PDA

View Full Version : New to Outboards, have a ?.

Aqua Boogie1
03-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Hey fellow blender drivers, I have a question for you guys. I just sold my Jet and got a cherry 18'6 73 kona outboard, original 150 merc. The only problem with this boat that the motor goes but not backards. When I try to go back, all you hear is the gear missing. Now my ? is, what is that, how hard to replace myself or what does it usually cost to replace?
Thanx Doug

Wakker
03-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Before you tear into it and replace anything, make sure the shift cable is adjusted right. This may not be your problem, but its worth a shot...

Aqua Boogie1
03-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Will do that..................also when I put in gear to go forward, I go just over have way on the handle before I get anything from the motor, so could that also be a loose cable?

Wakker
03-15-2005, 11:54 PM
Will do that..................also when I put in gear to go forward, I go just over have way on the handle before I get anything from the motor, so could that also be a loose cable?Possibly. You should be able to feel a pretty "positive" spot for forward, neutral, reverse...

Aqua Boogie1
03-16-2005, 08:07 AM
Possibly. You should be able to feel a pretty "positive" spot for forward, neutral, reverse...
Thanx...................I'll check it all.

STV_Keith
03-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Yep, sounds like a mis-adjusted cable. If it goes into FWD, just forward of Neutral, then you adjustment won't allow you to get to REV.

Aqua Boogie1
03-16-2005, 11:54 AM
Yep, sounds like a mis-adjusted cable. If it goes into FWD, just forward of Neutral, then you adjustment won't allow you to get to REV.
Ok..................Let me explain a little better. Starts fine, idles good. Now when I push the handle fwd, ( say from 0 degrees neutral to 90 degress fwd is all the way down). When I push fwd, I get no response until Im about 60-70 degress fwd. Now I would think the cable needs to be adjusted but when I go from neutral into rev, engine revs very little and you can hear the gear grinding or as if its just bearly touching the gear. But defintly hear the gears hitting each other. I hope that better...................Sorry guys, new to outboards.
Doug

Clown Midgets
03-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Drain the lower unit. Look at the lower plug, there should be a magnet at the end of the plug. If the gears are junk there will be metal all over it and in the oil, a little very fine metal/dust is ok. If there is no metal I would say the linkage out of wack is a good bet. If there ios metal :cry:

Aqua Boogie1
03-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Drain the lower unit. Look at the lower plug, there should be a magnet at the end of the plug. If the gears are junk there will be metal all over it and in the oil, a little very fine metal/dust is ok. If there is no metal I would say the linkage out of wack is a good bet. If there ios metal :cry:
Great, I'll try that.............Thanxs!!! :cool:

Tom Brown
03-16-2005, 10:39 PM
It can also be a missing top bushing where the shift shaft goes through the engine pan. If that bushing is missing like it is on mine, the top of the shift shaft will have quite a bit of play and that will soak up your shifter travel, instead of putting it into reverse.
I know a couple of engines that have this problem, including mine. I haven't bothered fixing it. I just use forward. :D

TUNNEL T
03-20-2005, 08:10 PM
i do know of this place you could take your boat ,close to your home boatmasters2 in dublin , oh did i say i also work there ! does sound like cable adjustment though! TUNNEL T :boxed:

Aqua Boogie1
03-21-2005, 03:39 PM
I know where your at exactly, I see your place or aleast your sign from the freeway. I will see you soon Tunnel T!!!!! :D

tamalewagon
03-28-2005, 04:24 PM
My first engine had that problem...my suggestion is to 86 the hand setup and put in a foot throttle. Can't remember Aquaboogie, was your jet a blue on blue with a little white trim? I thought I saw your rig in ***boat a few years back...

Aqua Boogie1
03-28-2005, 06:18 PM
You know TW, I thought about that, the foot peddle. Actually Im still thinking about that............... My jet was tan with root beer sparkle paint.

racer
03-28-2005, 07:11 PM
If it has the original 73 control box it has a set of cams that when worn limit the amount of cable travel. Post a photo of the box and measure your cable travel.

Aqua Boogie1
04-06-2005, 01:17 PM
i do know of this place you could take your boat ,close to your home boatmasters2 in dublin , oh did i say i also work there ! does sound like cable adjustment though! TUNNEL T :boxed:
Hey Tunnel T, I made a appt. to bring the boat in on April 18th. See you guys then........... :D