PDA

View Full Version : Kauai - have you been there?

MagicMtnDan
04-24-2006, 07:31 AM
Looking for the best Kauai vacation - have any recommendations?
Which part of the island is the best to stay? What hotel is the best? Any suggestions on package deals?
Anyone know what happened to the Ritz Carlton on that island? Which company owns that property now?
Thanks

HM
04-24-2006, 07:35 AM
I went there on my Honeymoon and that island is bitchen. There is a sunny side that hardly sees rain, and a rainy side that .... well you get the picture. I forget, but any decent travel agent will tell you. The rainy side is where they filmed Fantasy Island - and no, I did not play the part of Tatoo. They said I was too short.

2Driver
04-24-2006, 07:37 AM
We just book 8 days in August last night.
Been there a bunch and stayed several places. The island is very different depending on which side you go to. Good thing is you can drive the whole island in a real short time. Think nothing of going snorkeling on opposite side for the morning then head back to the other side for lunch. IMO the best of the islands by far. Pm me. I also have 3 books on Kauai that will help you a lot.

OnlyMoney
04-24-2006, 07:43 AM
Been 4 times and we have a condo in Princeville (the Princeville Hotel is the nicest on the island...made the Travel Channel's Great Hotels list early on..they offer a dinner on the beach for two..I got my ring there!!) and that's on the North side...rainy side. It rains every day for the most part on some part of the island. Although, this is where all the flooding happened. You might want to check in to the Wailea Plantation Cottages. On the "dry" side and the Westernmost Brewery is on site. Neat little town, too. Like everyone else said...it's the nicest for romantic trips...not too big and easy to get around and see everything and GORGEOUS! The Marriott is really nice. We like their pool area that's on the beach. We haven't been to many more hotels for drinks, but I'm sure they're all very nice. Have a great time.. I know you will.

HM
04-24-2006, 07:50 AM
I just remember I stayed at the Hyatt, next to the Marriot time share on the dry side. That resort is so bitchen, it was hard to leave! I actually ran into Anthony Kiedas (lead singer of Red Hot Chili Peppers) at the beach snack bar. He was also pissed for being turned down for the part of tatoo for being too short! ;)
But my point is, some of the resorts are almost too nice and a distraction.

flat broke
04-24-2006, 08:09 AM
I sent Cyclone a "book" of a PM on it when he was getting married. You might pm him and see if he still has it. My favorite island by far. The nicest resorts are in Princeville and Poipu, but either of those are on opposite ends of the island. And while it isn't a big distance to drive from one end to the other, gas costs more over there and if you're like me, you'll be doing a lot of driving. The other thing is try and make sure you plan your travel so you're not having to come through Lihue in the morning or evening commute times. They set up "contra flow" traffic lanes which can slow things down if you happen to be heading the wrong direction ;)
We stay at a timeshare at the Radision, just east/northeast of Lihue. It's out of the city between Wailua and Lihue. The nice thing is that you are halfway between each side of the island.
For dining, if you want to impress the Mrs. you gotta make some reservations at Tidepools at the Hyatt Regency in Poipu. Other good eats are at Coconuts (I believe it's in Kapaa, or just north of Wailua), Brenneke's in Poipu (not as nice of atomosphere as Gaylords, Coconuts, or Tidepools), but a nice place to have a late lunch and drinks, or a more casual dinner with a decent view. Of course you gotta hit Bubbas burgers in Kapaa or Hanalei. For good pizza, there is a nice pizza/italian joint in Koloa. Gaylords at Kilohana also has upscale dining and some damn good blackend prime rib. If you have to do the luau thing, Smiths family luau is probably the most over the top one, and its run by a local family so thats kinda cool.
Outside of that, my best suggestion is that you don't book any activities before getting to the island as you will likely pay more on the web than you would on island. Maybe make a point to do so your first day there to hit one of the many activity huts (theres one in Bubbas ;) ) and see what you'd like to do. If you're staying at a resort, they'll usually hook you up with discounts on activities if you sit through a timeshare presentation.
If you've got a full week, you'll have just about enough time to do most of the stuff most folks would want to without feeling too rushed. There are some good hikes in the grand canyon and up at the end of the road past Hanalei near the sea caves on the north east part of the island.
Snorkeling depends on the winds and swell, so check that out locally on the days you want to go. If you want to see the Napali Coast by boat, Captain Andy has the most professional deal going if you wanna run in a zodiac. If you want to do the big catamaran deal and booze cruise the whole deal (can't get as close to the shoreline) there are other options. If you opt for the zodiac full day tour, don't plan anything too crazy for that night as if you go a day where the swells are big, you'll probably be a little tired :) If you're not sure you'll get to go to Kauai again, I'd say do the Zodiac tour as it will get you up close and personal with the Napali coast and the scenery and some of the snorkeling is pretty good.
If I could just snap my fingers and be somewhere when I wanted to from time to time, Kauai would be it. I couldn't live there, but we enjoy going because the island isn't touristy like Oahu or Maui. If you've hung out on the North Shore of Oahu, imagine that vibe and multiply it by 10. Just lots of good fun to be had in variying terrain and some of the most beautiful scenery you'll find in the U.S.
If you have any questions about something you saw or were thinking about doing, don't hesitate to PM me.
Have fun,
Chris

One Particular Harbor
04-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Like the others have said, there really are two sides to the island, with most people either staying in Princeville on the North end of the island or in Poipu on the Southern end of the island. As others have said, you can from one end of the island to the other in a bit over an hour, depending on the time of day and traffic.
We have stayed at both the Princeville Resort and the Hyatt at Poipu. We have also spent a couple of nights at the Marriott, which is close to the airport at Lihue. Our personal favorite is the Hyatt, but all three resorts are very nice. I am unfamiliar with a Ritz Carlton on Kauai. The golf at the Princeville resort is outstanding, with, I believe, two world-class courses on the property. We like the Poipu area the best because the beach is outstanding, there are a number of good restaurants in the area, and a number of scuba dive operators work out of the south end of the island (calmer waters).
The past few years, we have been booking into an ocean-front condo at the Kiahuna Plantation, which is right on Poipu beach. There is more room for the kids, we have a full kitchen, and the room we have been booking is literally 30 steps from the water. Oh, and it's about $200 per night cheaper than staying at one of the resorts. That being said, the Hyatt is a beautiful property with an outstanding pool area, good spa and healthclub, day care for the kids, etc.
If you have specific questions, please feel free to PM me and I will do my best to answer.
OPH

OnlyMoney
04-24-2006, 09:10 AM
MMD, it just donned on me after reading through all these great posts that the Princeville Resort was a Four Seasons or Ritz when we first went there around '85.
Oh, and OPH.....LOVE your name!! :rollside: Now that song is in my head.

Caribbean Jet
04-24-2006, 09:56 AM
I haven't been there but if you like dirt bikes here is the link for Moto Hawaii.
My next vacation will be here.
http://motohawaii.com/adventure/

2Driver
04-24-2006, 10:09 AM
The past few years, we have been booking into an ocean-front condo at the Kiahuna Plantation, which is right on Poipu beach. There is more room for the kids, we have a full kitchen, and the room we have been booking is literally 30 steps from the water. Oh, and it's about $200 per night cheaper than staying at one of the resorts.
OPH
Ditto on that, we'll be at Kiahuna August. Stayed on both sides of Kiahuna in the past and it is the deal for sure. I rented from a private owner vs direct from the resort and got a better place for $95 less a night. Premium place and the beach out front was named U.S.'s best beach. Way out of the crowds and mass hotle scene. We like it a lot. When it's rain like cats and dogs in Princeville, it's 88 and sunny in Poipu

Ziggy
04-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Been a few times.....Poipu for more sunshine or Princeville for less sunshine.....as if it matter much since it only takes a short while to drive to either side of the island.
Not much for nightlife there if you are looking for that kinda stuff.
Have fun, take your sunscreen, zinc your nose, put on your hawian shirt, sandals with dark socks and bermuda shorts.......you'll hardly get noticed :p

pixilatedpussy
04-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Looking for the best Kauai vacation - have any recommendations?
Which part of the island is the best to stay? What hotel is the best? Any suggestions on package deals?
Anyone know what happened to the Ritz Carlton on that island? Which company owns that property now?
Thanks
Kauai is lovely! My mom is a travel agent & she knows Hawaii like no other. If you need info, she is the one to help you! :rollside:

Back To Havasu
04-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Hyatt Regency - Poipu and Princeville Resort. Both are superb, depending on which side of the island you like and whether you are a golfer (if so, try the Prince course at Princeville). Just my $.02.