PDA

View Full Version : Help with lifting boat off trailer, any ideas??

Da-Bull
03-08-2005, 01:10 PM
:idea: I have a Brendella runner-bottom that I need to take off the trailer to have some fab work done on the trailer. The boat still has the engine in it, am I going to have to pull the motor to lighten it up? I don't have anywhere to float it, the repairs to the trailer are going to take about 3 weeks. Any ideas? I would like to be able to lift it and drive the trailer out from underneath it. I am fairly new to the flat-bottom scene and any advise would be greatly appreciated. :D

Terminal Velocity
03-08-2005, 02:18 PM
will it fit in your garage straight in? If so, you could try and slide it back off the trailer a few feet enough to get a jack and 4x4 under the transom to lift the tail off the trailer then put stands on both sides with 4x4's to support it. then move the jack under the trailer somwhere to jack up the nose enough to roll the trailer forward until you hit a crossmember, set another jackstand and move the jack, then repeat until the trailer is out. Reverse process to reinstall.
Kind of a pain and make sure you have some help but it can be done. When you do the nose piece you would want to "v" the 4x4 to support the keel on both sides and to help keep the boat level.
It's a thought.
Take care and good luck.

Morg
03-08-2005, 02:48 PM
The first time I needed to get the boat off the trailer. I built a dolly out of wood. Built the bunks the same height as the trailer & slid it off. I would recomend pulling the moter if possible. makes the whole deal a bunch easier.
2ea. 10' 4x4's
2ea. 12' 2x6's
1ea. 1/2" sheet plywood.
4ea. casters.
Bunch o screws.
I built a steel dolly for the current boat. Same deal just slide off & on. I can not tell you how much nicer it is to work on a flatt bottom without the fenders in the way.
I have heard the method T.V. sugested works well. I was just to ascared.

Terminal Velocity
03-08-2005, 03:09 PM
believe me morg i was askeeeerrrrrd to. But if you don't get too excited it can be done. I have a steel dolly like yours but it was 500 miles away so time wise it was about sixes to do it with a jack. :p
DA-Bull if you have time and the tools the dolly would be the best way. And if you have an engine hoist you could always use it too take most of the weight off the transom to slide it back onto the dolly.
Either way should git'r done.
James

Da-Bull
03-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Thanks Morg, T.V.
Both ideas sound good. I have a couple of questions about building the dolly, would I use the 2x6's to frame the box and the 4x4's for the bunks or the opposite? Sorry for all the questions, but like I said, I'm a newbe to the boat scene. The jacks sound good and would probably work but I too am very askeeeerrrrrd :2purples: Would anyone be able to post a picture of a dolly? Thanks for the help :D :D
Jeff

DansBlown73Nordic
03-08-2005, 04:59 PM
I have found a very easy way to remove a flatty from the trailer. I put a 4x4 in the back just ahead of the plate. I set a set of 20'' Dia. logs standing on end under the 4x4s. I then hook my engine lift to the bow eye. As you lift the front of the boat the weight transfers to the blocks in the back. With a little wiggleing you can walk the trailer out from under the boat.
I like the big logs instead of a jack stand because if the bigger base. It won't tip over so easy...

Terminal Velocity
03-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Morg,
Throw down some dimensions and i'll cad design an Isometric drawing of it, PDF the thing and send it to DA-Bull and yourself and then we'll have an actual drawing in case someone else wants to build one.
I know the basic but the length's and width's apart escape my mind and again my dolly is 500 miles away.
Da-Bull take a tape measure and go under the boat and measure to the outside of the inner strakes of your boat (if it has strakes, my b-boat does)...better yet get me a distance from center to center of your existing bunks on your trailer and what the measurement is from the floor to the top of the bunks (bottom of boat) with the trailer sitting level or hitched to your vehicle so it will be the right height.
I should be able to have it done with these measurements early tomorrow morning.
James

Da-Bull
03-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Thanks, James
When I get off work I will take some measurments and post them tomorrow. Really appreciate the help! :D :D

GofastRacer
03-08-2005, 05:52 PM
This is what I made for my Rayson, cost less than $30 and took about two hours to make!.. ;)
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/21Finished.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/21Front2.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/21Done2.jpg

Terminal Velocity
03-08-2005, 06:02 PM
That's a nice piece GoFast. Do you have anything hanging from underneath? I've got a drawing essentially done trying to convert it from PDF to post. Or i can email it to someone who is more in tune than i with PDF conversions... :(

GofastRacer
03-08-2005, 06:08 PM
That's a nice piece GoFast. Do you have anything hanging from underneath? I've got a drawing essentially done trying to convert it from PDF to post. Or i can email it to someone who is more in tune than i with PDF conversions... :(
Thanks, if you mean hardware on the boat the strut and fins are on, the strut is just forward of the rear cross piece!... If you have Word you should be able to convert it to text!..

slotracer
03-08-2005, 06:11 PM
i have a dolly i built for my flat to take it off the trailer if you would like to borrow it no problem. i live in stockton. look under the post back on the trailer
pat

Terminal Velocity
03-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Here we go let's see if this works...if not i'm sure someone can edit and help me out or for a bigger one check the image center. And if you want i can easlily email to whomever wants one. Morg where's those dimensions, LOL if/when you get them i'll edit and repost a better one but this should get you an idea, been a while for a pic....
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/542DOLLEY-med.jpg

Terminal Velocity
03-08-2005, 06:15 PM
hmmmm a little small try this again....
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/542DOLLEY.jpg

GofastRacer
03-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Hey that'l work!.. :cool:

EXTREMEBOATS
03-08-2005, 06:46 PM
:idea: Honey y'all are doin all wrong!!! This is how the Extremists do it...
1. 1 case of beer(COLD)
2. 1 gallon of CROWN ROYAL
3. 1/2 gallon of CAPTAIN MORGAN
4. 1 gallon BACCARDI RUM (LIGHT)
5. Mixers and Ice
6. Hopefully 6 or 7 of the 10-15 we called(buddies)
7. 2 large loaded pizzas, 20 wings, bread sticks
8. If all goes as planned by midnight the boat is off the trailer
9. Hopefully sitting on something other than the floor!
10. To put the boat back reverse these steps
11. If you have any dancers around things could get done a bit quicker!!
12. Have VIP passes available if more incentive is needed. (this always works!)
13. NEVER OFFER TO TIP THE DANCERS!!!(not cost effective)
This is a sure fire way to git 'er done!!! (that's how we do it in Florida!) I hope this helps! :D :confused:

GofastRacer
03-08-2005, 07:00 PM
That is funny!.. :D :D

Norseman
03-08-2005, 07:28 PM
:idea: I have a Brendella runner-bottom that I need to take off the trailer to have some fab work done on the trailer. The boat still has the engine in it, am I going to have to pull the motor to lighten it up? I don't have anywhere to float it, the repairs to the trailer are going to take about 3 weeks. Any ideas? I would like to be able to lift it and drive the trailer out from underneath it. I am fairly new to the flat-bottom scene and any advise would be greatly appreciated. :D
I saw a guy take a Donzi off the trailer last year at a boat ramp on Toms River.
He had stopped with the boat out of the water on the ramp to let it drain and the next guy in line was giving him a hard time. :mad: :mad:
So he jumped in the truck and took off fast, apparently they didn't have the cable on the bow because the boat slid off the trailer and landed on the ramp. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
Made quite a mess of the boat. So I would avoid this approach if possible!!! :hammer2:
They ended up using a flatbed wrecker to pick it back up..... :frown:

Morg
03-08-2005, 08:02 PM
This is real close to what I did. The only thing I did different is that I used the plywood as verticle stabalizers instead of the struts you drew. Essentialy cut the plywood into triangles & screwed them to the cross members & up rights.
For the width I placed the bunks under the stingers. I then ran the 4x4's long for a little more stability (wider is better). The length was 8'. Left the 2x6's @ 10'.
Unfortunatly I cut the dolly up to work as a cradle to hold the boat when I had it upside down for bottom work.
hmmmm a little small try this again....
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/542DOLLEY.jpg

Terminal Velocity
03-08-2005, 08:30 PM
gotta jet but tomorrow i'll do some rework on the drawing as Morg stated and see if we can't get this dialed in a little closer...seems about right morg i could'nt figure out your material list as to the construction. i agree that the bunks should be under the stringers, to support the weight of the boat especially with the motor in. My trailer has 4 bunks 2 inside the stringers and 2 outside i reworked the strakes and they are straight and now run pretty much under the stringers. The pic is something i was doing kinda in my head fast and nasty. Are you sure you didn't have 2 more 4x4's? Can't seem to calc in my mind the linear feet with only 2 4x's...
2- 4x4x10 cut to 8 foot each for length leaves 2-2 footers for uprights or 4-1 footers but where's the cross 4x's to rectangle them in?
O brain light :hammer2: ...got an idea will combine part of this one, part of Go fasts and part of yours, will have a new drawing tomorrow morning sometime. Will be strong, rigid, and should be fairly light (easy to move around)!
Take care
James

Morg
03-08-2005, 08:48 PM
J.
You are right I did use 4ea 4x4's.
The wood dolly I built for my Hondo. The stringers were wider & not over the strkes.
On the new Revenge the strakes are right under the stringers. I also added two more bunks to the road trailer to have the bunks support the stringers as best as possible. On a side note, I also reinforced the joist in the garrage to pull the motor & when the boat is parked I am planning on hooking onto the motor to lift some of the weight off the stringers. Just not sure how to treat this light weight hull. Other than run the shehite out of it at the lake.

GofastRacer
03-08-2005, 09:03 PM
BTW, I intend on making mine accomodating the Daytona as well, it will be a piece of cake!..

Da-Bull
03-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Morg, T.V., Gofast, Slotracer,
Hey thanks for the ideas, they are great! You guys are alright, hope to meet yall someday and throw down a few cold ones. The beers on me :D I'm hoping to start the CFW Sat thing when the boats done. Jr Bentpipes tells me that is the hang out. I'm at the hardware store tomorrow, Oh-Yea :cool:
Thanks a bunch!
Jeff

Morg
03-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Jeff,
Keep us updated.
My goal is to be the annoying guy who is always running his junk. See you @ CFW.
Morg

e-ticket
03-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Took my barron off trailer and flipped it over with a "rotisserie" I built out of 4x4's. Worked lika a charm! Didn't get any pics tho.....camera was DEAD

CircleJerk
03-10-2005, 01:09 AM
Dabull, Did anyone have an idea on the actual lifting? Here's what I have done in the past to change trailers in winter. Hook chain to the front of engine and v-drive. Somewhere between these two is the center of balance. I use an engine leveling device and crank the correct lifting spot. My boat weights just under 2000lbs so use appropriate stuff. An large chain hoist works ok if you have one and brace the beam you are pulling from. I used a friends warehouse with steel I beam mounted hoist. I have had very little luck sliding boats on the bunks, it seems like something always gets hung up. What do you guys use, a 6000lb winch?

CircleJerk
03-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Took my barron off trailer and flipped it over with a "rotisserie" I built out of 4x4's. Worked lika a charm! Didn't get any pics tho.....camera was DEAD
Hi Gary, that I would have liked to have seen. How high is your garage ceiling? do you have to bolt the 4X4s to the deck? I can picture a car rotisserie but not a boats.....where to attach.....bow eye, or ski tow? How is my Barron looking? Pretty naked?

Da-Bull
03-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Morg,
I will keep ya updated. Do you guys hit CFW on the first Saturday of the month or is it just understood that every Sat is ok? Remember I am a newbe. I am really looking forward to CFW to get some tips and pointers from all you guys who know whats really going on. :D
Thanks,
Jeff

Morg
03-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Jeff,
I guess the first saturday is a set up deal. I am going to be getting their as much as possible when I get the new boat running. I need some seat time before Needles.
I'll help you out, But as far as knowing what is going on, that's definatly not me. My boat is going to be my teacher for a while.
Morg

e-ticket
03-10-2005, 08:01 PM
CJ
Just stick the rotisserie in the midde hole on the transom...engine hoist to the bow eye and let her roll!.......... :cry:

GofastRacer
03-10-2005, 08:43 PM
I used my engine hoist in the back with a rope thru the center drain hole, used the cherry picker in front with rope thru the bow eye on one side, the wife and I rolled it over with ease!..

CXWone
03-11-2005, 06:07 PM
I once raised a 62 Rayson Craft off using my rafters in my garage. And it was one heavy sumbitch... I layed a 4x4 across several rafters and braced it up from underneath. And all I had was a comealong. It worked thats all I can say. Its best to own the house too, mine was a rental!!! :jawdrop: