PDA

View Full Version : Msd ????

Hardin18 II
03-09-2005, 10:30 AM
I have noticed a lot of people have it. What exactly do they do to improve performance? Do you get more HP with them?

riverbound
03-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Mine halped the boat start better and idle better it also gave me a rev limiter. I am not sure if it gives you more HP. I know ,my boat just seems to run alot better now that I have added it.

Hardin18 II
03-09-2005, 12:40 PM
What do they run $. I have a 454 and thanx for the info..

Hardin18 II
03-09-2005, 01:13 PM
www.summitracing.com
Depending on what your looking to achieve I think they start around 160.00 or so. the MSD 6al is a nice unit tho not considered "marine" due it is not water proof or sealed, but they still work great mounted correctly away from water. The 6al's have a built in adjustable rev limiter which is handy in a boat. They also plug and play with the MSD distributors which run about 200.00 or so. The MSD marine unit comes with out the rev limiter tho, and they are spendy. All these units have the ability to add on other features.
Most problems encountered with these units are poor installation, like any electronic device they do have failure rates. I have been very lucky over the years and have never had one go bad.
It seems wierd that the marine version doesnt have a rev limiter. The rev limiter is a major sell point for me. I have a 18 ft. Hardin Marine, Low freeboard. I cant think of a place where I could mount the 6al with out it getting wet eventualy. Is there a way to water proof them?

Heatseeker
03-09-2005, 01:28 PM
If you mount the ignition box high on the transom, you should be fine. I've done it this way a few times without a problem. It won't get more than a splash now and then, unless the boat sinks :rolleyes: .

Hardin18 II
03-09-2005, 01:54 PM
next ? How much (approx.) does it cost to have it properly installed.

Hardin18 II
03-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanx for the helpfull info. dragboats.

jstwkd
03-09-2005, 04:58 PM
I have a complete marine msd system...mounted my box and rev limiter box to a bracket to the back of the head...passenger side...never had a problem..I also ran a 18' hardin marine as well....

wsuwrhr
03-09-2005, 05:00 PM
I am a big believer in MSD, I run it in all my vehicles.
They start up the first time everytime. VW's and Dodges even, if you can believe that.
Distributor, box, and coil.
The boat has the whole deal though, distributor, box, coil, crank trigger, timing computer, timing adjustor.
I wouldn't do it any other way.
Brian

MudPumper
03-09-2005, 05:11 PM
I've been running the 6m2 mounted to the back of the left head for 2 seasons now and I love it. I have the soft touch rev limiter and the pro billit dist. The great thing about them is how easy they are to install. All the wires just plug into each other witht the weather proof connectors. Piece of cake. Not the best pic of the box but you get the idea.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1653Rail10_driveline-med.JPG

sifocalpoint
03-09-2005, 07:48 PM
We got the pro billet distrib, coil, wires, 6 al box, wire separaters, coil holder, and it was all shipped to the door for around 600.00
Like they said, the box isnt waterproof but mount it in the right place, and make sure to utilize the rubber mounts that come with it!! It will vibrate alot.
It all looks good, starts instantly, and the spark is insanely large as compared to a stock ignition. As far as power goes, the boat did not pick up any speed or noticable power at all.
We now have MSD in both out v-drives and our jet we just sold and trust me its alot better than messing with points all the time (thats if you still have points).
Overall its a good investment

HammerDown
03-09-2005, 09:02 PM
:idea: MSD RTR Distrbutior...no box to deal with :hammer2: ...sounds like a plan to me. ;)
And MSD said an excellent set up for a Hot Rod river Jet.

squirt
03-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Was worried agout the MSD 6al getting wet too. I made a plate and mounted the MSD and Banderlog valve to it and made a plastic cover. I mounted it to the transom, I don't think it's ever got wet yet. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/284IMG01.png
Don

Fogged Gullwing
03-09-2005, 10:16 PM
To answer the question 18 hp on the dyno with an average V-8 MSD 6 al vs the marine box is a tube of silicone seal up your 6 al and you have a marine box!!!! what maybe a 50.00 to 100.00 difference for a caulking tube? Good luck with it!!!
BK

wsuwrhr
03-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Was worried agout the MSD 6al getting wet too. I made a plate and mounted the MSD and Banderlog valve to it and made a plastic cover. I mounted it to the transom, I don't think it's ever got wet yet. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/284IMG01.png
Don
Dig the box Don.
Brian

wsuwrhr
03-09-2005, 10:45 PM
It all looks good, starts instantly, and the spark is insanely large as compared to a stock ignition.
You know it's funny,
Years ago, I got shocked inadvertently from my MSD on the Valiant. Makes a cool sound, I couldn't move my hand normally for 10 or 15 minutes, made me a believer in a big way.
That never happened with any stock ignition, including Hei.
Brian