PDA

View Full Version : Kill Switch Wiring?

LHC30Victory
03-13-2005, 10:12 PM
I want to wire one emergency kill switch to operate both my motors instead of using two switches. The company instructions for the switch says I must use two switches but I am sure there is a way to wire it so it will either allow both to operate or kill both. Any ideas???

Kilrtoy
03-14-2005, 02:27 AM
of course there is .. Both my motors have one kill switch..
Call absolute and find out how

Havasu Hangin'
03-14-2005, 05:04 AM
You could probably just buy a double pole (two circuit) toggle switch and swap it out for the stock one?
:idea:

LHC30Victory
03-14-2005, 08:55 PM
You could probably just buy a double pole (two circuit) toggle switch and swap it out for the stock one?
:idea:
I don't think so, this switch is waterproofed etc. Kiler may have the right idea except real motors and wackas might be different :supp:

Havasu Hangin'
03-14-2005, 09:14 PM
I don't think so, this switch is waterproofed etc. Kiler may have the right idea except real motors and wackas might be different :supp:
If you don't want to find a double-pole (waterproof) switch, the only other way to do it would be to install diodes (to keep the ignition circuits separate).
Otherwise, when one key is on...both ignitions are lit.

LHC30Victory
03-14-2005, 10:36 PM
that's what I was thinking, that there needed to be some sort of isolator in the circuits if ya use a single pole setup. unfortunately they don't seem to make a double pole setup. still waiting to hear from the MFG on this.

Havasu Hangin'
03-15-2005, 06:26 AM
The other thing you could do is put a relay after each ignition key ($5 part). Then, use the ignition kill switch as 12+ constant to both relays. If the switch is tripped, the relays will lose 12+ constant, but the ignition circuits will still be independent.

LHC30Victory
03-15-2005, 08:38 AM
HH, thanks for the ideas, but it seems that we are making this more complex than it needs to be and in my experience that causes troubleshooting to become a headache if problems arise.

Havasu Hangin'
03-15-2005, 10:10 AM
HH, thanks for the ideas, but it seems that we are making this more complex than it needs to be...
But it's a boat, right? :messedup:
OK...I'll simplify it. Instead if 12+ constant, trigger the relays with a ground.
Problem solved! :notam:

cruser
03-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Why not put the switch in before the ignition switch(es)? Probably just one 12v source that supplies both switches.
cruser

BADBLOWN572
03-17-2005, 02:59 PM
It is an extremely simple fix. The kill switches break the ignition wire after the switches. Take out the two kill switches and splice the wires together to make both sets of wires to run to one switch. That way when the switch is off position both engines will not start and if you are running, both engines will shut down. Simple.
Here is a rough diagram on what you need to do.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1598wiring1.jpg

Dntnosht
03-26-2005, 05:45 PM
I want to wire one emergency kill switch to operate both my motors instead of using two switches. The company instructions for the switch says I must use two switches but I am sure there is a way to wire it so it will either allow both to operate or kill both. Any ideas???
whatever you do do not do what bad blown just told you as this will tie both of your ignition systems together.this will result in either key switch igniting both sets of gauges & both motors. this is simple. either do the diodes as recommended before or get a dual lanyard stop switch which is allready set up for both motors.but DO NOT TIE YOUR IGNITION WIRES TOGETHER!!!!!!!

Dntnosht
03-26-2005, 05:48 PM
It is an extremely simple fix. The kill switches break the ignition wire after the switches. Take out the two kill switches and splice the wires together to make both sets of wires to run to one switch. That way when the switch is off position both engines will not start and if you are running, both engines will shut down. Simple.
Here is a rough diagram on what you need to do.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1598wiring1.jpg
NICE ROUGH DIAGRAM THOUGH

cruser
03-27-2005, 08:06 AM
So why not put the kill switch on the common 12v supply to the ignition switches? No diodes needed, simple solution as far as I can see. What am I missing?

Havasu Hangin'
03-27-2005, 08:15 AM
So why not put the kill switch on the common 12v supply to the ignition switches? No diodes needed, simple solution as far as I can see. What am I missing?
That's too simple...we need to be more complicated than that! :D
Actually, that would work, but most two engine boats have the 12 volt circuits separate (in case one engine trips the breaker, it won't kill the other).
It would work if you ran one 12+ constant from each motor to the switch, but put a diode inline to keep the circuit from feeding each other.

shockwavebd
03-27-2005, 03:56 PM
You can buy a two motor switch....with one pull cord....call dana they have them