PDA

View Full Version : Handgun for my wife.....questions

PHX ATC
03-15-2005, 06:50 PM
I've been threatening to do this for years and am finally going to accomplish my task since we're moving further out of town with no neighbors (for awhile anyway) within 1000 feet or so on one side and nothing but farmland on the other for miles.
I want to get a handgun that my wife will be able to handle. That is the foremost concern. She's not exactly tall, maybe 5'4", so something that her smaller hands (no Seinfeld man hands here :wink: ) would be able to comfortably handle while popping off a few rounds.
This would obviously be used for home protection and not really have a need to carry it with her, although on long trips it would come along. We do have an 8 year old daughter who has been well versed so far in guns and safety along with them...although it's shotguns and rifles, not handguns.
So, any models, manufacturers, types, calibers, etc of handguns that the ladies might have or the guys might recommend?
Any tips (no offense will be taken) on the continuing education of my 8 year old daughter on handguns?
Thanks.
Toby

Flying Tiger
03-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Slim automatics are great if kids will be around.
It's hard for kids to shift them into gear and discharge compaired to revolvers.
Consider a 7 shot slim 9mm auto.
Not a lot of kick, compact, slim handle, light ,, nice.

Jordy
03-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Not to disagree with TPC/aka FT, but the best thing you can do for a woman is a revolver, aside from a pump action 12 gauge. The tendency for a ladie to limp wrist an auto are very high, especially at a time of need. Lady Smith made some really nice .357/.38 revolvers, I believe even hammerless too that you just point and pull the trigger. Even if the round misfires, they're double action, so you just pull the trigger again and hit on a fresh cylinder. That was one of the things that was talked about over and over in the ccw class I took years ago, not to mention at pretty much every gun shop I've ever been in when a guy was looking for something for his wife.
As far as the daughter part, getting her involved and taking the mystery out of it is the best thing you can do. If you try and make it a secret, they want to know about it even more. Take her out and let her shoot it. Tell her all about it and make no qualms about the seriousness of it. ;)
Just my $.02 :D

all charged up
03-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Colt makes a beautiful .380 Mustang. Little semi looks like a baby .45.

Kilrtoy
03-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Shit this is easy, You live in AZ get what my wife wants and cant have here in cali.
SEMI -AUTO BENELLI Shotgun.....
This is simple and bad ass, and takes little to no aim for beginners....
Otherwise a 9mm beretta cougar reliable, has an external safety and low kick

cdog
03-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Go with a 380 beretta. Great gun, user friendly and the wife won't be too intimitaded by it. They have a 88% kill rate with one round. Good enough!

78Anthonyjet
03-15-2005, 08:46 PM
My wife is about 5'2", 1something, and likes my S&W 4006, 40 cal. It's got some kick, put you on your a$$ if you get hit by it, sub sonic round so you stay shot. Fits her hand nicely ( she has small hands ). She has a Rossi 5 shot .38, loaded with hallow points, she likes it a lot. SIG makes a semi auto
.357 that is nice. Best thing to do is take her to a gun store and have her find a gun that feels good to her. I agree with KILRTOY that the shotgun is great, but might knock her on her backide. Just my opinion, good luck.
Norm

77charger
03-15-2005, 08:59 PM
going to have to say a revolver in .357 mag.4 inch barrel
reasons
.357 is one of the highest one shot kill ratios
small handle good for small hands too
can use .38 special for training and fun shooting
no real jams to worry about no fire pull trigger again
easy to use
and in the right hands just as deadly as an auto(experience wins not the bling factor of a gun)
Many will say auto is the way to go but if you are not that experienced in firearms you might lack the proper cleaning skills need for an auto,what to do if you are in a panic mode and it jams,etc ever hear oil the slide or die??
I myself shoot an auto colt commander in .45acp been shooting it for years

EXTREMEBOATS
03-15-2005, 09:30 PM
I am 5'6" 120lbs. My favorite gun to carry is a Taurus .22 9 shot pistol revolver ultralight short nose. It's light, easy to conceal and with a little practice very accurate. :D With nine shots if you can't kill 'em you can out run 'em! Kristina

MudPumper
03-15-2005, 09:36 PM
Not to disagree with TPC/aka FT, but the best thing you can do for a woman is a revolver, aside from a pump action 12 gauge. The tendency for a ladie to limp wrist an auto are very high, especially at a time of need. Lady Smith made some really nice .357/.38 revolvers, I believe even hammerless too that you just point and pull the trigger. Even if the round misfires, they're double action, so you just pull the trigger again and hit on a fresh cylinder. That was one of the things that was talked about over and over in the ccw class I took years ago, not to mention at pretty much every gun shop I've ever been in when a guy was looking for something for his wife.
Just my $.02 :D
What Jordy said. A revolver is the best 1st gun for a woman for the reasons stated above. Don't have to worry about magazines, working the slide, limp wristing etc...... Just point and shoot. After she becomes proficient with the revolver, then you can think about moving up to a semi or something else.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-15-2005, 09:55 PM
I have a 38 double action 5 shot and I love it. I am 5'2" 120#. It has no kick and a blast to shoot. Take her down to the gun store and let her feel them all up :supp:

Kilrtoy
03-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Ok womans view
Wife is 5-3 120
she has a glock 27 .40 cal
can handle a AR-15 as well as I
Wants a benalli semi auto Shot gun
5 rounds 6 rounds, is just not enough...
Everyone talks about a little practice..
Has anyone every fired a weapon at another human being with the intent to stop an oncoming threat......
Most gun battles happen within 3 feet and the miss ratio is extremely high well above 60 plus percent....

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-15-2005, 10:28 PM
Kilr, your wife is more experienced with guns. I understand what you're saying about the accuracy, you are right. But I also think it's important for her to not be afraid of the gun. She can always move up. I am more comfortable with the other guns, now that I have gained experience with that little .38 I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to look at it from the perspective of someone who is not used to, or comfortable firing handguns.
The first time I shot a 9mm, I had a guy tell me that it didn't have much of a kick at all. Well, it was a surprise after my gun. It had a lot more. Scared the crap out of me the first time it fired.

Indiansprings
03-15-2005, 10:31 PM
:cool: .45 :D
Just to be sure she can..... "Get her done"

Kilrtoy
03-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Kilr, your wife is more experienced with guns. I understand what you're saying about the accuracy, you are right. But I also think it's important for her to not be afraid of the gun. She can always move up. I am more comfortable with the other guns, now that I have gained experience with that little .38 I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to look at it from the perspective of someone who is not used to, or comfortable firing handguns.
The first time I shot a 9mm, I had a guy tell me that it didn't have much of a kick at all. Well, it was a surprise after my gun. It had a lot more. Scared the crap out of me the first time it fired.
I understand what you are saying, BUT if you are SCARED of the weapon or a weapon, you dont need to be messing with it, you will hurt yourself...
Now my 38 is the smallest in the arsenal. Granted it kicks like a rodeo bull with his nuts tied... I know , I know, its a 2" with some serious rounds in it......

Shock21
03-15-2005, 10:53 PM
You might consider a S&W hammerless AirLite. Very light, definately send her to a safety course.

Bense468
03-15-2005, 11:01 PM
I agree with Charger and Jordy.
If you are only concerned with home protection the pump 12 guage with 2 slugs in in then 1 bird shot followed by more slugs is the way to go in my opinion. I don't care what anyone says, if its in your house and you know their is a threat, shoot to kill (thats what the 2 slugs are for) then shoot the bird shot in the wall ; ). When they come to your house say you shot to warn (birdshot) then you shot to stop you were afraid for your life.
If a hand gun is what you are looking for. I would agree with the 357 mag. Load it up with 357's for home. Take it out shooting with 38 specials, and practice every once in a while with 357 rds because there is a difference. 4" barrel is all ya need, and like said before you have a misfire pull the trigger again and don't worry about clearing. I would recommend a stainless gun, because for one they are easier to take care of and add a little weight to help with control. You need to shoot with a stiff wrist with semi autos or you stove pipe it. Happens a lot with girls.
LEARN, KNOW, RESPECT, and PRACTICE with your gun. Shoot with your daughter and she will learn to respect it.

repo man
03-15-2005, 11:01 PM
ruger .480 :devil:

dean51267
03-16-2005, 05:02 AM
Ruger SP101, in a .357, short barrel.
Buy/load watered down 38 rounds to practice with, let her practice a LOT, then keep some wicked loads in the chamber when not target practicing.
When practicing she will feel little recoil and will not learn to fear it, and then the pressure is on and she needs ti to stop someone, she will not feel the kick then either.
Other than that a 12 guarge wirls well, I like a double barrel if the wife is gonna freak under pressure............

mtndewdrops
03-16-2005, 06:07 AM
Dang, some tuff women on the boards...don't shoot! :smile:
I agree with Jordy. The best home protection is a shotgun, the small semi autos are scary, I agree about the revolver, but if you miss to many times your screwed.

ahhell
03-16-2005, 06:23 AM
The wifey like her Taurus .38, its a hammerless 5 shot...lite enuf to aim, heavy enuf to help with kick. tapered handle for small hands ( i can can only get 2 fingers on the grip)
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1518116_1614-med.JPG

Essex29
03-16-2005, 06:23 AM
Just a thought, but is she ready to shoot someone if she had to?
....gun's are great, just not for show.

It's all Good
03-16-2005, 10:25 AM
If you are still interested in the semi-automatic pistol for your wife, I'd receommend a Sig P225. It is a single stack 9mm, holds 8 in the magazine. Loaded with Rangers it is a great combination. I bought one for my wife last year. It isn't on Sig's home page, but it is readily available.

LOWRIVER2
03-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Bennelli M1's / M3's ARE legal for sale in Ca.
For sale now at LAPD academy.
I might be selling a Benelli M3 (would rather trade for M1). I have all kinds of Botach extras for the M1 so would be better for me.

Racer277
03-16-2005, 11:17 AM
I agree with the revolver as best.
If you are looking for an auto, see if they still sell Sig P230's. These were (are) fine little guns.
My .02

mirvin
03-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Here's a thought.....if you get her something and she's into it she gonna want to carry it.....especially if she can legally. So you may as well get something she can stuff in her purse on a regular basis.
mirvin