PDA

View Full Version : Hit and Run

Mardonzi
03-16-2005, 08:41 AM
I get a call from the Mrs last night around 9 p.m. It seems that her 17 y.o. son had run down to the store in her Lexus and was coming back when some clown who was parked at the curb pulls out right into the rear passenger quarter panel of her car. Our son pulls off to the side of the road to exchange info and the A**hole takes off! Our son drives to the cop shop and files a report. They, of course, don't put that much faith in catching the guy (we live right near the Navajo reservation, and it's estimated that 40-50% of the ppl there don't carry insurance).
So, it looks like we will be filing a claim with our insurance to pay for the damage. What I was wondering, is if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing and if their rates took a jump because of it. We only have one other claim in the last 3 years (Pickup got stolen out on the reservation).

Outnumbered
03-16-2005, 08:44 AM
I get a call from the Mrs last night around 9 p.m. It seems that her 17 y.o. son had run down to the store in her Lexus and was coming back when some clown who was parked at the curb pulls out right into the rear passenger quarter panel of her car. Our son pulls off to the side of the road to exchange info and the A**hole takes off! Our son drives to the cop shop and files a report. They, of course, don't put that much faith in catching the guy (we live right near the Navajo reservation, and it's estimated that 40-50% of the ppl there don't carry insurance).
So, it looks like we will be filing a claim with our insurance to pay for the damage. What I was wondering, is if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing and if their rates took a jump because of it. We only have one other claim in the last 3 years (Pickup got stolen out on the reservation).
I would try to pay out of pocket unless its big $$. The thing that sux with insurance is that if he has another real wreck, major point ticket, dui, etc. They will cancel your ass. Without the little claim on there you will have a better chance of keeping insured and at a better rate.

Mandelon
03-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Good thing you got a police report. I got a big dent in my NEW Silverado at the Bluewater.
Safeco denied the claim, I had the guys number who did it, his wife left it on the window. SAid he was a Riverside PD officer, but he now denies it, won't return calls and Safeco wont' do shit.
Safeco Sux, this Riverside deputy sheriff is a POS liar and I still have a dent......
Hope yours turns out better. They shouldn't raise rates due to one claim.

Indiansprings
03-16-2005, 08:50 AM
With one other incedent on file, you will be on thin ice. Cant really give you any advice. Did you contact the Navajo Nation police and see if they might help?

Mardonzi
03-16-2005, 08:58 AM
With one other incedent on file, you will be on thin ice. Cant really give you any advice. Did you contact the Navajo Nation police and see if they might help?
The Rez is the perfect example of the "good ole boy" network. When I was hit on my bike last year out there, I was informed that they (navajo) are not required to carry insurance while operating on the reservation. This is why the un-insured rate is so high out there.. they don't have to have it and chance it when coming into town.
Looking back on my posts,, lets see,, 3 Not at Fault incidents in 3 years??? Maybe I should consider quitting driving out here and just hang out on the water full time....

Mrs.HLB1
03-16-2005, 11:05 AM
If the accident is not your fault they can not raise your rates. The only time they raise rates is when its your fault or if you get a ticket, usually. I work in insurance. pm me if you need more info.

Schiada76
03-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Good thing you got a police report. I got a big dent in my NEW Silverado at the Bluewater.
Safeco denied the claim, I had the guys number who did it, his wife left it on the window. SAid he was a Riverside PD officer, but he now denies it, won't return calls and Safeco wont' do shit.
Safeco Sux, this Riverside deputy sheriff is a POS liar and I still have a dent......
Fix it, sue him in small claims.
Simple

AzLakeLizard
03-16-2005, 12:23 PM
ok.. now.. here I am driving my dented car to work this morning.. and what do I see in another company's parking lot??? A black newer Grand Am.. so I pull into the parking lot.. check out the front drivers side..and WALA.. there is silver/gold paint on the bumper (matches ours) and the bumper is also broken.. so I head on into work.. call the cops and give them the plate number and location.. they say they will call me back.. that was at 9:15am this morning.. and no call yet. They told Mardonzi that there was an officer on site at around 11:00am but still no call.. and now.. there is no car??? hmmm wonder if they took it back home on the rez... :burningm:

AzLakeLizard
03-17-2005, 12:27 PM
GOT EM!~ :lightsabe
And it was the car I spotted in the parking lot yesterday morning! woohoo
nothing like going with those "feelings".
From what the DMV said that they even have insurance! Made our Day! :rollside:

ChumpChange
03-17-2005, 12:38 PM
GOT EM!~ :lightsabe
And it was the car I spotted in the parking lot yesterday morning! woohoo
nothing like going with those "feelings".
From what the DMV said that they even have insurance! Made our Day! :rollside:
Good to hear. Now have fun with the rest.

Dr. Eagle
03-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Doesn't it feel good to catch some of these lowlifes?
Many years ago, I finally got the guy that'd been breaking into my truck for weeks on end...
Felt good to see the cuffs slapped on... :devil:

PowellScooter
03-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Now thats funny right there...... No offense meant you just gotta live here to appreciate that one...

Scream
03-17-2005, 12:53 PM
Mandelon, had a similar situation with 21st century (oops, did I say that outloud). I got hit headon (low speed, idot made a left turn into me). The bonehead was restricted to NOT driving the car he was in (brother of the insured driver). Because he was excluded from the insurance, the insurance carrier of the offending vehicle was not going to pay the claim. Enter 21st. I called to make a claim, went through the process, filled out the paperwork and all of the sudden the premium payment we had just made wasn't recieved and our insurance was dubiously cancelled...After weeks of wrangling with them and them trying to get tough on me, I called the dept of ins. who did absolutely nothing. I then called the BBB.
I filed a complaint online, started an investigation by BBB and within a couple of days had 21st century eating out of my hand. They reinstated the insurance, appologized, overpaid me for the damages and fixed my truck if I promised to rescind my BBB complaint. They were never concerned with the Dept of Ins.
Give 'em one more shot across the bow and then get online and put in a complaint. You've got nothing to loose.
Scream