PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices Suck! What about Bio Fuel???

cdog
03-11-2005, 08:32 AM
I'm no hippy here, but one of the reasons i'm looking forward to getting a duramax HD is the option of using Veggie oil to run the thing. Fact is the deisel engine was designed to run on penut oil and it works just the same, only smells better. Willie Nelson and Jack Johnson run it in their tour busses. I've seen kits for sale that convert to veggie oil once you warm the engine on the reg fuel. Anyone seen this yet or had any experiances? If not do a search for biofuel.

Racer277
03-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I got a buddy up here talking me into going in on a still with him. I doubted most of his claims, as it sounds too good to be true. Well talked to a few auto engineers (degrees and everything), and they agreed with all of his claims. Cleaner, quieter, smoother, better in every way for the engine.
He says we make 55gal. in 2 days. I don't see much down side now.
I'll let you know the outcome when I get going with him.

riverbound
03-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Smells better???? Like Penaut butter or roasted peanuts?

cdog
03-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I got a buddy up here talking me into going in on a still with him. I doubted most of his claims, as it sounds too good to be true. Well talked to a few auto engineers (degrees and everything), and they agreed with all of his claims. Cleaner, quieter, smoother, better in every way for the engine.
He says we make 55gal. in 2 days. I don't see much down side now.
I'll let you know the outcome when I get going with him.
Looks to be what we should be running. I wonder what the goverment will do when everyone with diesels has a gas still on the side of their home. Moonshine Fuel. :)

cdog
03-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Smells better???? Like Penaut butter or roasted peanuts?
They say the used vegetable oil from resturaunts smells like french fries.

Racer277
03-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Yeah, that's our plan. So I smell like the kid that works at WacArnolds and gets rolled for his paycheck. I'll still be chillin at the river on cheap gas! F them if they want to tax me by the mile!

cdog
03-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Yeah, that's our plan. So I smell like the kid that works at WacArnolds and gets rolled for his paycheck. I'll still be chillin at the river on cheap gas! F them if they want to tax me by the mile!
Do you have a link or website where your buying your still? Be sure to wear your jean overalls and flannel shirt with the arms ripped out when working on the still. That way you look like a real stills man. :smile:

Freak
03-11-2005, 09:03 AM
It possible to run either bio-diesel --- which you can make with used cooking oil and currently is widely available for free from your local restaurants. Racing methanol is about $2.50 per gallon, but you only need 1/5th of a gallon for every gallon of biodiesel. Lye is about $5/lb. at the hardware store, but closer to $3/lb. in 25lb. bulk bags. You need about 1.5lbs/40 gal.
Or run veg oil. Fire the truck up on diesel, switch over to grease - a few miles to destinination switch back to diesel. Don't forget to switch back or you will have trouble starting her backup.
I know of a couple people doing it.

Freak
03-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Do you have a link or website where your buying your still? Be sure to wear your jean overalls and flannel shirt with the arms ripped out when working on the still. That way you look like a real stills man. :smile:
http://www.biodieselsolutions.com/home/home.asp for a still.

Freak
03-11-2005, 09:04 AM
My suggestion is to look at what they have in the setup still and make your own.

cdog
03-11-2005, 09:07 AM
It possible to run either bio-diesel --- which you can make with used cooking oil and currently is widely available for free from your local restaurants. Racing methanol is about $2.50 per gallon, but you only need 1/5th of a gallon for every gallon of biodiesel. Lye is about $5/lb. at the hardware store, but closer to $3/lb. in 25lb. bulk bags. You need about 1.5lbs/40 gal.
Or run veg oil. Fire the truck up on diesel, switch over to grease - a few miles to destinination switch back to diesel. Don't forget to switch back or you will have trouble starting her backup.
I know of a couple people doing it.
That's exactly what i've read. I just want to hear or see if anyone actually knows someone doing this rather than some euro turd on the net.

Freak
03-11-2005, 09:08 AM
Also if your going the bio-diesel route you will need to switch out a few things on the truck if it is old. Bio-diesel is a great cleaner so it will clean your fuel tank and lines of the stuff reg diesel leaves behind. Which will clog your fuel filter. Or for the first 5 or so tanks switch out the fuel filter.

cdog
03-11-2005, 09:10 AM
http://www.biodieselsolutions.com/home/home.asp for a still.
Great link! Thank you. More people should know about this.

Freak
03-11-2005, 09:11 AM
That's exactly what i've read. I just want to hear or see if anyone actually knows someone doing this rather than some euro turd on the net.
I have a friend with a old VW jetta that he switched to grease. He gets 45mpg on the grease which the resturants are happy to give up cause they have to pay to have it removed. He picks up a 55 gal drum, heats it to make all the junk fall to the bottom and fills her up. I know many say it will cause the injector pump to fail but he's been running for years with NO problems. Free fuel. Cant beat that. I'm looking for a old jetta myself before people catch on.
I dont talk much about it cause people think I'm full of chit. Not for long I think.

cdog
03-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Also if your going the bio-diesel route you will need to switch out a few things on the truck if it is old. Bio-diesel is a great cleaner so it will clean your fuel tank and lines of the stuff reg diesel leaves behind. Which will clog your fuel filter. Or for the first 5 or so tanks switch out the fuel filter.
I'll be buying a new 05 duramax.

Freak
03-11-2005, 09:15 AM
I know for some reason some diesels are more suited to run it. Check into your model. I bet some of the diesel techs around here might know.

hoolign
03-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Better have some good range with that fuel..you'll need to drive along way to get away from the gang of fat chicks that will be swarming the truck :D

Freak
03-11-2005, 09:23 AM
For the grease setup. Again look at the parts and put it together for 1/2 the price on your own. http://www.greasecar.com/

cdog
03-11-2005, 09:33 AM
I know for some reason some diesels are more suited to run it. Check into your model. I bet some of the diesel techs around here might know.
From what i've read the newer trucks and cars have better and stronger seals. Since the solvent is stronger in the bio diesel it needs better seals and all of the newer diesels have them.

cdog
03-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Better have some good range with that fuel..you'll need to drive along way to get away from the gang of fat chicks that will be swarming the truck :D
Cool thing is, if you need gas you can mix it with reg pump diesel. No problems.

Freak
03-11-2005, 09:39 AM
Just dont dance in the streets smelling the french fry smell.
Petrol addict is sent to prison
Brian Taylor had been banned from every Asda in the country
A man with an addiction to sniffing petrol has been jailed after breaking an order banning him from petrol station forecourts.
Brian Taylor, 36, was banned from every Asda store and from being within 15 metres of filling stations on Teesside.
Taylor terrorised staff and customers after cutting pipes, sniffing petrol and dancing around the forecourts.
He was jailed for three months after being caught on CCTV weeks after the anti-social behaviour order was given.
The order will continue until 31 January 2009.
Taylor cut the pipes of the petrol pumps, and on some occasions customers had been soaked in petrol.
Sgt Brian Tams, of Cleveland Police, said on Friday: "We are wanting this lad to get help.
"Now that he has been imprisoned in breach of his Asbo there may be a chance he can rehabilitate himself with the help of the prison services."

cdog
03-11-2005, 10:00 AM
What a Freak! :)

hoolign
03-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Cool thing is, if you need gas you can mix it with reg pump diesel. No problems.
Ther ewould definitley be a benefit to being able to use more than one kind of fuel. You can configure deisel motors to run on propane as well with a conversion, which is another option. Somthing drastic has to be done to give people more options. I 'm lucky I dont pay for deisel,and when I do i'm reembursed!.. Not everyone is that fortunate. It's rediculous when deisel is more than gas up here!

hoolign
03-11-2005, 10:49 AM
What a Freak! :)
No shit..it's pretty sad when a human being lets him/herself get brought down to that kind of level!.. it'd be cheaper to buy a bag!