PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma with my neighbor

OGShocker
03-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Here is the deal,
Denise and I bought an older house in Havasu last year. We did not buy it because of the house, we bought it for the double lot and its location. It backs up to a major wash and has a great view of the lake.
The lower lot has room for a huge RV barn and we are working toward that end. We are setting the "barn" back as far as we can to provide a bigger wash down area.
When we moved in to the place, the neighbor across the street motioned me over and asked if we were going to develop the lower lot. When I answered yes he asked "HOW IS THIS GOING TO EFFECT ME"? He then went on to show me the view from his yard. Then the line that freaked me out!, "Look at that a$$hole two blocks down, he built his garage and blocked my view".
IT'S TWO BLOCKS DOWN and this guy calls a stranger an "A$$HOLE"? I am thinking he's going to fire bomb our house after I get done.
Should we say F' him and build or what?
Any input from y'all would be great.

bunny 166
03-09-2005, 08:33 AM
He doesn't really have a choice. If it's your property, and zoning allows, you can do what you want. He sould have thought of this before he bought....or if he has lived there for a while, he should have expected it. I think we all can remember what nice views we had until more houses were built around us... :notam:

MRS FLYIN VEE
03-09-2005, 08:36 AM
I would go to the city and get some kind of copy of zoning in your area. then go from there. if the city says it's o.k then f uck him.. he should have bought up the hill. :D

Havasu Luvr
03-09-2005, 08:36 AM
OG, if he was so concerned about his view then he should have purchased the lots himself. I say F*ck him and build what ever you want (within LHC code). Enjoy your future home, see ya on the water :)

taxman
03-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Just tell him look asshole thats what you call everybody else around here leave me the **** alone or else I will throw a party every weekend!!!!!! I am sure if you complain one of my drunk friends at my party will put your nose on sideways for ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop:

INSman
03-09-2005, 08:38 AM
The "view" is always subject to change in Havasu, just due to the layout and erratic building that goes on there.
At the end of the day, if you are not intelligent enough to figure that out or have the financial resources to ensure that your view is "protected", then I say that boy better put his house up for sale before you begin your project.
Maybe you could ne a nice guy and let him close escrow before you start building :idea: :idea: Then again, maybe not !! :eat:

Chris Winn
03-09-2005, 08:40 AM
hey mark,
i just had to go through that on an investment property. we bought a large lot that (on a golf course in san marcos) and proceeded to add on to the house for addtioanl room (more sqft=more rent).
the neighbor across the street sued becuse he felt that the house would block his view of the course, but he never had what was "considered" a view lot and i won.
point being is that if you can get the permits (if required in your area), there not much they can do but try to block the building with lawsuits, so guage them out to see if they can afford it or if they are just going to complain.

roostwear
03-09-2005, 08:44 AM
Next time you talk to him, point to his property and say "Look at that asshole who thought people would never build on their property so he could have a view".

ROZ
03-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Chris,
Which golfcourse?
I know that the city of san Marcos asks that you have your neighbors sign off (approval) on add ons....
Chris

Debbolas
03-09-2005, 08:49 AM
As long as there are no laws regarding "views" I think your ok.
In some towns (Alta Loma) there are some laws about building and blocking the view of the mountains.
Congrats on your new river house!

Chris Winn
03-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Chris,
Which golfcourse?
I know that the city of san Marcos asks that you have your neighbors sign off (approval) on add ons....
Chris
hey roz,
it is actually Econdido country club not san marcos (i always thought more people know where san marcos is than escondido)
we have had 2 house there for the last 8-9 years (they were in the 100k range back then)
when we went for permits there was no reuqest for sign offs (i sure hope i didn't miss that, that and the case is over with now)
evrything is fine now, just took some time to get the people to stop throwing their retirement away by fighting me.
ps- the add on was on the 1st story (i kept the house single story) their "view" was throught the side yard of the house that i put an rv pad on with the dumps and power for the motorhome

little rowe boat
03-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Hey Mark,if he was that concerned about his view then he should have purchased the property.I don't think he can do anything to stop you from building,so I say go forward.Just remember to people like him the world is full of nothing but a-holes,so don't worry about it, to him your just another a-hole.

NOTALENT
03-09-2005, 09:05 AM
It's ur property..u own that Air Space..and if he is going to be blunt and straight up call him an "ass hole" I say do it...He could build if he wanted to..and u have the same option.. :argue: IMO..

Racer277
03-09-2005, 09:08 AM
I had the same talk with my neighbor last month.
She said she knew it was just a matter of time. She seemed real nice, we'll see though. Fortunately my builder is giving her some respect with regards to radios and work site hours. She complained of a builder up the hill from her, made us look a little better.
Sounds like you are already on the wrong side of this neighbor, oh well, he can GFHS. We liked your site, your extra parking is too cool.
Now if that asshole down the wash from us builds...... :D

Waldo
03-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Build what you want...it's your land not his. Also, if you feel he will damage your property, put up some cameras (working or not) to deter. That just wrong that he is acting like that.

ChumpChange
03-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Our house pretty much has an unadultered view of the lake. There is a flag lot behind us that the people have just started to grade. I went to them offering them lots of cash for the lot but they didn't accept and still want to build their home. Do I want them to? NO. But what can I do. Nothing. He'll come to the same realization. They'll block off maybe 25% of the great view that I have. It's a loss but not enough to firebomb them.
Tell him that if he firebombs your place, you'll just build bigger with the insurance money.

Dave C
03-09-2005, 09:31 AM
maybe you two should sit down and discuss your "feelings" on the matter... that way no-one gets "offended"... ;) :rollside: :devil:

RiverOtter
03-09-2005, 09:36 AM
If he is soooo concerned with "his" view he should have bought the property himself. You could always propose he buy the property from you for a price.

HavasuDreamin'
03-09-2005, 09:43 AM
I don't think I would take the F.U. attitude with the guy, ESPECIALLY if he is a full time resident of LHC. The problem is that you do not live in LHC full time and you don't know what this guy is capable of. I would be concerned with him vandalizing your property or worse. It would be difficult for you to prove he did it.
Your in a tough spot though because this jacka** sounds like the type that is in NO WAY reasonable. If it were me, I would be curtious to the guy as much as I could and then do what you want............but make sure you have a full time resident neighbor or two that keeps an eye on your place and make sure he knows you have people covering your back.

AquaBoogie
03-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Just tell him look asshole thats what you call everybody else around here leave me the **** alone or else I will throw a party every weekend!!!!!! I am sure if you complain one of my drunk friends at my party will put your nose on sideways for ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop:
Taxman, I got stuck on your avatar and forgot what the thread was about.

spectratoad
03-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Tell him to add another story to his house so he can get the view back. :notam:

Ziggy
03-09-2005, 09:56 AM
The city has a building height limit so what the heck is he so worried about. :notam: Its not like your gonna build a 5 level parking complex or something. :rolleyes:
If he's a slightly older guy then his view is his worry, but improvements like yours in any neighborhood are good for values overall. Some people just have nothing better to do than whine.
Stay within the city laws and do as you desire. :smile:

Flying Tiger
03-09-2005, 10:00 AM
Yup, there it is.
I say build brother, and tell him it'll increase the value of the neighborhood if he asks again..
No matter what you do or say, their's always someone who doesn't like it and ya can't let that stop you.

Garrddogg
03-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Build it !!
If he didnt want it built on he should've bought it!
My neighbor came tellin me how my house was gonna block his view,and I asked him "would you rather I not build my house?" he just looked at me perplexed!I thought well WTF dumbass if you wanted to keep it flat you should have bought it! :cool:

topless
03-09-2005, 10:23 AM
He must be related to my neighbor!

uglycstmr
03-09-2005, 10:28 AM
Build out, build up, add on. It's your property, you spend your hard earned money on it and if zoning allows, do it and tell him to POUND SAND ASSHOLE!

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
03-09-2005, 10:34 AM
I say fock him........ If he needs a view that bad tell him to BUILD UP :idea:
It's your house, do as you want. Don't worry about all the other fockers in the area. Do what you and the Mrs. like !!!!!! :D

gnarley
03-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Sounds like you are trying to be as diplomatic as possible, kudos. I think it is good to have a dialog with the guy knowing what he has already said and how he is reacting. You want to be a good neighbor and fit in to the neighborhood and not worry about your stuff when gone, so the in your face I'm guna do what I want attitude might blow up in the future and come back to haunt you.
Your doing the right thing by getting the consensus of others and checking with zoning, sounds like you have a conscience. You know what you want to do which is no different than ANY of the others who built before you. Let them know your intentions are no different than theirs were, they bought and built and someday someone may build and block your view, that could happen couldn't it? Ask this guy what he would do given your needs; maybe there is a compromise. YOU do want this guy on your side if at all possible. If you try and he resists reason then move forward without his blessing and do it anyway, you tried.
Lots of luck

riverbound
03-09-2005, 10:47 AM
We have had two instances with neighbors and their views at two of our houses.
The first one was at our house in Bigbear. We were in the process of painting our house (we were doing it ourselves on the weekends). We started painting the house but did not finish it on the first weekend so we had to come boack and finish it the following weekend, well something cam up and our plans to paint got delayed for 1 more weekend. When we showed up Firday night at 9:00 pm about 5minutes later the neighbor behind us was knocking at our door and yelling at us. She was saying that out house was an eyesore and we better get the painting finished this weekend. Well being rather spitefull I went around the back of the house and Painted " F YOU" along the back of the house and eft it there for two years. We never hang out in the back yard and the front of the house was already done. That old Biatch had to look at that for two whole years. :D
The next one was at the river, We built an awning to cover the boats we leave out there. Well our a-hole neighbor didnt like the way they looked and found out they were 2inches to far out per city code. So we had to modify them which seemed to be no big deal except once we tried to put the boat back under it it was such a tight fit that we would scrape the fender on the trailer everytime we put the boat away. Well to get revenge we got approval to build an 8 foot high wood fence that ran the length of our deck all the way to the water line. Being that our deck is raised it only cam up about 2 feet higher than our deck and didnt hinder our view at all. Well it completeley blocked their southern view of the river. they actually tried to sue us for it but being that every thing we did was approved byt he city they had no case. We actually left the fence up for a while until we came to atruce with them now we are totally cool with each other.

Mrs.Racer277
03-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Build it. That is why you bought what you did. He had to know when he bought his land that some A-Hole would eventually build there. :) That is one of the main things that we thought about when we were looking.

NOTALENT
03-09-2005, 11:55 AM
We have had two instances with neighbors and their views at two of our houses.
The first one was at our house in Bigbear. We were in the process of painting our house (we were doing it ourselves on the weekends). We started painting the house but did not finish it on the first weekend so we had to come boack and finish it the following weekend, well something cam up and our plans to paint got delayed for 1 more weekend. When we showed up Firday night at 9:00 pm about 5minutes later the neighbor behind us was knocking at our door and yelling at us. She was saying that out house was an eyesore and we better get the painting finished this weekend. Well being rather spitefull I went around the back of the house and Painted " F YOU" along the back of the house and eft it there for two years. We never hang out in the back yard and the front of the house was already done. That old Biatch had to look at that for two whole years. :D
The next one was at the river, We built an awning to cover the boats we leave out there. Well our a-hole neighbor didnt like the way they looked and found out they were 2inches to far out per city code. So we had to modify them which seemed to be no big deal except once we tried to put the boat back under it it was such a tight fit that we would scrape the fender on the trailer everytime we put the boat away. Well to get revenge we got approval to build an 8 foot high wood fence that ran the length of our deck all the way to the water line. Being that our deck is raised it only cam up about 2 feet higher than our deck and didnt hinder our view at all. Well it completeley blocked their southern view of the river. they actually tried to sue us for it but being that every thing we did was approved byt he city they had no case. We actually left the fence up for a while until we came to atruce with them now we are totally cool with each other.
ahh ur just a cold hearted focker!!! hah..I like it!! haha.I probably would have done something worse.. :220v:

djunkie
03-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Get your permits and whatever else you need so that you are legal and build what you want. F-him its your place. If he doesn't like it he'll move.

riverbound
03-09-2005, 12:45 PM
ahh ur just a cold hearted focker!!! hah..I like it!! haha.I probably would have done something worse.. :220v:
Oh there was worse a drunken night with the spud gun comes to mind :D
A couple of 6am harley rides with about 30-40 bikes on Sat. morn. :D
Oh yeah and there was the time......uh nevermind, dont want to incriminate myself. ;)

Havasu_Dreamin
03-09-2005, 01:44 PM
We had a partial lake view out of the back yard of our house when we had it built. Someone bought the lot and decided to build on it and no we have virtually no view, but WTF can we do about it? Nothing.
I don't necessarily know if I would tell him to phuck off but I would certainly work with the city in securing all of the proper permits and then when he complains he will have no recourse. Do you know your other neighbors fairly well? If so, I would explain the situation to them and see what they say. Perhaps this jacka$$ has a history with causing problems. If so, proving that he did something in the future might be easier.

Sanger D
03-09-2005, 01:54 PM
if it is ok by the city,then rock n roll and have huge partys every weekend and invite all of us.Iffin he wants to get nasty? then we ALL go pay him a visit.

Tom Brown
03-09-2005, 02:07 PM
There are people who you will not be able to keep happy, regardless of what you do.
In case of trouble, I advocate violence.

Racer277
03-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Riverbound, I really like your style.
The FU story gives me a warm feeling in my heart.
I love this place.
:D :D :D

markc
03-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Hey Mark, Tell him to grow up! maybe then he will have a view :cool:

riverbound
03-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Riverbound, I really like your style.
The FU story gives me a warm feeling in my heart.
I love this place.
:D :D :D
We used to sit their and watch that old bag sit at her dining room table (that faced the back of our house) and just stare at us giving us the death look. We just gave her the sinlge finger salute back.Too bad the old bag kicked the bucket it was fun focking with her. The people that bought her house are really cool so we finished the house painting.

Norseman
03-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Here is the deal,
Denise and I bought an older house in Havasu last year. We did not buy it because of the house, we bought it for the double lot and its location. It backs up to a major wash and has a great view of the lake.
The lower lot has room for a huge RV barn and we are working toward that end. We are setting the "barn" back as far as we can to provide a bigger wash down area.
When we moved in to the place, the neighbor across the street motioned me over and asked if we were going to develop the lower lot. When I answered yes he asked "HOW IS THIS GOING TO EFFECT ME"? He then went on to show me the view from his yard. Then the line that freaked me out!, "Look at that a$$hole two blocks down, he built his garage and blocked my view".
IT'S TWO BLOCKS DOWN and this guy calls a stranger an "A$$HOLE"? I am thinking he's going to fire bomb our house after I get done.
Any input from y'all would be great.
I'd tell him your going to build, but you would be willing to sell him the property if he hands you enough money.
It's your lot as long as you follow the building codes don't worry about it. If he hassles you report him!

Dribble
03-09-2005, 03:04 PM
If he doesn't want the lot developed then he can just buy it himself.

UltraLucky
03-09-2005, 03:15 PM
You could offer to sell him a view easement accross a portion of your lot for a "fair" price. I have seen situations in the past were a homeowner will buy an adjacent lot when it comes on the market, record a height restrication easement on the title then re-sell the lot.

Jbb
03-09-2005, 04:19 PM
I would build a 5 level parking deck... :supp:

OGShocker
03-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Thank you all for you input.
I cannot/would not sell the lower lot. It is the main reason we bought this place.
I cannot/would not treat him like $hit, we are not built that way.
So, I guess we build the barn and kill him with kindness until we are forced to tell him to f off... Then I'll have Denise tell him...LOL :D
Thanks again!
OGS/Mark

MudPumper
03-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Build it and paint a mural of what the view would have looked like if it wasn't there. :eek: :wink: I say if the neighbor gets shitty with you after you start construction paint it the ugliest damn color you can find just to make it stand out and bug the hell out of him. Purple or lime green........

Mr.Havasu
03-09-2005, 04:56 PM
I don't think it is really that big of a deal to him. Some people just like to hear the sound of their voice winning. As I recall he didn't even have that great of a lake view anyway. He is on a main street miles away from the lake a worried about a little sliver of blue. Did you ask him who's view he spoiled when he built his house there 2 years ago? I doubt he lost any sleep worrying over his neighbor's view the way you are when he built.
His wife is in Real estate and it's her duty to protect property rights of property owners, he won't do anything. It's not like he had a tremendious view he is losing and it's not like it will effect his property value at all( Well it might raise his value having a nicer home across the street with a BIG BEAUTIFUL RV/AIRPLANE HANGER. You are a very nice man to consider his feelings but everyone has the right to use their property in accordance to the zoning laws of the city. GO FOR IT!

coolchange
03-09-2005, 06:21 PM
If he has an appraisable view he can do something about it. If he can't prove a loss of value he's just blowin smoke.

ROZ
03-09-2005, 06:59 PM
hey roz,
it is actually Econdido country club not san marcos (i always thought more people know where san marcos is than escondido)
we have had 2 house there for the last 8-9 years (they were in the 100k range back then)
when we went for permits there was no reuqest for sign offs (i sure hope i didn't miss that, that and the case is over with now)
evrything is fine now, just took some time to get the people to stop throwing their retirement away by fighting me.
ps- the add on was on the 1st story (i kept the house single story) their "view" was throught the side yard of the house that i put an rv pad on with the dumps and power for the motorhome
How do they like the view now? :D:D:D
The Esco Country Club is about 4 blocks from me ....
You from around here?