PDA

View Full Version : steering systems

crf311
03-09-2005, 08:25 AM
I need to purchase a new steering system for the 20'sunkist hull, 454 BBC /jacuzzi pump. My question is which is a better system to go with, rack&pinion or rotary system? I took out a rotaty system but would like to go with the safer system. If I go with a R&P system how much room do I need under the dash to fit the rack? Thanks Robert

Squirtcha?
03-09-2005, 08:50 AM
I made the switch from rotary to rack and although I've seen some very smooth, easy to steer racks (pretty much every one in fact), I must've gotten a bad one. Mine's really notchy and you can feel each tooth as you turn it. I've played with shimming it and such, in hopes that it was just a clearance issue between the rack and gear, but nothing seems to help.
The change over went real well (had to redrill some holes) and there was plenty of room to install the rack. I'm just not real happy with it. In retrospect, I should've taken the thing back to where I purchased it from and had them order me another, but I didn't. If it's not necessary to switch, I'd just leave the rotary in it, and buy a new cable for it. You can disassemble the box and grease it up, install the new cable and you'd be good to go. I had changed the cable on mine once before I made the switch, and it was smooth as butter when done. Not a difficult job to install the new cable.
2 cents worth from someone who's been there and done that.
P.S. In my opinion, neither is safer than the other provided they're in good condition (gears not overly worn etc.)

HoffmanEagleMarine
03-09-2005, 09:16 AM
crf311, I installed a rack last year in my boat. With a "slight 90* bend" in the cable heading from the helm to the pump, it took approx. 30". The tighter the radius, the stiffer the steering.....As far as which is safer, I think it's 6 to one and 1/2 dozen to the other........Hope this helps, Doug :D

superdave013
03-09-2005, 09:39 AM
ever thought about a Calgo system??

NELSON#109
03-09-2005, 12:42 PM
calgo's a waste of money for that boat... rack will most likely work, but not worth the extra effort. just run the rotary, its plenty strong. replace the cable, or the whole thing if its all wasted.

Fogged Gullwing
03-09-2005, 01:31 PM
nelson,
it is a sure nice waste of money I love how they steer. my rack isn't even close. Did you guys ever check that place out?
Later BK