PDA

View Full Version : Vegas: Kurt and Kyle!

Backfire
03-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Last year's Nextel champion and his nineteen-year old brother, who was Busch runner-up and rookie-of-the-year in 2004 have been piling up impressive stats again this year.Las Vegas natives Kyle and Kurt Busch finished second and third behind Jimmie Johnson in front of their hometown crowd today. After finishing third (behind Kyle) Kurt told the cameras that brotherly driving advice would stop, since it apparently is no longer necessary.
I had the chance to meet Kurt and Kyle in 1999 when they brought their Legends cars to Havasu speedway several times. My son Nick was the speedway's webmaster, and was in awe of 13-year-old Kyle, who was just a couple of years older than Nick. Havasu Speedway promoter Al Blums would always tell me that Nick would be the next Bill Gates, so I really didn't give it much serious thought when he said that both Kurt and Kyle would one day be household words in NASCAR.
Al eventually was run outta town after the track went bust. Kurt and Kyle ARE the NASCAR stars Al had predicted, and Nick? Uncertain about Al's prediction about Nick.... Only time will tell!

racecar.hotshoe
03-13-2005, 08:05 PM
I wouldnt go spreading Al Blums name around He burnt alot of people in Blythe!...............Bad deal..

Backfire
03-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Yeah, Al was a scoundrel....His plans for Havasu speedway required full attendance and it didn't happen that way. Instead of being honest and admitting that he couldn't pay prize money without a front gate, he would continually allow the show to proceed and hope the stands would fill (which they didn't) This made a lot of self-funded drivers who came to race for the prize money, VERY angry (which it should have)
In the end nobody wanted to assume a money-losing venture and the local racers now go to Blythe or Vegas to race. Havasu Speedway mostly hosts rodeos now!

DUNDUN
03-13-2005, 08:33 PM
the race today was really good, congrats to kyle on the 2nd.
it was good, lots of lead changes, dale jr. finished 42nd, jeff gordon got a top 5, hendrick 1st and 2nd....happy day.

Dusty Times
03-13-2005, 09:49 PM
The race was great!
The drive out of LVMS SUUUUCKED! :cry: