PDA

View Full Version : Polisher........

Kwicherbichen
04-01-2002, 01:09 AM
Over the last couple months a few folks and I have asked if anyone knew of some good & reasonable polishers in the So. Cal area.
For the most part I got 3 or 4 recommendations.
I called 3 polishers for a quote to do my 460 manifold.
First was "California Polishing" in Huntington Beach. They were very helpful and answered all my questions. Their quote was $145-150 with no extras.
Second was "Glistens" in Norco. Quoted 5 different prices for 5 different manifolds. When he got to mine it would be $200 with no extras.
Third was "AL REED POLISHING". When I called I got a phone message about how busy they were and if I would leave my name & number they would call back the next day. As sure as the sun rises they called me back the very next day and instantly quoted me $125. Wow, that's a good price I said, I'll be down right away and I'll be bringing extra stuff.
An hour later I'm in Al's shop shooting the bull with him and his wife Diane. They didn't even know me and yet they talked to me like we had been lifelong friends. In the course of our hour long BS session I asked Al how much more it would run me to get my bellhousing & water neck polished. He says, hmm....$25. I say ok, do them too. Then I ask whats the best way to protect all this freshly polished stuff. He says, "clear coat". Stupid me asks, "You don't mean the stuff you buy at Home Depot right"? He says, "no way. that stuff will yellow or burn off. You need clear powder coat". Oh yea, here it comes. This is where he lays the really expensive powder coating scam on me.....right? Well Al, how much would it run me to have all this stuff coated? Hmm, $35 for everything. Yeeeeesssss, cha-ching!
So here's the total:
Show Polish Manifold= $125
Bell Housing & water inlet= $25
Clear Powder Coat it all= $35
Total= $185
You wil notice that whole deal was less than it would cost Glistens to do just my manifold.
I would like to thank the person that recommended Al Reed Polishing.
Anyone else that would like to use Al Reed Polishing
3010 E. Coronado #A
Anaheim, CA 92806
(714) 632-3907
Brian

beached1
04-01-2002, 06:58 AM
Sweet! Thanx for the info Brian! I was just thinking I'd like to have my exhaust logs and risers done. I'll give them a call.

BBTAHITI
04-01-2002, 01:50 PM
You're welcome for the referral to Al. I've known him for 15 years and NOBODY ELSE does my polishing. You didn't happen to see my logs, risers and Stealth did you? Al has done my Mustangs, boat, and all the chrome alloys for me when I was at dealers. It's just too convenient living a couple miles from his shop. If you need any help picking the parts up (he works on Al time), let me know.
BBT
[This message has been edited by BBTAHITI (edited April 01, 2002).]

lakesmodified
04-01-2002, 02:19 PM
Brian, thanks for more of your help!! I just talked to Al Reed on the phone. Though I now live in Memphis, TN, I'm going to be shipping my bellhousing to him for polishing and a clear powdercoating. I spoke with him for over ten minutes, and from our phone conversation, I can say that he's one hell of a nice guy. Ivan

BBTAHITI
04-01-2002, 02:42 PM
Kwicherbichen,
I spoke with Al and my parts are done (except the Intake manifold, he didn't like it so he's redoing it). He polished the bellhousing, w/pump plate, logs, risers, motor plate and v/c's. He's blasting the manifold and clearcoating it, so if you stop by his shop by Friday, ask to see Mike's parts and you can check out the clearcoat.
Al cusses me out whenever I refer people to him, that's why he doesn't advertise and doesn't answer the phone on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He too busy.
Lakesmodified, Al filled me in on your conversation.....SoCal is great and we can probably makes some room for ya!
BBT

Banshee
04-01-2002, 03:16 PM
WOW! You guys are so lucky to live in SoCal! How about some pics of some finished work.

lakesmodified
04-01-2002, 06:11 PM
BBT, I grew up in SOCAL... Torrance Ca to be exact. I really miss the River, nothing East of the Mississippi can EVER compare to it! I moved out here almost 9 years ago, and I'm ready to move back West... Probably not Calif, but close enough to enjoy the Colorado again.

Kwicherbichen
04-02-2002, 12:14 AM
friggin double post!
[This message has been edited by Kwicherbichen (edited April 02, 2002).]

Kwicherbichen
04-02-2002, 12:14 AM
Glad Al is going to be able to help some of you out. He will most likely be my polisher of choice for years to come. I should be getting my stuff back Friday and I'll try to shoot some pics before it all gets reinstalled.
BBTahiti, I did see someones stuff there but I'm not sure if it was yours? It was a semi-high rise manifold, Bellhousing, waterpump plate, and Ford Racing valve covers. I didn't see any logs. There was so much stuff there it was quite overwhelming.
Brian

BBTAHITI
04-02-2002, 06:10 AM
Those were the parts for my 460. It's kinda fun checking out all the stuff at Al's isn't it? I've told him to get rid of all that Porsche crap to make room for more streetrod and boat work, but it's still there.
BBT
PS- Did you wonder why he's RIGHT NEXT to HARVEY'S?

Wet Dream
04-02-2002, 07:57 PM
No shit!!! Why can't there be someone like this out here? I needed to know this before I started polishing my pump. Now I'm in deep with the labor. Hell, I think the materials ran almost $100.

BBTAHITI
04-02-2002, 09:12 PM
Warning!!!! Having Al do parts for you can lead to excessive detail! I just finished my '68 Mustang (BB GT), and EVERY bracket is powercoated. From the hood hinges, to the coil springs to the 9" rear housing! The Tahiti will have the same detail my other vehicles have, but I won't go as far on THIS one that I hesitate using it. (I have said this before) http://home.earthlink.net/~mwbbstang/390gt.htm
BBT

Kwicherbichen
04-03-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by BBTAHITI:
I saw Harvey's but I don't get the joke? I probably just have my head up my ass right now?

riodog
04-03-2002, 02:50 AM
BBTAHITI, KWICHERBICHEN, I just wanted to say thanks for sharing the info with us. I dropped off a few of the pieces that I produce to get a quote on time and price and found Al and his wife Diane to be very personable people. ( actually, if anyone can put up with me, then they have to be really, really tolerant people).
Thanks
Michael-Rio Dog

Kwicherbichen
04-03-2002, 05:19 AM
Your welcome. I'm sure Al will do a teriffic job. Glad I could help out but most of the credit goes to BBTahiti

superdave013
04-03-2002, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by BBTAHITI:
The same reason I'm next to Harvey's http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
I'm right off Cornado on Van Horne Way. That's in between Red and Blue Gum Sts.

BBTAHITI
04-03-2002, 06:14 AM
KWICHERBICHEN, you don't have your HUYA, Harvey's is a strip club and they even serve food (I've heard). It's been there for years and Al would go there often and take you over and introduce you to the girls. He has slowed up in his old age (or Diane finally got him to stay on his side of the parking lot).

LOWRIVER2
04-03-2002, 12:27 PM
Thanks BBtahiti and Brian,
I've got my logs/valve covers/scoop and ski pylon at Al's now. A true gentleman and his work is tops. I got to find out why he has the porsche stuff and he said he just got a bunch of porsche wheel orders based on one happy customer in Utah. I went in quietly and dropped the stuff off when he asked, did you find out about me from a boat guy on the internet? I told him yes and asked him when is his slow time of year. He said there is'nt one/ I can see why, his stuff is top notch.
Thanks again,
Gary

nastyhabit
04-03-2002, 06:38 PM
what does every body work by harveys im off miller and miraloma and drove nasty in the lake one night--nasty

Kwicherbichen
04-04-2002, 11:49 PM
OK, I get the Harvey's thing now. Shit I drove right past it and didn't even pay attention. I guess I had the wrong "P" radar on (it was set for polish)
Hey Gary, I totally forgot you wanted your stuff done too. Oh well, you found the thread. Have fun at the races this weekend. I heard your helping a guy with a freshly dyno'd engine?
Brian
[This message has been edited by Kwicherbichen (edited April 15, 2002).]

LOWRIVER2
04-05-2002, 05:01 AM
Hey Brian,
I read the thread and started pulling everything I could off since the boat's going back next weekend. I'll probably bring the the place diverter and foot throttle at a later date as I ran out of time this week. I sure can see the urge to get all the alum. looking good once you start.
That tourney's coming up, will email the date on Mon. or call me
Gary

Kwicherbichen
04-06-2002, 12:11 AM
I got my tix the other day.
I also will be returning to AL's with some other things. I wanted to make sure I got the "hard to remove" parts first, then I will go back with a few more items.
Brian

RiverDave2
04-06-2002, 12:53 AM
Clear Powder Coat? I've never heard of that before.. I know alot of times things will have "slang" names etc..
Is it a true Powder Coat? Is the clear cheaper then other colors?
RD

LeadFootTheRabbit
04-06-2002, 08:06 AM
Good info here. Thanks. How big an item are they able to polish and clear coat? How about an aluminum sand rail frame. Do they have a web site?
Thanks again LDFTRBT

BBTAHITI
04-06-2002, 08:26 AM
To answer a few questions:
Clear powder coat is the same price as colors (although it goes on "white" and turns clear as it cures).
Al's oven is about 4x4x3. The only thing he has not been able to fit in the oven is my 9" rearend (about 56" wide). everything else has fit. Bowls should be no problem either.
Al doesn't have a website and I've mentioned this to him before. I guess it all goes back to Al's mantra.....he's too busy with the work he has. I'd build the site for him, but that would mean he would have to expand, would get even BUSIER and that's just not Al. If anyone is in the Anaheim area and would like to see Al's work, you can check out what he's done for me, or just stop by his shop. There are people you deal with year after year, and Al is one of them. I've known him for over 16 years and wouldn't consider sending my polishing or powder coating to anyone else. BTW, Al also does chrome alloys (that's how I met him).
Sorry for the spam.
BBT

LOWRIVER2
04-06-2002, 09:46 PM
BBtahiti knows this for sure but Al was one of the original employees on the Schiley heart valve, He learned his polising on these devices and told me a thumbnail scratch worth of how detailed these pieces were. Al likes having a small shop to control quality and have less stress with fewer employees, something we all benefit from for sure. This was a super reference, thanks again guys.

Kwicherbichen
04-15-2002, 04:31 AM
Got my manifold, water inlet, and bell housing back from Al's and it all looks fantastic. Can't wait to take my other stuff in.
Thanks BBTahiti

LOWRIVER2
04-15-2002, 06:21 AM
I got my stuff from Al Wed., saw your manifold KB, looked great. I'm real happy with my stuff, put it on the water Sat. and was great just wiping water off and not polishing it.