PDA

View Full Version : mail order parts

Bubbledeck
07-21-2001, 11:38 AM
I just got off the phone from ordering some parts for my boat from a major boat parts place. I thought the sales guy was great, the advice good, and the price was right. We don't have any places here local that stock much of anything or I'd support the locals.
I was just wondering what everyone elses experience with mail order has been.

Racing Ray
07-21-2001, 12:44 PM
I have had good luck with Jeg's and bad with Summit. I have heard Summit has improved but don't care to try it again. Lopers our local speed shop was quoted 4 weeks delivery on some new marine heads I just ordered, Jegs had them in stock so I had them ship them. For the most part we can get just about anything here in the Phoenix area so I to try to support local business when I can.

kingb36
07-21-2001, 09:03 PM
Ray, Is that Johnny Loper that used to drive funnys in NHRA? Just curious.
bill

froggystyle
07-21-2001, 10:10 PM
Since Summit got the Nevada distribution warehouse, I have had nothing but love from them. I tried Jeg's once, they were fine, but have not had a problem with Summit.

Racing Ray
07-22-2001, 02:16 AM
kingb
Yes it is the same John. Him and his sons James and Johnny run 3 shops here in Az. Froggy glad to hear again Summit has improved. They invest a lot of money sponsoring sportsman racing maybe I will try them again.

Havasu Hangin'
07-22-2001, 06:42 AM
Summit has been good to me, too. Can't beat the good prices, no tax, $6.95 handling, no shipping charges, and shows up in two days from Nevada. Never had a problem with returns or customer service, as well.
The marine stuff normally isn't listed, so I usually get the part number from the manufacturer.

Bubbledeck
07-22-2001, 06:57 AM
the place I ordered from was CP Performance .. I needed steering and reverse cables for a possible OP6C adventure heheh ..
I had heard some things about them, but was very pleased with my experience. The parts should be here Tues-Weds. They had a good price on the Place diverter that I want soooooooo bad lol

skijake
07-22-2001, 07:45 AM
I've had good luck with with mail order.
Just ordered a few gauges from CP Performance. If I make an expensive order from someone in Calif. I have them ship it to Az, where we keep our RV, saves the sales tax that way also another reason to go to the river to get the parts.

Bubbledeck
07-25-2001, 06:44 PM
My parts were promised to be delivered to me on Tuesday or Wednesday ... this is Wednesday and I have no parts :-(

Cas42
07-25-2001, 10:56 PM
I was in CP today, if I had known, I would've asked about your order. I live about 20 miles or so from where they are located.

Kleckner
07-26-2001, 04:17 AM
I've placed many orders with Summit, a few with Jeg's, and lately (cause I'm going through my boat and jet drive), a bunch with CP.
Summit: Great prices, usually in stock, very quick to ship out the door. I get my stuff in one day, because I am so close to the Akron warehouse. Make sure you know exactly what you are ordering though, as their tech help is a little hard to get hold of sometimes. I only had one problem EVER in years of ordering. It wasn't even their fault; a supplier kept pushing a back-order date.
Jegs: Evil enemy of Summit, but just as good.
CP Performance: These guys are great! I have placed several large (for me) orders recently, and they have been extremely good. Their people are knowledgeable about the products they sell. There was an error in my order, and they were super-fast to fix it. I haven't found anywhere else that carries the selection of stuff that they do.

johnnie jetboat
07-26-2001, 06:04 AM
I've had nothing but luck with Summit. Fast delivery. Good return policy.
Jeg's gave me some crap once over billing me regular price on a sale item. But they made it good after a phone call.
Performance Automotive Warehouse(PAW) is also a good source. If you compare prices with the three, you might save a buck here and there.
[This message has been edited by johnnie jetboat (edited July 26, 2001).]

Leon
07-26-2001, 08:01 AM
Summit and Jegs, both good in my experience. PAW doesn't support the industry that I am aware of with any sposnorship. I like to support companies that put money back into the same people they take it from. As for marine stuff glenwood and Unlimited marine have been good to me.

RR1/ 001
07-26-2001, 03:13 PM
Hey leon waz up. Did I tell you that I sale Whole Sale HP parts? Well I do and you can get a better deal from me than you can get from summit look at this
Crane roller lifters
My price $189.95 BBC
summit $269.95 BBC
Comp roller lifters
my price $253.95 BBC
summit $259.50 BBC
BBC JE Pistons
My price from $515.95
Summit price from $549.00
I can meet or beat there price on most any part.The best part is I use what I sale.We are going to put up a web page soon but if you need something just give us an E. Mail racing@msinter.net

Bubbledeck
07-26-2001, 05:30 PM
Thursday and STILL no parts ..
pity the poor fool that answers my phone call in the morning LOL

Bubbledeck
07-26-2001, 05:45 PM
UPS just made a delivery .. I am a happy boater once again.

Cas42
07-26-2001, 06:08 PM
hey Bubble, see you at Tower Park http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif

Leon
07-26-2001, 10:10 PM
Thank you 001 I will sure keep that in mind as I will probably build a motor for the new hull I want to buy. This old motor I got now is tired, the pump is tired, and the boat is heavy.

Bubbledeck2
07-27-2001, 02:19 PM
I unpacked the parts I got from CP Performance, looked the Morse rack and cable over real good and came to this conclusion .. it is not a "bolt on" change from my old Mercury rack and helm. I could make it work if I wanted to make an adapter plate for the Morse helm and drill some new holes in my dash. On top of that I'd have to spring for a new steering wheel adapter ($26 in the CP catalogue). The strangest part is when I called CP back to order the RideGuide style cable and just keep all my other stuff as stock they told me the cable cost $170 and they would have to order it (from Mercury).
I checked Mercury's website and the same cable sells for $129. CP would not price match Mercury. So I ordered the cable from Mercury and will spend the $40 I saved on beer heheh