PDA

View Full Version : Duramx Oil Question

OutCole'd
03-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Do you use any special motor oil?

Lightning
03-12-2005, 11:16 AM
DELO400 or Rotella-T
Diesel requires different oil. I'm sure Jordy will interject with the correct specifications.

OutCole'd
03-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Just curious. My first oil change on my truck was $38.00 from Jiffy Lube. Took into another shop today and they charged about $90.00. :jawdrop: I figured they were riping me off. I guess jiffy lube screwed up.
I never knew Deisels used special motor oil. When I was a tech for Toyota in the 90's, everything got the same stuff.

Kachina26
03-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Just curious. My first oil change on my truck was $38.00 from Jiffy Lube. Took into another shop today and they charged about $90.00. :jawdrop: I figured they were riping me off. I guess jiffy lube screwed up.
I never knew Deisels used special motor oil. When I was a tech for Toyota in the 90's, everything got the same stuff.
I hope J lube only screwed up on the price!!! Don't forget to service the external trans filter if you haven't already done so.

OutCole'd
03-12-2005, 12:56 PM
I hope J lube only screwed up on the price!!! Don't forget to service the external trans filter if you haven't already done so.
Me too. That was from the last oil change to now and nothing went wrong, so I hope all is fine. What can happen if they put in the wrong oil? Any long term effects? I think they just put in the regular Quaker state.
How often are you supposed to service the external tranny filter?
My truck has to go back to the dealer on Monday anyways for the check engine light on. Also my power steering does not work at idle most of the time.

Kachina26
03-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Me too. That was from the last oil change to now and nothing went wrong, so I hope all is fine. What can happen if they put in the wrong oil? Any long term effects? I think they just put in the regular Quaker state.
My truck has to go back to the dealer on Monday anyways for the check engine light on. Also my power steering does not work at idle most of the time.
I honestly don't know if there would be any long term damage from using the wrong oil one time. I doubt it. My understanding is that you are supposed to do the trans filter at the first service. I would suggest that you RTFM. (read the fat manual) that came with that expensive toy of yours. Not very exciting reading, but there is some good stuff in there.

OutCole'd
03-12-2005, 01:18 PM
I would suggest that you RTFM. (read the fat manual) that came with that expensive toy of yours. Not very exciting reading, but there is some good stuff in there.
Very well put. :D Thanks, I get it. :D :D :hammer2:

Kachina26
03-12-2005, 01:20 PM
I work on the things, and I read the manual for every one that I buy. Just getting tough to get through all the legal disclaimers like "don't exit the vehilce while it is in drive and running" :hammer2:

OutCole'd
03-12-2005, 02:07 PM
I was a tech for 13 years, Toyota & Lexus. Towards the end, there was three books for every car. Two for the main deal & one for just the electronics. :sleeping: :sleeping:

Party Cat
03-12-2005, 02:17 PM
If ya haven't checked it already....check the level of your rear end diff fluid....lots of the trucks are 1 qt low from the dealer...

Flying Tiger
03-12-2005, 02:24 PM
The external trans filter is for the solinoids. $11 at GM.
Their's another filter inside the pan.
The GM manual says change the trans fluid every 25 K for hot and hard towing.
That's all of us.
Time for an oil change party and bar be que/beergarden at my place.
I can accomodate 4 couples. and 3 RV's.

Kilrtoy
03-12-2005, 04:33 PM
Why would anyone in their right mind take their vehicle to JIFFY LUBE.....

OutCole'd
03-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Why would anyone in their right mind take their vehicle to JIFFY LUBE.....
Convience.

djunkie
03-12-2005, 05:17 PM
When I was in college I worked part time at one of those quick oil change places. DON"T, I repeat Don't take your cars there. I have seen some very bad stuff done in those places. If you can, hit up a reputable mechanics shop, dealer, or do it yourself.

OutCole'd
03-12-2005, 05:23 PM
When I was in college I worked part time at one of those quick oil change places. DON"T, I repeat Don't take your cars there. I have seen some very bad stuff done in those places. If you can, hit up a reputable mechanics shop, dealer, or do it yourself.
Trust me, I have worked a dealerships that charge ALL the money and have seen everything there also. Double gaskets, loose drain plugs, etc. It can happen everywhere you go, regardless of how nice a place it is or how much you spend.

djunkie
03-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Trust me, I have worked a dealerships that charge ALL the money and have seen everything there also. Double gaskets, loose drain plugs, etc. It can happen everywhere you go, regardless of how nice a place it is or how much you spend.
Well if I had to make a choice I'd choose the dealer over Jiffy Lube. Thank God I service my own vehicles.

Kilrtoy
03-12-2005, 06:21 PM
I worked at Jiffy lube when i was 18 i made supervisor my first week.......BECAUSE I SPOKE ENGLISH....
Yep I remember when they bought that new Mercedes diesel engine.....
yep due to only putting in 5 quarts of the wrong oil.....It took 11....

Kachina26
03-12-2005, 06:31 PM
I worked at Jiffy lube when i was 18 i made supervisor my first week.......BECAUSE I SPOKE ENGLISH....
Yep I remember when they bought that new Mercedes diesel engine.....
yep due to only putting in 5 quarts of the wrong oil.....It took 11....
You speak english????

OutCole'd
03-12-2005, 06:33 PM
I've knew a Lexus Tech that screwed a oil filter on without removing the plastic cover & wondered why the motor had no oil pressure after running it for about a minute.
I've seen a few Toyota & Lexus tech's start a engine after doing a oil change, let it run for 30 seconds wondering why no oil pressure, with out putting any oil in it. Did not really matter if they spoke english or not. Most did.
I have seen so many screw ups, I could write a book.
I hear everyone, Jiffy Lube sucks. I'm just saying it can happen wherever you go regardless of what you pay.

Kilrtoy
03-12-2005, 06:57 PM
I've knew a Lexus Tech that screwed a oil filter on without removing the plastic cover & wondered why the motor had no oil pressure after running it for about a minute.
I've seen a few Toyota & Lexus tech's start a engine after doing a oil change, let it run for 30 seconds wondering why no oil pressure, with out putting any oil in it. Did not really matter if they spoke english or not. Most did.
I have seen so many screw ups, I could write a book.
I hear everyone, Jiffy Lube sucks. I'm just saying it can happen wherever you go regardless of what you pay.
I would rather have the dealer screw up my car then Jiffy lube......
alot more recourse

STV_Keith
03-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Delo 400 15w40 is the good stuff. The diesel oil is specific - it has additives to trap "soot" in the oil. Normal for diesel oils.

Kachina26
03-12-2005, 09:37 PM
alot more recourse
Bingo

LUVNLIFE
03-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Delo 400 15w40 is the good stuff. The diesel oil is specific - it has additives to trap "soot" in the oil. Normal for diesel oils.
Yep that's the stuff to use. I do in my Chevy, the motorhome and gensets. If you change your own Costco has a good price on it, at least the one in Valencia does.

Lightning
03-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Yep that's the stuff to use. I do in my Chevy, the motorhome and gensets. If you change your own Costco has a good price on it, at least the one in Valencia does.
$40 for 6 gallons of this stuff at Costco. Some people run it in their boats becasue of the durability, anyone here run it on their boat?

caroftheweek
03-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Just purchased the 6-1 gallon bottles of the Delo at Costco for $37.57. Can't beat that deal. I change it myself. The life saver is the Fumoto valve. www.fumotovalve.com . This makes it super easy and super clean. I can change the oil in the truck in 15 minutes with no mess.
Ryan

INSman
03-14-2005, 01:51 PM
alot more recourse
Not really more recourse, they both carry more than adequate insurance. Jiffy Lube does carry and use the Rotella oil for the Diesels. Bottom line, you can get screwed at the dealer, Jiffy Lube, or wherever. There is no guarantee that a "Master Mechanic" will be doing any work on your truck, much less changing the oil or filter !! :( :(

LUVNLIFE
03-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Just purchased the 6-1 gallon bottles of the Delo at Costco for $37.57. Can't beat that deal. I change it myself. The life saver is the Fumoto valve. www.fumotovalve.com . This makes it super easy and super clean. I can change the oil in the truck in 15 minutes with no mess.
Ryan
Yea that Fumota valve is cool. I have them on a couple of the trucks. Real timesaver :wink:

WHIPPED502
03-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Who do u think changes the oil at the dealership? Usually not the certified or master mechanic. It is usually the new kid. The one thing about Jiffy Lube is that u can stand there and watch them do it. I have a fumota drain valve that makes an oil change easy.Ford finally had a good idea and put the oil filter on top. 15 min to change oil and very clean. It takes longer to put the 15 quarts in then to drain. I think the Chevy only takes 10 quarts?

Eliminator 4 Life
03-23-2005, 08:06 PM
The external trans filter is for the solinoids. $11 at GM.
Their's another filter inside the pan.
The GM manual says change the trans fluid every 25 K for hot and hard towing.
That's all of us.
Time for an oil change party and bar be que/beergarden at my place.
I can accomodate 4 couples. and 3 RV's.
Never knew anything about an external tranny filter thanks for the 411 and the require the allison fluid changed every 25k man that sounds like a normal tranny :eek:

franky
03-23-2005, 08:39 PM
Hey let me know what the deal was with the power steering cause I got the same thing, no PS at idle most of the time. They changed the pump but not the check valve, did not help.

dieseldog
03-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Make sure if you change the external spin-on filter on the Allison, that you switch over the magnet. On top of the filter when you take it off you will see a big magnet. Don't throw it away, clean it up and put it on the new filter.