PDA

View Full Version : Need Help On Msd

oldbuck40
03-09-2005, 08:38 AM
last night i finished the install of my MSD ignition, well it cranked right up but when i turned the key off it would'nt kill the engine! what msd calls run on!
i finally pulled the coil wire and it went dead. the thing is this morning it will crank up and go dead with the key like it should..the only thing i did last night b/4 i went home was put the battery charger on a good slow 2amp charge,,i havent put the diode in yet either!!! so what is going on with it?????

jdf
03-09-2005, 08:43 AM
it might be getting feed back from alt. or a bad key switch ???? hell i don't know shiss......call the slow snowan

oldbuck40
03-09-2005, 08:50 AM
it might be getting feed back from alt. or a bad key switch ???? hell i don't know shiss......call the slow snowanHELL NO!!!he has been sick and dont feel good and his help didnt show up for work yesterday either so you can imagine!!! you know him.

jdf
03-09-2005, 09:01 AM
in that case don't call,,,,bet tammy is having fun. he's grumpy when he is sick and the help don't show

Taylorman
03-09-2005, 09:05 AM
I had the same problem. The diodes did not fix the problem for me. The problem is the MSD box is getting voltage from you alternator exciter wire which is connected to your key, probably the same terminal that you connected the MSD box to. What i did to fix the problem was I seperated the MSD wire from the alternator wire on the key. My key switch has two terminals on it for switched power. I put the alternator on one and the MSD box on another. Fixed the problem.

oldbuck40
03-09-2005, 09:05 AM
in that case don't call,,,,bet tammy is having fun. he's grumpy when he is sick and the help don't showyea i called around 10 am and he didnt call me back till 630 or so and he sounded like crap!

jdf
03-09-2005, 09:10 AM
yes what taylorman said that might be it

Taylorman
03-09-2005, 09:15 AM
My key has two switched power terminals on the back. One terminal is a accessory that gets power when you turn the key backwards and when the key is in the on position. The other gets power when the key is in the on position only. I use both of them for switched power accessories.

oldbuck40
03-09-2005, 09:19 AM
I had the same problem. The diodes did not fix the problem for me. The problem is the MSD box is getting voltage from you alternator exciter wire which is connected to your key, probably the same terminal that you connected the MSD box to. What i did to fix the problem was I seperated the MSD wire from the alternator wire on the key. My key switch has two terminals on it for switched power. I put the alternator on one and the MSD box on another. Fixed the problem.
so what your saying is even though the key is turned off there still will be a feed back problem if the two wires are on the same post on the switch? so when you seperated the 2 wires on different terminals and cut the key off it broke the feed back circuit!!! am i on the right track?????

Taylorman
03-09-2005, 09:28 AM
If the two wires are on the same terminal on your key, they will be touching and it doesn't matter if the key is off. If you seperate them they will no longer touch and you will eliminate your feedback from the alt. Call me if you have any questions. 337-289-0550.
Kevin

oldbuck40
03-09-2005, 09:36 AM
If the two wires are on the same terminal on your key, they will be touching and it doesn't matter if the key is off. If you seperate them they will no longer touch and you will eliminate your feedback from the alt. Call me if you have any questions. 337-289-0550.
Kevindang i hate getting under that dash!!! pretty tight quarters! but im not going to get it done sitting here on the puter! talk to ya'll this afternoon if i dont get stuck under the dash!

sanger rat
03-09-2005, 05:34 PM
last night i finished the install of my MSD ignition, well it cranked right up but when i turned the key off it would'nt kill the engine! what msd calls run on!
i finally pulled the coil wire
You are a brave guy. Spark from a MSD will light you up! :supp:

Taylorman
03-09-2005, 05:51 PM
You are a brave guy. Spark from a MSD will light you up! :supp:
Your right about that. I got shocked by mine once and let me tell you, that shit hurt. My wife laughed her head off when she saw me get shocked. I don't f around with it anymore.
Did you fix the run on problem?