 09:23 PM
yeah.. 4 wheel drive works fine.. it just pops (not heavy) and binds. Then when I straighten the wheel it slowly goes away.

CornWater
03-07-2005, 09:27 PM
If it is just in turns on the pavement it is fine... it is because there is too much traction.. the inside wheels are traveling as fast as the outside wheels and creats a "bucking" motion, which is perfectly normal.. not good for it, but normal.

BOBALOO
03-07-2005, 09:27 PM
DONT! I repeat DONT! turn on dry pavement in 4wd you WILL break parts. The driveline will bind while turning and either the tires have to slip or something has to break.

moneypit
03-07-2005, 09:33 PM
I am learning this... I just hope that something didnt get jacked up already. Im going to take it in the dirt tomm to see if it does the same thing.
DONT! I repeat DONT! turn on dry pavement in 4wd you WILL break parts. The driveline will bind while turning and either the tires have to slip or something has to break.

pixilatedpussy
03-07-2005, 09:35 PM
SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A FORD!!!!!" FIRST ON RACE DAY!!!!!!" :hammer2:

Dr. Eagle
03-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Thank you... these vehicles come with this thing called the "owners manual" and it will tell you things like that. When you do what was done there, sometimes you end up with a bunch of broken metal.

moneypit
03-07-2005, 09:39 PM
You know what.. I have never, NEVER had a problem with this truck. I have changed the battery, brakes, oil. I have passed so many broken down tow vehicles. Its outlasted two boats and a camper. I would buy another dodge. I would also buy a ford. There are lemons with all of them.

pixilatedpussy
03-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Hey by the way Nice boat!!

moneypit
03-07-2005, 09:44 PM

Dawn Patrol
03-07-2005, 10:20 PM
SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A FORD!!!!!" FIRST ON RACE DAY!!!!!!" :hammer2:
I always thought it was
Forth
on
Race
Day
:confused:

TheEduKATor
03-07-2005, 11:44 PM
moneypit,
I have an 04 F-150 4x4 that some how engage itself into 4x4 low last week while I was backing out of my parking stall at work. It's an electronic shift and I don't know what happened but it wouldn't dis-engaged. While it was in 4x4 low it came to a grinding stop and made a poping noise when I first took off. I thought for sure there was some damage because of the god awful noise that was coming from the transfer case, so I had it towed to the dealer. They reprogramed the 4x4 on it and it is fine now. They don't know why it engaged either, but it's works now. I don't know if yours is electronic or shift, but i hope nothing major is wrong.

dean51267
03-08-2005, 05:19 AM
I might be able to get you $50 bucks for it, but you gotta deliver to Western Kentucky............
I hope it does not infect anyoen before you get it here, best hurry up......
;)

Squirtin Thunder
03-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Don't run it in 4wd on pavement it will break things !!!!

Sanger D
03-08-2005, 08:58 AM
if it only does it when you turn then its ok.as long as it still works,if the tires are bigger than stock it will do it even worse .no problem ,just don,t do it again ,still its OK!!!

Havasu_Dreamin
03-08-2005, 09:02 AM
Ok, if it is so bad to drive a 4X4 in 4WD on pavement, I would think it would be abd to drive a Yukon Denali on pavement as well sicne it is AWD, right? Or is AWD different than 4WD?

Racer277
03-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Ok, if it is so bad to drive a 4X4 in 4WD on pavement, I would think it would be abd to drive a Yukon Denali on pavement as well sicne it is AWD, right? Or is AWD different than 4WD?
All wheel drive with open/viscous differentials ok, no biggie, their made for pavement.
Don't let all this talk scare you. The binding will happen, and seem terrible, but it doesn't mean it's broken yet.
I've driven home 45 miles on pavement, not realizing i'm in 4w, and wondering why it just didn't feel right. Locking diff on the rear. Stopped, put it in 2w, no biggie. :hammer2:
I've also tried a u-turn in 4w on pavement, :jawdrop: Thought the truck was gonna come apart, binding and wouldn't turn. Put it in 2W, no problem.
Still got 300K out of that truck, tranny, and tcase.
As was said, take it to a dirt lot, put it in 4w, to show the guy it works.

Sherpa
03-08-2005, 09:26 AM
it's "popping" because the rear axle is trying to "push" the front axle........
no it's not good to try 4x4 on pavement, but unless dorkwad did burnouts
with it, it'll be fine................
--Sherpa

Red Eye
03-08-2005, 09:57 AM
only with the turn...then it went away
Popping??? I'm not sure about that, but turning on pavement in 4WD can tear up the front end when driving too fast...especially if you have off-road tires.