PDA

View Full Version : Push rod size

Hydro-Thunder
03-15-2005, 10:13 AM
Ok just checking. What is the the correct length and diameter push rod for a early 70's BBF 460. I am running the crane stamped roller tip rockers and a Edelbrck performer RPM cam. Stock d3ve heads.
Thanks Jesse

GofastRacer
03-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Ok just checking. What is the the correct length and diameter push rod for a early 70's BBF 460. I am running the crane stamped roller tip rockers and a Edelbrck performer RPM cam. Stock d3ve heads.
Thanks Jesse
70-78=5/16" 8.550" But the lenght needs to be checked after the heads are on for proper lenght to achieve proper rocker arm ratio!..

Hydro-Thunder
03-15-2005, 12:37 PM
If the rockers do not sit just right do you just get a little longer or shorter push rod or how exactly do you change lenght to achieve proper rocker arm ratio!..

GofastRacer
03-15-2005, 07:01 PM
If the rockers do not sit just right do you just get a little longer or shorter push rod or how exactly do you change lenght to achieve proper rocker arm ratio!..
There's different ways to check it, one way is take a marker and black out the valve tip, put the pushrod and rocker arm on and rotate the motor a full cycle, then take off the rocker and look at the wear mark, it should be in the center, if it's towards the top the pushrod is short and vice versa. To figure what lenght you need you will need a pushrod checker which has a an adjustable end on it!.. What I use is a tool from Manley, it's a plastic piece you slip on the rocker arm stud that has a pad that contacts the valve and pushrod, if you have the right lenght pushrod, the tool will touch both the valve stem and pushrod at the same time, if not then you use a feeler guage in between the gap to figure what lenght you need!..

Stab-n-Steer
03-18-2005, 11:29 AM
A picture is work a thousand words...Push Rod Length (http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechServ/TechInfo/IECVTTech1.html)
Hey Art, quit being an ASS!!! :wink: :D
S&S