PDA

View Full Version : HP 500 oil cooler and impeller, high oil temps

No Doubt
03-08-2005, 09:11 AM
I just wanted to try to help anyone out that has seen high oil temps or oil temps on the rise. I just got done installing a sea strainer from Teague marine and also got some advise from them. On the HP 500 & HP 575 every year or so you should remove the end caps on your oil cooler especially on the input side and clean the screen on the cooler. If you see any pieces of rubber there than your impeller needs to be replaced. You will probably find small pieces of wood, etc, that are blocking your water flow through your oil cooler unless your running a sea strainer. You'll need to back flush your water lines to get it all out. This is more of a common problem than people think, I just wanted to try I write something on this to help everyone.

Just Tool'n
03-09-2005, 05:55 AM
Yep have had this very same problem in the past on my old boat.
Would change the impellar in the sea water pump, but boat still seem to run hot!
Then i got to thinking, where does the rubber of the chewed up impellar go to, well on a stock mercruiser it goes right to the oil cooler.
Took off the line to the inlet, there was 2-3 impellars worth of broken up impellar vanes.
cleaned it all out, & no more over heating problems.

No Doubt
03-13-2005, 02:14 PM
You would think that Mercury would have something in there manuals about this issue, but even in the main engine service manual there is nothing stated about this. I wonder how many people have junked their motor over this issue :confused: From now on every impeller rebuild, I'm going to back washer my oil cooler and fuel cooler to make sure I get it all out all the old impeller and small stuff that gets through. :idea: Also Teague marine is now selling those small oil cooler gaskets that are reusable, they just came out with them.

No Doubt
03-17-2005, 08:55 AM
I agree with you. Change it out once a year is cheap insurance. I think the smartest thing I did this time around was adding the sea strainer, I found quite a few small piece of wood in front of my oil cooler. That had to be hard on the impeller.