PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in need of 455 heads???

HOOTER SLED-
03-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Got some in the garage from my old boat. Don't need them. I think they are K's. I can check. Have minimal hrs. on them. Maybe 10. They came off a block I replaced that I only had like 10 hrs. on. The new block had heads on it. So I did not need them. Make me an offer. I can get a pic if I have to.

HOOTER SLED-
03-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Bumpppppppp

Jet Boat John
03-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Okay..... I'll bite.
If you will confirm that they are K or Ka's and if they have the big valves I may be interested. But most important, have they been checked for cracks and what do you want for'um?
PM me
JBJ

454hanson
03-13-2005, 02:08 AM
New to the jet boat scene, have a sanger super jet w 455 in process of completly redoing, need heads one of mine is cracked. Where are you located, and how much for the heads? Are they K or Ka's? And if possible the casting #'s.

likwidsukr
03-13-2005, 07:21 PM
New to the jet boat scene, have a sanger super jet w 455 in process of completly redoing, need heads one of mine is cracked. Where are you located, and how much for the heads? Are they K or Ka's? And if possible the casting #'s.
Nothing against you Kim but 2 Hansons :( :(

HOOTER SLED-
03-14-2005, 03:11 PM
I believe they are K's. I'll pull them out. I'm in Torrance(L.A. area). I'll have to figure out what they are worth.

454hanson
03-16-2005, 04:28 AM
What was the reason for the replacement? Would they be able to just bolt on? Any chance I could see a picture of them. Head #s. And any idea what it would cost to ship to MN. Currently im stuck in Iraq, trying to get all parts needed to complete my sanger when I get back after our deployment.

HOOTER SLED-
03-16-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm assuming if there is a lower case "a" beneath the "K", that means they are Ka heads???? Still need to get a pic. Any offers???

bigkatboat
03-16-2005, 06:50 PM
I have an Olds motor with the exhaust and mounts for sale (for sail). I think it was a 325hp version. It has a Holley carb, aluminum high rise, HEI dist., all of the polished 'trick' covers and mounts, it is all apart. The crank has been turned and it has new bearings, I think it is .030' over, the heads, block, crank, rods, and pistons are ready to be cleaned and assembled. It needs a cam and lifters, and the gaskets. I want $550.00. It is the complete 'deal' and has the "H" unit and all of the 'little things'. If you want it in a running state, PM me. If you want to 'DIYS', I'm open for cash or limited trades. I would put a NEW set of springs and a new cam/lifters in it. All of the parts look good and if it doesn't sell I'll put it together.

454hanson
03-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Hooter, is there a # or e-mail adress I could get ahold of you at? Tried the pm and mail thing but it said that I didn't have sufficient privilages, whats up with that? Do you have to have a certain number of replys before you can reply if you are new too the forum?

HOOTER SLED-
03-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Hooter, is there a # or e-mail adress I could get ahold of you at? Tried the pm and mail thing but it said that I didn't have sufficient privilages, whats up with that? Do you have to have a certain number of replys before you can reply if you are new too the forum?
The shipping may kill you. The PM thing should work??????

HOOTER SLED-
03-20-2005, 01:50 AM
BUmp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy me. Buy me. Buy me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sleek-Jet
03-20-2005, 03:02 AM
I'm assuming if there is a lower case "a" beneath the "K", that means they are Ka heads???? Still need to get a pic. Any offers???
Yep, should be Ka's... not a bad head, but not a "C" casting either. I've got Ka's on my motor. The Ka's are a smog head, but flow decent, they pretty much came on all of the marine motors from the early 70's on.
From what I can gather, the "K" heads were considered an industrial or severe-duty head (you could also find them on pump engines). Some of the rocket power peeps consider them exotic heads, but they are fairly common.
From the Olds Faq webpage : http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/oldsfaq.htm
*K, Ka 413191 80cc 2.072" 1.625"
1973-76 factory W-30/ Marine/ Irrigation head replacement unit. Rumored to have possibly been supplied as original equipment on some '72 W-30's. Accepted by the NHRA as a stock W-30 head. Large valves, 2.072 and 1.625". Big 80cc chambers which yields poor compression figures, but so are the C's, etc. unless you shave them. Rumored to flow not quite so well as C's [source: Mondello]. Valve rotators on all valves, therefore deep spring seats, allowing either rotator retainers or very stiff springs. Hardened exhaust seats. Exhaust heat crossover is NOT blocked off. Not quite so rare or expensive as the other 'exotics' (F, H's). Also said to be found in 1973-1974 standard shift big blocks found in Cutlass'.

Back Forty
03-20-2005, 09:45 AM
Ka's are the best factory head as cast that you'll find because they actually have hardened seats unlike the C's. They make a great head. "Most" of the car guys don't seem to know much about them so they don't get consumed on that side of the house. The Ka's are great factory heads! (In my opinion) :D

malcolm
03-20-2005, 09:56 AM
The only problem with factory hardened seats is that once you grind them, they may not be hard anymore. ;)

454hanson
03-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Hooter, Pm still dosnt work for me you have a # I could get ahold of you at to discuss $$. would appreciate it. What town are you located in.

HOOTER SLED-
03-20-2005, 11:11 AM
Hanson. I'm near Los Angeles.
I've been told that the Ka heads are NOT the smog heads. And that they have BIG valves. Who has the right answer on these heads??????? These came off the original motor from my boat built by Hardin Marine. I will definetely work on getting some pics taken today.

Back Forty
03-20-2005, 11:12 AM
454Hanson, you need to go to your user control panel and change it so you can accept pms and all of that other stuff.
If you can't come up with the Ka head here on hot boat there is an Olds board with people all over your area of the country.
www.realoldspower.com
Back Forty
Ka's aren't smog heads although any head from the '70 could be considered smog heads..? Olds never really had "smog" heads. After the A castings there were air injection bosses in the exhaust ports on all Olds heads. They weren't actually used until the 80s. Now J heads are commonly refered to as smog heads because they were small valve so called high velocity type ports although that is even questionable because guys over on ROP have made those things into some decent setups. My Olds sh*t box 120K mile '73 Olds Delta 88 (4600lbs) ran 15.2 in the quarter up at Norwalk Ohio in 90* temps on 87 octane with the so called smog J's and I bought it from the junk yard. That ain' t to shabby for a low comp bread and butter sedan from the smog era. The Ka's are considered a high performance head.

HOOTER SLED-
03-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Hanson, you need to check your user settings. I can't even send you a PM.