PDA

View Full Version : Custom Built Sub Boxes For Jl Subs

BADASS38CHEVY
03-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Can anyone give me a price on 2 separate custom built sub boxes for the jl audio 13w6s,I want the speakers slot loaded.Will they be fiberglass or wood boxes? which is better fiberglass or wood ?

BoatFloating
03-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Can anyone give me a price on 2 separate custom built sub boxes for the jl audio 13w6s,I want the speakers slot loaded.Will they be fiberglass or wood boxes? which is better fiberglass or wood ?
In a boat fiberglassed wood outside. I would say a could price on 1 would be $75 maybe less... It need to be 3/4" to hold those W6's

ROZ
03-16-2005, 09:39 AM
In a boat fiberglassed wood outside. I would say a could price on 1 would be $75 maybe less... It need to be 3/4" to hold those W6's
That's waaaay cheap... I'd say at the least 180.00.....All fiberglass would range from 250(very basic)- on up depending on how custom and where is needs to go....
How much did Transonic quote?

riverbound
03-16-2005, 09:57 AM
I would agree with ROZ. If you want to get a more accurate price. You can call Dave or Darren at AL&Eds give them the dimensions and size you are looking for and they will get you taken care of. They also discount alot of their stuff for ***boaters. (909)481-8411

BoatFloating
03-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Boy no wonder I don't buy anything from you guys.:messedup: :) Hell it's only wood and fiberglassed over the wood then carpet it. If your talking a total custom intergrated box then yes it would be more. I misread and thought he's just looking for a generic box..... ;)

riverbound
03-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Wood 2 sheets = $60
Fiberglass resin (1gal)= $30
Carpet 2 yards= $30
Nails/staples=$5
Nail/staple gun=$350
Razor knife=$5
razor blades=$.10
Compressor=$799
Jigsaw=$249
Table saw=$899
Glue for carpet= $7
labor aprroximately 4-5 hours
There is more that goes in to building this stuff then just some wood and fiberglass.

ROZ
03-16-2005, 03:01 PM
You forgot Fleece, fiberglass matt, sanding materials, bondo, and paint or vinyl.... :D

BoatFloating
03-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Again a custom enclosure is a different deal.... I guess these guys are losing money????? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14945&item=5760047791&rd=1)

h2oski2fast
03-16-2005, 05:50 PM
That enclosure would last about a month in a boat. They are not screwed and glue, just stapled and siliconed. Also its not resined.
That is one reason I got out of the stereo biz, very few people are willing to spend the money it takes to do it right. Even at riverbound's pricing, I don't see how anyone could make a living building those.
BTW: riverbound, I was flying the shocker (from a house) just down river from the entrance to the keys when idled by on sat.

BADASS38CHEVY
03-16-2005, 06:20 PM
That's waaaay cheap... I'd say at the least 180.00.....All fiberglass would range from 250(very basic)- on up depending on how custom and where is needs to go....
How much did Transonic quote?
Transonic wants to charge 500-700 to do both custom boxes wood on the inside and resin outside.what do you think?

BoatFloating
03-16-2005, 06:59 PM
That enclosure would last about a month in a boat. They are not screwed and glue, just stapled and siliconed. Also its not resined.
That is one reason I got out of the stereo biz, very few people are willing to spend the money it takes to do it right. Even at riverbound's pricing, I don't see how anyone could make a living building those.
BTW: riverbound, I was flying the shocker (from a house) just down river from the entrance to the keys when idled by on sat.
I here you but here is what I'm saying. Buy that box strip the carpet add staples and screws resin yourself and re-carpet and you're good to go for under $75 a box. Building a box isn't open heart surgery and paying 500-700 seems high to me IMHO.......
:D

rvrhlic
03-16-2005, 09:36 PM
am not sure if they are the same dimensions but I have 2 custom made (by Mark's autosound) boxes that were for my JL W12v6 that you can have if you want. I think it cost me about 1400 to have the boxes made and installed and the amp hooked up. If they will work for you and you want them, let me know.

BoatFloating
03-17-2005, 07:22 AM
am not sure if they are the same dimensions but I have 2 custom made (by Mark's autosound) boxes that were for my JL W12v6 that you can have if you want. I think it cost me about 1400 to have the boxes made and installed and the amp hooked up. If they will work for you and you want them, let me know.
So what do you want for one of the boxes?????

h2oski2fast
03-17-2005, 11:49 AM
I here you but here is what I'm saying. Buy that box strip the carpet add staples and screws resin yourself and re-carpet and you're good to go for under $75 a box. Building a box isn't open heart surgery and paying 500-700 seems high to me IMHO.......
It's possible to save some money doing it that way. Another issue would be finding the right speaker for that enclosure (especialy being that is a ported enclosure) so that it will sound good. Remember the 500-700 was for 2 boxes.
It would be a fun contest to take someone who would "build a box" and someone who would design the sub enclosure and put them head to head, same speaker being run off the same amp with the same surroundings. It would be interesting to see if it was worth the extra time/money.

BoatFloating
03-17-2005, 01:04 PM
It's possible to save some money doing it that way. Another issue would be finding the right speaker for that enclosure (especialy being that is a ported enclosure) so that it will sound good. Remember the 500-700 was for 2 boxes.
It would be a fun contest to take someone who would "build a box" and someone who would design the sub enclosure and put them head to head, same speaker being run off the same amp with the same surroundings. It would be interesting to see if it was worth the extra time/money.
That would be a good test. I would bet if you grab 10 people off the street street 80% couldn't tell the sound difference between a custom built box and a mass produced box as long as the air space was within the correct specs on the mass produced box..... Then add in the sound loss in a boat and I bet 9 out of 10 couldn't tell the difference.
Kind afraid to say this but in my golf cart I bought a $15.00 sub box from Wal-Mart to put my JL 10 W1 in and it sounds good. I knew the box would take a beating being in a golf cart and so far so good......
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/372DSC02008-med.JPG :D

ROZ
03-17-2005, 01:14 PM
It would be a fun contest to take someone who would "build a box" and someone who would design the sub enclosure and put them head to head, same speaker being run off the same amp with the same surroundings. It would be interesting to see if it was worth the extra time/money.I thin kyou already know the answer... Oh' wait, sealed or ported? :D

ROZ
03-17-2005, 01:29 PM
That would be a good test. I would bet if you grab 10 people off the street street 80% couldn't tell the sound difference
I know you're speaking about sub enclosures, but if you cut short there, why stop there? Why did you choose JL Audio over something like Sherwood for instance? Do you think you'd notice the difference?

BoatFloating
03-17-2005, 01:30 PM
I thin kyou already know the answer... Oh' wait, sealed or ported? :D
Hater..... Hey answer the guy's question here (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1204885#post1204885)
It's kinda like the guy who said that you can tell the difference between expensive speaker wire and good speaker wire :confused:

BoatFloating
03-17-2005, 01:38 PM
I know you're speaking about sub enclosures, but if you cut short there, why stop there? Why did you choose JL Audio over something like Sherwood for instance? Do you think you'd notice the difference?
I think there's a difference between poor audio equipment and great audio equipment. I don't beleive in buying a $800 head unit since it doesn't add to sound quality over a $300 unit. To me it's only got more bells and whistles. I don't think a custom made box and a box made to the right specs are that different. See I thought badasschevy was just looking for a sub box and I know a custom box would cost more because of the labor. But if I bought the sub box from Ebay and Wired For Sound made a standard box not a custom location box could the general public no the difference in sound????

ROZ
03-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Hater..... Hey answer the guy's question here (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1204885#post1204885)
I did... :D
[QUOTE=BoatFloating]
It's kinda like the guy who said that you can tell the difference between expensive speaker wire and good speaker wire :confused:
Voodoo I tell ya! ;) :D

BoatFloating
03-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Voodoo I tell ya! ;) :D
Booooo...... :wink:

ROZ
03-17-2005, 01:57 PM
I don't think a custom made box and a box made to the right specs are that different.
I would consider a box made to the specs and characteristics of a particular subwoofer as being custom.
There is no single magic box that will work well for every subwoofer under every circumstance...

BoatFloating
03-17-2005, 02:03 PM
I would consider a box made to the specs and characteristics of a particular subwoofer as being custom.
There is no single magic box that will work well for every subwoofer under every circumstance...
I agree.... But $300 seems steep....
:jawdrop:

ROZ
03-17-2005, 02:11 PM
I know it sounds high, but you get what you pay for.... We don't know what materials he plans to use... Like RB said, materials plus the cost of doing business and having a qualifies experienced person doing the job is why it cost so much....
Wood and vinyl alone cost me more than the boxes you posted...

riverbound
03-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Volume is the key, if you hire the right guys we can do 10-12 custom boxes at a time. and make a pretty good living at it.
That was you? I wold have stopped but, the family wanted Keys Pizza.

rvrhlic
03-21-2005, 04:44 PM
So what do you want for one of the boxes?????
I want nothing... who ever wants em can have em. They are just sitting in the garage collecting dust, I am not sure I will be using them as I have had a new box build for my boat.

BADASS38CHEVY
03-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks ,now im really confused.so if i get them for 500.00 for both for a custom box made for the jl 13s i should go for it ?

riverbound
03-29-2005, 08:07 AM
Thanks ,now im really confused.so if i get them for 500.00 for both for a custom box made for the jl 13s i should go for it ?
Have you stopped by AL&Eds Ontario, to sse what they would do it for????
Dave, definitely takes care of ***boaters. And there service manager is one of the top 5 installers in the US. They also do a ton of boats, so mthey might know a thing or two. Arew you stuck on having Transonic do it?

BADASS38CHEVY
03-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Have you stopped by AL&Eds Ontario, to sse what they would do it for????
Dave, definitely takes care of ***boaters. And there service manager is one of the top 5 installers in the US. They also do a ton of boats, so mthey might know a thing or two. Arew you stuck on having Transonic do it?
I have taked to al and eds they gave me about the same price.lavey works with transonic so i figure i would start with them and get more quotes.i think 500 would be ok but knowone will give me a exact amount 500-700.i dont want to say ok and then 700.00 becomes the price, i need to know ahead of time.

riverbound
03-29-2005, 05:47 PM
I know that once they (AL&EDs) sees the boat there price will not vary. But without seeing the boat and knnowing what work is involved I dont know of Any shop that will give you an exact price. One thing to remeber, boat manuifacturers dont always use someone because they are the best quality, usually they use whoever will give them the cheapest price. That Is why you wont see many "Factory" jobs at the higher end audio shops.

Havasu Hangin'
03-29-2005, 06:16 PM
I made some for around $40:
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/rear_pedestal.jpg
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/rear_bench.jpg
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/subs.jpg
(and a few hours)