PDA

View Full Version : Raise the Rear of the Motor?

P-Money
03-09-2005, 10:10 AM
I need to raise the back of my motor up about a 1/2". The oil pan is just reasting on the top of the intake bolts. The boats are already cut off as low as they can be. Anyone have any ideas as to what I could use for a spacer between the bellhousing and where it rests on the pump?
Or is there a better way to raise the back up?
Thanks in advance!

roostwear
03-09-2005, 10:32 AM
You have a 3 point mount?

P-Money
03-09-2005, 10:40 AM
As opposed to a rail kit....? If so, then yes, 3 point.

jet4fun
03-09-2005, 10:51 AM
I would recommend getting rid of that 3 point mount and going with either a 4 point mount or a rail system... the 3 point mount puts part of the weight of the motor on the pump itself, which is not the best setup to have. the 4 point, or rail mount puts all the weight of the motors on the stringers ... I used to have the 3 point mount in my boat and I had the same problem, I installed a 4 point setup and aligned the driveshaft and now my pan clears the top of my intake by about an inch.

BrendellaJet
03-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Yeah, Id stear clear of that 3 point. Too many other stronger, more stable alternatives. Have you thought about having the oil pan notched to clear the bolts? That may work. Id avoid shimming the 3 point for clearance though...

roostwear
03-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Replace the pan, or change over to a 4 point. I don't see how you can raise the rear of the engine as the rear mount determines the driveline angle. If you remove the bottom plate from the rear mount, there's nothing there to (reliably) keep the rear in position.

P-Money
03-09-2005, 12:10 PM
OK, next question, where's the best place to get a rail kit? I'm looking for polished aluminum.

MOPARMARLIN
03-09-2005, 12:25 PM
I Ordered A Oil Pan From Dooley For My Jetboat -- We Had A Clearence Problem Just Like Yours. But Mine Is A 4 Point Mount. He Notched The Pan Just Like Brendella Jet Said. Thats What I Did -- Good Luck On The Clearence
Steve

BrendellaJet
03-09-2005, 12:32 PM
OK, next question, where's the best place to get a rail kit? I'm looking for polished aluminum.
Depends on how much you want to spend...Ive got about 200 bucks into mine, plus about 50 hours of set up, filing, drilling and polishing :220v:
Duane sells a nice kit with all the holes drilled already, you just have to do the fit & finish. I think it goes for $375... Prices go up from there, but also come in varying stages of completion...
I was quoted $1200 by one of the local respected marine shops. I think I did a good job of duplicating their work, for a lot less money. But the price they are charging is definitely fair, as there is a ton of work that goes into it.

Taylorman
03-09-2005, 12:44 PM
THEY HAVE ONE ON EBAY
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26455&item=4534496027&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Oldsquirt
03-09-2005, 12:56 PM
P-money, what engine do you have???? If it's a BBC, you need to check your pan depth FIRST. There are two different depths, 7.8" and 8.8". If you are using the deeper of the two, replace it with the shallower pan and appropriate oil pump pickup.
As Roostwear mentioned, you cant just arbitrarily raise the engine to clear, as that will increase u-joint angle substantially.

oldbuck40
03-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Yeah, Id stear clear of that 3 point. Too many other stronger, more stable alternatives. Have you thought about having the oil pan notched to clear the bolts? That may work. Id avoid shimming the 3 point for clearance though...as brendellajet said,notch the pan. when i bought my taylor sj it had a rail mount in it and the stock oil pan,,the kid i got it from said ,,uhhh yea it leaks a little oil but not much!!! i got home and quickly found a small worn hole in the rear of the pan from the intake bolts. and i also found several other nuts and bolts that had fallen into that area that were wedged under the pan and starting to rub!either way you go just make sure you are able to retrieve any nuts bolts tool ect!!! from under the pan...it will save you in the long run...

Taylorman
03-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Hey oldbuck, do you still have a rail mount in your SJ. What oil pan you have in it? Got any pictures?

P-Money
03-09-2005, 01:19 PM
BBC. Will measure when I get home.

oldbuck40
03-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Hey oldbuck, do you still have a rail mount in your SJ. What oil pan you have in it? Got any pictures? stock GM pan??? i guess,, looks like one off a truck! i have no clue,and yes i still have a rail mount,,give me a few minutes i just happen to have the camera with me today and the boat is out there in the shop,,if ya dont mind looking at a wire cluster i havent finished yet!!! be right back