PDA

View Full Version : Best Performance Chip/Programmer For '02 Burb?

RiverOtter
03-16-2005, 07:48 AM
I have a '02 Z71 Burb. Are these performance chips any good? Should I look into a programmer instead? Is one brand better than another? Can the dealer tell I'm changed the chip back and forth from performance to factory?

Pointerman
03-16-2005, 08:09 AM
The guys over at gm-trucks.com are extremely fond of the Westers tune. You can get tons of different options. Not cheap ($450), but supposed to be awesome.

RiverOtter
03-16-2005, 08:14 AM
The guys over at gm-trucks.com are extremely fond of the Westers tune. You can get tons of different options. Not cheap ($450), but supposed to be awesome.
Thanks, I'll look it up.

Pointerman
03-16-2005, 08:17 AM
These guys are the ones that sell the chip. You have to call them and they send you and order form if I am not mistaken. My truck is still under warranty until August, but after that I will be doing this chip upgrade.
http://www.tbyrnemotorsports.com/

4day!!
03-16-2005, 08:35 AM
I recimmend geting a programmer. With the programmer you can reset your vehicle back to the stock/factory seting in 10 minutes if you have to take it in for warranty work. I have a superchips programmer. It has 3 different mode to program (87 octane, towing mode, and performance mode). The towing and performance mode require 91 octane. It is extremely simple to program and takes about 10 minutes. Check out this link( i think you will need the 2715 model) [URL=http://www.superchips.com/html/products/gm/gas_trucks.htm]
you can find used and new ones on Ebay. If you go with a used one make sure it is not VIN locked. The programmers can only be used on one vehicle at a tim. Before it can be used on another vehicle, the current vehicle must be returned to stock settings.

casean
03-16-2005, 08:37 AM
I have a '02 Z71 Burb. Are these performance chips any good? Should I look into a programmer instead? Is one brand better than another? Can the dealer tell I'm changed the chip back and forth from performance to factory?
A performance tune is the way to go. You'll see allot better results versus a programmer. I did a performance tune on our 03 6.0 2500HD, and it made very noticeable gains. With a performance tune you can have them remove or trim back the torque management to your liking. I looked into the Westers, Nelson and PCM For Less tunes before buying ours. I end up going with PCM For Less (http://www.pcmforless.com/).

Cole Trickle
03-16-2005, 09:22 AM
Here is my opinion for what it's worth.
I have been in the LS1 car/truck community for quite a few years.
For the average consumer I think the Diablo Sport Predator is the way to go.It gives you a base tune and the flexibility to make minor changes to both the timing and Air fuel.It also has a live data feed to let you know what's going on with the truck and the ability to clear codes if need be.(I picked up 18 hp and 15 tq tuning with this on the dyno)
The Hypertech is very basic and tends to lean out the car/truck a little more than I would be comfortable with.I have seen people install this many times and loose HP.(This is a tool for someone that wants to spend the money but hasn't kept up to date with the marketplace)
I think all the custom PCM tuners are OK at best.There is really no way to tune a car via the mail.You could run 10 of your exact trucks on the dyno and get 8 different numbers and alot of different timing/fueling curves. If you have the ability to see the tuner in person and they run the car on a dyno with air/fuel monitoring then it would be a different story.(I have seen as many bad things as good things happen in regards to mail tuning)
For the hard core enthusiast I recomend:
www.carputing.com
www.hptuners.com
Both of the above software will give you total control of your vehicles PCM and could be a either a great tool or a dangerous venture if you have no idea what your doing.
You might check out the truck section of www.ls1tech.com for more information.
Brandin

Powerquestboy
03-16-2005, 09:35 AM
I am also interested in this since we are buying a bigger boat and I feel I need more towing power. I have an 02 Yukon XL and I am not really interested in performance settings just more towing power! So I might need something that I can switch back and forth so I dont have to drive it in the towing mode all the time and run 91 octane.

Cole Trickle
03-16-2005, 09:41 AM
I am also interested in this since we are buying a bigger boat and I feel I need more towing power. I have an 02 Yukon XL and I am not really interested in performance settings just more towing power! So I might need something that I can switch back and forth so I dont have to drive it in the towing mode all the time and run 91 octane.
www.magnacharger.com
Trust me this will give you all the towing power you neeed! :)
I am in the process of convincing my dad to put one on his H2
B

sigepmock
03-16-2005, 10:04 AM
I prefer this one:
Whipple S/C (http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com)
:D :D
Both are great kits.
Chris

Powerquestboy
03-16-2005, 10:12 AM
Yeah, Supercharger will get r done but its the little womans car so if I spent 5 or 6 G's on a supercharger I would take it and have to buy her another ride so it might be a little expensive.

It's all Good
03-16-2005, 10:19 AM
I just put a Westers ECM in my '01 Suburban last week. So far so good. I did buy it through www.tbyrnemotorsports.com, saved about $100. I got the Dual Tune 87/91 octane program, raised shift points, eliminate most of the torque management, etc.
Westers Garage:
http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/

RiverOtter
03-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys, Don't know if there are any "tuners" in the Nooga, but I'll research the links y'all provided. :cool:

Havasu Hangin'
03-16-2005, 01:05 PM
I just put Westers on my '04 Sub...
...it's a new truck.
:cool:

RiverOtter
03-16-2005, 01:08 PM
I just put Westers on my '04 Sub...
...it's a new truck.
:cool:
Not sure I understand them. Do they have a chip they send to you or do you take your truck there (which for me ain't gonna happen) and the tune it up?

Cole Trickle
03-16-2005, 01:18 PM
Not sure I understand them. Do they have a chip they send to you or do you take your truck there (which for me ain't gonna happen) and the tune it up?
They mail you a new PCM (Computer) with a guesstimated tune.
You then remove your PCM and replace it with the moddified PCM.(You return your PCM to the vendor and they give you your core charge back)
Brandin

Havasu Hangin'
03-16-2005, 01:19 PM
They ship you a PCM...then you install it. You have to go through a security re-learn procedure (takes about 30 minutes).
Then you ship your old one back to Westers...

RiverOtter
03-16-2005, 01:20 PM
They ship you a PCM...then you install it. You have to go through a security re-learn procedure (takes about 30 minutes).
Then you ship your old one back to Westers...
I ship them the truck's origional PCM? So I can't switch them back and forth?

Havasu Hangin'
03-16-2005, 01:29 PM
I ship them the truck's origional PCM? So I can't switch them back and forth?
You can keep it if you want...just buy a core (about $150) and have that sent to Westers.
However, if you read the GM forums, most guys regret doing that, since there is never a reason to switch back.
Westers also offers lifetime changes for mods (just pay shipping) like adding exhaust, etc. I imagine he would send you a stock one if you wanted...

RiverOtter
03-16-2005, 01:37 PM
You can keep it if you want...just buy a core (about $150) and have that sent to Westers.
However, if you read the GM forums, most guys regret doing that, since there is never a reason to switch back.
Westers also offers lifetime changes for mods (just pay shipping) like adding exhaust, etc. I imagine he would send you a stock one if you wanted...
My concern is I bought the ext warranty cause I'm just sure the tranny will crap out sometime before I can buy an 07 Duramax (I know... wishful thinking). So I am worried they wouldn't honor my warranty.

Havasu Hangin'
03-16-2005, 01:45 PM
My concern is I bought the ext warranty cause I'm just sure the tranny will crap out sometime before I can buy an 07 Duramax (I know... wishful thinking). So I am worried they wouldn't honor my warranty.
The software changes are supposedly transparent (taking out torque-management, re-mapping timing, etc.), so the dealer would not have visability to the changes...

Pointerman
03-16-2005, 02:10 PM
The software changes are supposedly transparent (taking out torque-management, re-mapping timing, etc.), so the dealer would not have visability to the changes...
Now I don't believe that. They have to know changes have been made. Hook that thing up to their little trouble shooting machine and I bet it lets them know you did something.

Havasu Hangin'
03-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Now I don't believe that. They have to know changes have been made. Hook that thing up to their little trouble shooting machine and I bet it lets them know you did something.
I think that it takes more than a code-reader to see if any changes have been made to the software. The tranny shift, fuel and spark curves are very complex...so there are probably alot of lines of software code that can't be read without the proper computer. Maybe someone should ask a GM Tech if he knows how to read the software that is flashed into the PCM?
All I know is that if Hypertech, etc. doesn't void any warranty (except on the PCM itself), then a custom tune probably won't. After all, it's pretty much the same thing (accessing the data points in a PCM).
Hey...but don't take my word for it...I'm just an idiot on the internet!