PDA

View Full Version : first time in form ? about droop and temp

ANY&ALL
03-14-2005, 09:20 PM
[COLOR=Navy]I Have A 1979 Tahiti 19' 454 525hp Having Problems Getting Temp Up In Motor. Put a thermostat in the motor...only helps at idle, turned down gate valve to half of a turn. Still running 110 degrees at cruising speed. What's The Pros and cons To A Droop snoop? Already have ride plate, and jetovater. Wanting to increase top end, will it help? Will post pic. soon.

sanger rat
03-14-2005, 09:23 PM
What temp are you running? Welcome to the boards. :)

ANY&ALL
03-15-2005, 02:26 PM
started out with no thermostat, three turns on the gate valve. Boat runs 100 degrees at idle or cruising. Installed thermostat, 160 degree now motor runs at 110 at cruising speed. 160 at idle. Gate valve is down to a half of a turn.

redi4fun
03-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Get the thermostat kit from Rex marine.
Get rid of the valve.
http://www.rexmar.com/page160.html
Temp will no longer be a problem. :wink:

ANY&ALL
03-15-2005, 10:09 PM
thanks i read the specs sounds perfect to bad i didn't ask that ? two days away put to much water pressure in motor blew a gasket water in oil will pull motor tommorow order kit be back on the lake next week

Squirtcha?
03-16-2005, 07:06 AM
thanks i read the specs sounds perfect to bad i didn't ask that ? two days away put to much water pressure in motor blew a gasket water in oil will pull motor tommorow order kit be back on the lake next week
I was reading this post and thinking (regardless of how much the valve is closed) that it sounded like way too much water from the pump to the motor. Guess it was since it blew the gasket............. Depending on line/valve size, half way closed could still be way too much pressure
I don't use a thermostat, just the gate valve and Bassett T for header water. Never have any problems and temps runs 150-160 at idle, and 120-130 while underway. I've had the same boat for 8 years or so and it's never been an issue.
What's The Pros and cons To A Droop snoop? Already have ride plate, and jetovater. Wanting to increase top end, will it help? Will post pic. soon.
You won't be able to use your jetovator with a droop snoot. You'd have to either buy, or borrow a place diverter. Needless to say, this could be expensive venture to make the change (ask me how I know). The droop helps some boats, and not others (no way to tell without trying one really) unless you know someone with the exact same hull that's...........been there, done that.
Do you have pictures of your current setup?

Danhercules
03-16-2005, 08:10 AM
I also run just the gate valve. My valve is 3/4 open from the closed position. Never a problem. If I open the gate too much, i get milkshake.

Bailey
03-16-2005, 09:27 AM
Gate valves aren't good regulating valves since there soposed to be either open or closed. Even at half open your getting almost full flow.

Danhercules
03-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Gate valves aren't good regulating valves since there soposed to be either open or closed. Even at half open your getting almost full flow.
I should rephrase. I run my valve, 3/4 of a TURN from full closed.

ANY&ALL
03-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the info. It is much help. Pulled motor today, head gasket definetly bad. Ordered Rex Marine thermostat kit. I was currently running gate valve half a turn from closed position, but still had a lot of pressure. Well it's called a globe valve, that i'm running to regulate the water flow. Gate valves are only meant to be opened or closed. We live in Amador County, 45 min from sac. Run the boat all the time at Camanche Lake. Not many other boats like mine (jets/v-drives) come to this lake often....unless it is Memorial weekend. Would like to find some close lakes to run with other boats. Would like to learn more...(it's always good) Wife will get right on taking those pictures to post here. Should be up in the next couple days, hopefully by this weekend. And again thank you very much for the info...it is truly helpful.
1979 Tahiti 19' Tiger GT Hull
500Hp BBC 454 Only turning 5grand
80 hrs in Blue Printing Bottom
Berkley Pump, Stainless A Impeller
Ride Plate, Placediverter
Running between 77-82mph at 5grand (gonna get radar on it again shortly)