PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Bullets on a Magic Cat

Reaper1
03-13-2005, 09:10 PM
I installed a set of Gibson Bullets on my 28' Magic this weekend. Yes, they clear the swim step! No, they don't clear the aqua ladder. I took off the ladder and put on the mufflers. Aaron @ Absolute is going to relocate my Aqua Step. It only needs to be moved over a couple inches for proper clearance. This morning I went over to everybodies favorite Havasu Marina and had one of the grey haired gentlemen test her out. When I fired her up I thought someone was playing a joke on me. No longer did my HP500 sound like a rumbling beast. It sounded like a souped up golf cart, the sound was significantly decreased. She passed with flying colors, 84db. Went out on the lake to see if there was a loss of RPM. 80 mph @ 5100rpm, same as always. You could even hear the stereo good while underway. I'm not happy about doing this to my boat, but if it keeps me from getting hassled by the man I guess it's worth it. Boats aren't meant to be quiet, unless they are electric. By the way - The weather was friggin awesome! 90 on Saturday.
Here's some pics I took with my camera phone.
Out Cole'd - Where ya at? :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/97muff3.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/97muff1.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/97muff2.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/97muff4.jpg

6 Dollar Boat
03-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Are those the clamp-ons?
I like the personal plate :)

Indiansprings
03-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Cant beat them for the price. A lot less noise.

OutCole'd
03-14-2005, 06:03 AM
Hey, that is great news. I would have never guessed that they would have cleared the swim step.
I am going to look at my boat Tuesday, I hope they clear my ladder, but I dought it. Sounds like it is no big deal to move though.
Thanks for doing this. Finally we have something that will work.

Reaper1
03-14-2005, 07:23 AM
6 Dolla - Yes, these are the clamp ons. Where's my Pegged DVD? ;)
Indian Springs - A lot less noise, almost too much. :cry:
Out Cole'd - I was actually surprised they fit when I first put them up there. About a 1/4" or so to spare. Aaron said no problem to move the aqua ladder. Hope this helps some Magic owners that were wondering. :mix:

OutCole'd
03-14-2005, 07:26 AM
I like that, rubber flappers & all.

Reaper1
03-14-2005, 07:30 AM
In the Gibson instructions it says to re-install the rubber flappers as to not void any Mercury warranties. I also have internal flappers as well. Another nice product from Gibson. :cool:

OutCole'd
03-14-2005, 07:32 AM
In the Gibson instructions it says to re-install the rubber flappers as to not void any Mercury warranties. I also have internal flappers as well. Another nice product from Gibson. :cool:
I hate my internal flappers, there from Eddie & rattle all the time. I would like to change those out also.

Not So Fast
03-14-2005, 07:34 AM
Good news indeed, mine is of the 496 variety and I'm anxious to see the new models that Bob from Dana said would be out in a short time because they are only 4" OD so no moving of anything. As I understand they will be testing them for the blue motors also. Still waiting and seeing :idea: NSF PS you did not mention anything about water reversion so I assume everthing is cool right!

Reaper1
03-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Good news indeed, mine is of the 496 variety and I'm anxious to see the new models that Bob from Dana said would be out in a short time because they are only 4" OD so no moving of anything. As I understand they will be testing them for the blue motors also. Still waiting and seeing :idea: NSF PS you did not mention anything about water reversion so I assume everthing is cool right!
No reversion. Everything be cool. :cool:

6 Dollar Boat
03-14-2005, 08:48 AM
6 Dolla - Yes, these are the clamp ons. Where's my Pegged DVD? ;)
It's still in the dvd player at Havasu...next time you come by you can get it. Remember there are no more late fees... :D

charlyox
03-14-2005, 08:54 AM
SWEET! They actually look pretty cool.I know what I'll be getting.Great pics :)

Reaper1
03-14-2005, 09:13 AM
It's still in the dvd player at Havasu...next time you come by you can get it. Remember there are no more late fees... :D
Sweet! Just like Net Flix. :D

CJ
03-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Reaper, what was the decibal reading before the muffs? I have the 525 and like the Gibsons.

25Elmn8r
03-14-2005, 09:41 AM
I saw reaper putting on the trailer Sunday and just realized where I had seen his boat before. It is definitely quiet.
I launched at the Marina on sunday just to see what my boat came in at. It blew an 82. Gotta love the exhaust being low enough while sitting to not require muffs!

Reaper1
03-14-2005, 09:55 AM
CJ - I didn't get a reading without the muffs. I know it wouldn't have passed becasue it was a lot louder without.
25Elmn8r - I had a feeling that was you at the Marina. Sounds like you got lucky with the placement of your tail pipes. Next time throw a brutha a shocka or sumin. :wink:

OutCole'd
03-14-2005, 09:59 AM
So, Aaron, how nice was it out there? It was a perfect weekend here in Vegas.

25Elmn8r
03-14-2005, 10:09 AM
25Elmn8r - I had a feeling that was you at the Marina. Sounds like you got lucky with the placement of your tail pipes. Next time throw a brutha a shocka or sumin. :wink:
Next time fo sho! I wasn't sure it was you until I logged on this morning and saw your post.

Reaper1
03-14-2005, 11:14 AM
So, Aaron, how nice was it out there? It was a perfect weekend here in Vegas.
It was very nice!!! I wish I didn't have to do all this crap to my boat so I could have been out enjoying it. I did get to take her for a cruise past Copper Canyon and back to the Marina though. ;)