PDA

View Full Version : LIttle League Question...

Her454
03-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Its been years since my daughter was in little league so Im not sure about this.......... This morning 98.5 radio was talking about a little league team in Woodland Calif where the umpire called a time out and reprimanded two of the players for "chanting......"hey batter batter batter, hey batter...... and told them to STOP. He said it was distracting and not allowed.
The parents in the stands had been cheering each team on and then questioned the Umpires actions. He then apparently STOPPED the game and reprimanded the parents with "he didnt want any grief from them about the decision, and if THEY didnt stop cheering the kids on that the game would be called". He said it was too distracting for the kids and was not allowed.
The talk show host told the parent to get his kid off that team immediately. I think this is crazy but one of my co workers just told me its not allowed in their league either.
WTH? Whats going on? Has little league changed that much in just a few years?
What happened to good old fashioned baseball instead of being politically correct on the field.

MRS FLYIN VEE
03-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Its been years since my daughter was in little league so Im not sure about this.......... This morning 98.5 radio was talking about a little league team in Woodland Calif where the umpire called a time out and reprimanded two of the players for "chanting......"hey batter batter batter, hey batter...... and told them to STOP. He said it was distracting and not allowed.
The parents in the stands had been cheering each team on and then questioned the Umpires actions. He then apparently STOPPED the game and reprimanded the parents with "he didnt want any grief from them about the decision, and if THEY didnt stop cheering the kids on that the game would be called". He said it was too distracting for the kids and was not allowed.
The talk show host told the parent to get his kid off that team immediately. I think this is crazy but one of my co workers just told me its not allowed in their league either.
What happened to good old fashioned baseball instead of being politically correct on the field.
while we were coaching. we were told not to let the kids chant because it was a distraction and it was bad ball playing to intaganize the other tem. but that was in tee ball. they wanted them to learn the game first .. But that was also 6 yrs ago.

Tom Brown
03-15-2005, 12:14 PM
It's still around. You can find it in the negro leagues.

WYRD
03-15-2005, 12:18 PM
while we were coaching. we were told not to let the kids chant because it was a distraction and it was bad ball playing to intaganize the other tem. but that was in tee ball. they wanted them to learn the game first .. But that was also 6 yrs ago.
My sons team is allowed to chatter but not batter. so heyy batter batter batter is ok but you cant tell him to swing. and the old saying we need a pitcher not a belly itcher is out as well. I dissagree cause I think the chatter keeps the kids involved in the game and keeps the outfielders from playing in the dirt!

Jbb
03-15-2005, 12:18 PM
It's still around. You can find it in the negro leagues.
Show em that video of you singing mammy in blackface Tom.... :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
03-15-2005, 12:19 PM
My sons team is allowed to chatter but not batter. so heyy batter batter batter is ok but you cant tell him to swing. and the old saying we need a pitcher not a belly itcher is out as well. I dissagree cause I think the chatter keeps the kids involved in the game and keeps the outfielders from playing in the dirt!
that is true.. But if you also notice.. in pro ball. they are not allowed.. such as football. they are not allowed to dance or spike the ball after a touchdown.. I just don't get it anymore.. I use to like watching the pro's dance . :D

Holland
03-15-2005, 12:20 PM
I coach a a team here in Hesperia, Major division. They are allowed to chant, but not allowed to change pitch or escillation... you know... "....SWING!!!" The Umps thru kids out last year for doing that. and this is for the kids, huh... We say that alot at the league meetings...

Tom Brown
03-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Show em that video of you singing mammy in blackface Tom.... :D
That would be the rosetta stone of irony.

MRS FLYIN VEE
03-15-2005, 12:21 PM
I coach a a team here in Hesperia, Major division. They are allowed to chant, but not allowed to change pitch or escillation... you know... "....SWING!!!" The Umps thru kids out last year for doing that. and this is for the kids, huh... We say that alot at the league meetings...
wow Nice boat in your signature. :)

Her454
03-15-2005, 12:28 PM
Distracting.......high pitch....escalation....swing...........
:jawdrop: My dad is rolling over in his grave right now! :jawdrop:

Tom Brown
03-15-2005, 12:31 PM
:jawdrop: My dad is rolling over in his grave right now! :jawdrop:
If he is undead, it would be a nice gesture to exhume him.

Not So Fast
03-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Fifteen years of coaching my sons thru big league and some high school. the intent of the rule in L.L.B. I believe was it did not show good sportmanship (taunting) and way back then it was not tolerated, you could root for your own team and that was it. Probably a good thing because as they got older things diminsihed so badly that in one big league game we had an all out battle between the teams, El toro vs Placentia I think and some of the guys got hurt.
Have you ever attended a college baseball game, it gets down right rude with the dugouts going back and forth at each other and some of the things that are said are very mean hearted. it really takes away from the spirit of the game. I'm competive as hell but talking about someones family is well, just wrong! My $.02 NSF

HCS
03-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Personally I like to get in fist fights with the other teams parents after the game.
It does alot more for me.

Tom Brown
03-15-2005, 12:40 PM
If the kids want to talk smack, they can always come onto the ***boat forums.

bullseye
03-15-2005, 01:10 PM
all i remember was that you were not aloud to say the batters name , but there was no problem with hey batter , they must think kids have thin skin these days

JetBoatRich
03-15-2005, 01:19 PM
If the kids want to talk smack, they can always come onto the ***boat forums.
You will set them straight :jawdrop: won't you Tom

1stepcloser
03-15-2005, 01:28 PM
I remember when I was 7 and in little league. All the other teams' players' would yell at me when I was trying to hit the ball. :( I blame them for my insecurities of adulthood.
Too bad society wasnt there to protect me in my youth.

HCS
03-15-2005, 01:45 PM
It's not a good idea to chant hey batter anyway. One of the kids might pull out a gun and shot someone.

Holland
03-15-2005, 03:38 PM
wow Nice boat in your signature. :)
Thanks!!!! Just picked it up! I lucked out... My Caliber 1 sold 2 weeks before I picked this one up last weekend!!!!!
Thanks again. Bob

Holland
03-15-2005, 03:39 PM
and after reading the other posts, It definately did NOT bear the name "My little Friend." I have kids too and extremely empathize with the parents...

pixilatedpussy
03-15-2005, 03:48 PM
MY boys play LL and they are not allowed to chant either!! I think its a little weird, considering when I was little, we were supposed to act alive and if we were not chanting, we were not paying attention. LL is about teaching, so Im assuming it was not only distracting, but considered poor sportsmanship. At our last game for my older son, the ump stopped the game because the other coach was bitching about our pitcher being off the pitching plate!!WTF!!! He is 9!!! We are supposed to be teching not pshycing some kid out!! EVERY SINGLE PITCH!!! I think sometimes parents get too crazy, oh boy did we nickle and dime that team right back. How sad it had to come to that, but after that team bitched for 20+ minutes, they shot themselves in the foot!!! We won they lost, and they very possibly could have beat us if they got tobat again... but the time ran out!! TOO BAD SOO SAD!!

pixilatedpussy
03-15-2005, 03:49 PM
:D YEP!As a vetran of many travel teams concerning my son I can make it real easy for you: "The parents have screwed everything up" Simple as that. Let the kids play friggin' ball. Not you Her454 but for most parents out there "IT IS FRIGGIN' LL and YOUR KID IS NOT THE NEXT BARRY BONDS!"
YEP!! :D

Not So Fast
03-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Personally I like to get in fist fights with the other teams parents after the game.
It does alot more for me.
sounds like a Raider fan to me!!! NSF