PDA

View Full Version : iPod help

Nubbs
03-15-2005, 08:26 PM
I just got an iPod last night. I loaded the itunes software onto my home computer and uploaded some songs to my iPod. This morning at work, I also loaded the itunes software onto my work computer and uploaded a bunch of songs to my iPod. When I got home from work, I tried to upload some more songs from my home computer to my iPod. However, when I connected my iPod to my home computer, I got a message saying my iPod is linked to a different song library. I could choose to replace the songs on the iPod with the songs on my home computer, or I could leave it alone. Well, I chose to leave it alone instead of erasing all the songs I uploaded at work. So, my question is, can I upload songs from multiple computers to my iPod? How? Or, is there a way I can combine the song libraries from the 2 computers?
Thanks
Nubbs

EliminatorJet
03-15-2005, 08:35 PM
I haven't had this problem myself, but you might want to try changing the option of having your iPod automatically update when connected to the computer.
You can do this by hooking up the iPod to the computer it is currently working with, loading itunes, and in the lower right hand corner of itunes there should be an ipod shaped icon. When you click on this, there should be an option to turn off automatic updating.
I think you were getting that error message to prevent you from plugging into another library and accidently deleting a bunch of songs.

Perfect Mixer
03-15-2005, 08:45 PM
There is software out there that you can "liberate" your music from your iPod to another computer, but it has to stay "linked" to only one library. It's kind of a pain when you load music on both home and work computers, I can tell you that for sure. But, it does work. PM me if you still need help.

Nubbs
03-15-2005, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the replys. I'll try the other forum and I'll switch the setting tomorrow morning at work. If that don't work, I'll be sending a pm to you PM.
Thanks

MAINEVENT
03-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Go here and ask the ? and you should get a quick answer:
http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?threadid=31503
Damn bro this site is saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :supp:

phebus
03-15-2005, 10:27 PM
When I hook my iPod to a given computer, it will either load or unload to whatever is on that computers playlist. Integrating of playlists would be cool, but I don't know how it's done either, and have the same exact problem as you.

moneypit
03-15-2005, 10:58 PM
I have heard some cool stuff about the Ipod.. How do they function with a car or boat radio? How do they link? Or can they? I remember external CD players. You have to use a cassette type delio....

Bense468
03-15-2005, 11:13 PM
I have heard some cool stuff about the Ipod.. How do they function with a car or boat radio? How do they link? Or can they? I remember external CD players. You have to use a cassette type delio....
They make an FM transmitter. Its like 35 bucks

SDLifesaver
03-16-2005, 06:11 AM
iPod is the best thing since sliced bread. You can have 2 music libraries but your iPod will only recognize 1. That is how Apple protects itself from everybody file sharing. Just use 1 computer as overal song storage, burn a disc of the other music you have and upload it to the computer with the library. Good luck

phebus
03-16-2005, 07:12 AM
iPod is the best thing since sliced bread. You can have 2 music libraries but your iPod will only recognize 1. That is how Apple protects itself from everybody file sharing. Just use 1 computer as overal song storage, burn a disc of the other music you have and upload it to the computer with the library. Good luck
For the computer challenged, when you burn MP3 onto a CD, does a regular CD-R work, and about how many songs could be transferred on one CD.
I have my downloads on two different computers, and would like to combine them.

CJ
03-16-2005, 07:33 AM
For the computer challenged, when you burn MP3 onto a CD, does a regular CD-R work, and about how many songs could be transferred on one CD.
I have my downloads on two different computers, and would like to combine them.
A regular MP3 can be loaded on to a CD-R. And should be able to be played on any CD player that is MP3 ready. As many MP3's as you can load on the CD could be played on your player. If an average MP3 were 5MB, that would be 150 or so on a regular CD.

phebus
03-16-2005, 07:48 AM
I think Alpine has a new line of decks that link to an IPOD without the chitty FM adapter.
Why anyone would risk taking their IPOD in their boat, I'm not sure. You can chose from probably 500 different CD players that will play mp3s. Just burn your library to CD-Rs. I think each CD-R will hold around 100 songs at 192 bitrate. I have a Sony CD player and 10 Disc changer that will both play mp3 discs. .10 for a blank disc, no worries about someone stealing your IPOD, it getting broken/wet or somebody stealing your discs.
The versatility of my iPod is why I want it on the boat.
With the gazillion songs it holds, and the versatility to make different playlists on the spot, choose artists, choose albums, choose songs, and do this all randomly and seamlessly is awesome. The more I use my ipod, the more I love it.
Besides, you say why bring it on the boat, I have no concerns of it getting wet anymore then I have concerns of my 12 disc cd changer getting wet, or of someone stealing my stereo compononents or CD collection.
The ease of operation and options of play are awesome.

Krumbsnatcher
03-16-2005, 08:09 AM
There is an option under Itunes to turn off synchronizing, click it off and it will act independent of the computer. You should now be able to upload songs without affecting your current playlists.

SDLifesaver
03-16-2005, 08:15 AM
We take the ipod everywhere. Especially the boat. We even got two boats close enough the fm transmitter will work on both stereos. One obviously sounds a little clearer but it works. Phebus, to answer your question about how many songs on a CDR it will fir 80 mins of music each. That's about 16 to 22 songs depending on their length. Never had any issues with the ipod getting wet. My wife bought me that skin to protect it. Works great and does not let it contact anything but your fingers.

phebus
03-16-2005, 08:28 AM
I was reluctant to purchase an iPod, when I already had the Head Unit, XM Radio, and a 12 disc CD Changer on the boat, but by far, the Ipod will be used the most due to it's versatility.
I don't want to lose audo quality, so I am not planning on using the FM modulator, and I'm working with Roz to get the required hardware to hard wire it in.

phebus
03-16-2005, 08:35 AM
There is an option under Itunes to turn off synchronizing, click it off and it will act independent of the computer. You should now be able to upload songs without affecting your current playlists.
If someone could tell me where to find this option, I would appreciate it. I can't find it.

ROZ
03-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Love my IPOD..... Skiing Sunday blaring DK,Linkon park, Everclear, and Motley crue made it much more fun takin the sticks to the halfpipe and Geronimo.. Too bad the battery only lasted 6 hours... Maybe I'll keep the volume down to conserve battery next time.....

Charley
03-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Love my IPOD..... Skiing Sunday blaring DK,Linkon park, Everclear, and Motley crue made it much more fun takin the sticks to the halfpipe and Geronimo.. Too bad the battery only lasted 6 hours... Maybe I'll keep the volume down to conserve battery next time.....
so funny.... i just found an old copy of fresh fruit for rotting vegetables buried in my desk last night and was thinkin I need that on my IPOD!
small world roz ;)

phebus
03-16-2005, 11:24 AM
The biggest down side of an iPod is that if you are allready a ***boat addict, and then you get an iPod and start loading music (another addiction), you wil never get off the friggin computer.
I need help, is there a Betty Ford clinic for ***boat addiction? The first step is admitting I have a problem. :crossx:

Essex29
03-16-2005, 11:39 AM
The biggest down side of an iPod is that if you are allready a ***boat addict, and then you get an iPod and start loading music (another addiction), you wil never get off the friggin computer.
I need help, is there a Betty Ford clinic for ***boat addiction? The first step is admitting I have a problem. :crossx:
not if you share with friends...
I have a ton of music I can burn you a disc and you could load it up...no downloading.

intense
03-16-2005, 11:56 AM
We need to start sharing music, what format is everyone using with their IPOD?

ROZ
03-16-2005, 12:25 PM
so funny.... i just found an old copy of fresh fruit for rotting vegetables buried in my desk last night and was thinkin I need that on my IPOD!
small world roz ;)
Yea.. I was singing Looking foward to death a little too loudly(headset volume was loud), and the kids were looking at me like I was nutz.... :D So I gave them a headstart, waited until they were about halfway down, then I went straight down the second part of Geronimo with 1 turn... The snow was slow and sticky, so it wasn't as fast as it could have been :D

ROZ
03-16-2005, 12:26 PM
That could be illegal.... :crossx:

phebus
03-16-2005, 12:29 PM
I use the format- put cd in computer, it puts it in itunes, plug in iPod, downloads to iPod
I don't know the technical stuff!!, I'm lucky just to get it to work :D :D

intense
03-16-2005, 01:14 PM
That could be illegal.... :crossx:
Who's going to tell?
:D :eat:

Nubbs
03-16-2005, 11:43 PM
I haven't had this problem myself, but you might want to try changing the option of having your iPod automatically update when connected to the computer.
You can do this by hooking up the iPod to the computer it is currently working with, loading itunes, and in the lower right hand corner of itunes there should be an ipod shaped icon. When you click on this, there should be an option to turn off automatic updating.
I think you were getting that error message to prevent you from plugging into another library and accidently deleting a bunch of songs.
I switched the setting and now I can load songs from my work computer and my home computer. Thanks for the tips.
Nubbs