PDA

View Full Version : I Need more iPod help

Tunnel Vision
04-24-2006, 08:49 AM
So I got my iPod (No head unit), amp 320 watts and Pyle speakers 5-1/4" triaxle's installed in my Arctic Cat Prowler this weekend and man does it sound like shiat!
I was told to adj. the gain to max but it has no base at all.
If I adj. the iPod eq. it helps a little but still no good. :cry:
I'm thinking about putting my lap top in the Prowler so that it uses the actual amp and speakers, then in iTunes use the equalizer to find the best setting and saving it in iTunes and then down loading that setting to the iPod.
Will that work? or am I going about this all wrong?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :)
TV

h2oski2fast
04-24-2006, 04:27 PM
I do not believe you can save the EQ settings and load them to the Ipod, unless it's a new feature that I haven't run across yet. MP3's generally have a brighter midrange (thus making the bass seem less prominent), it is an inherent problem with the compressed format. Also, 5 1/4s don't produce much bass, as they are too small to excite the air required for a pronounced bass. There are a few things you can check:
1. Make sure that the speakers are in phase with each other. If the speakers are out of phase when it will cause cancellation, resulting in nearly no lower frequency output and an "airy" sounding higher frequency.
2. The volume on the Ipod most likely should not be all the way, the will cause the Ipod output to be distorted there causing the amp to amplify the distortion.
3. Due to the fact that the Ipod has such a low output level you may need to use a line amplifier to help boost the input level going in to the amp.

Tunnel Vision
04-25-2006, 07:05 AM
You may be right about the EQ settings I thought I seen that in the iTunes help, so I will double check tonight.

Tunnel Vision
04-25-2006, 07:12 AM
What do you mean phase, does that mean + to + and - to - ?
I was very careful when Install it but its worth a check.
The only reason I used the 5-1/4" is that they come mounted in a nice "KC Daylighter housing that I thought would be great for this offroad application.
I was kind of deceiving on the sellers side , they call them 6". :argue:
TV

Jyruiz
04-25-2006, 07:56 AM
You may be right about the EQ settings I thought I seen that in the iTunes help, so I will double check tonight.
You can amplified the bass in the iPod itself, but the best advice is to get a line level amp (like $35.00) like h2o said.

Tunnel Vision
04-25-2006, 11:14 AM
where can I get one?

Jyruiz
04-25-2006, 11:40 AM
You can get it here (http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIELD1)

sigepmock
04-25-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm running my iPod straight to the amp(RF 4x100) to 2 Eclipse 5x7's and then a 10" JL under the driver seat. Just for the hell of it I disconnected the sub and wow even with nice 5 x 7's it didn't sound good. The sub really helps fill in the sound quality, with it the system actually sounds decent.
With just two Pyle (not known for the best sound quality) 5 1/4's you might not be able to get the sound quality you want. Can you fit some 6x9's in there somewhere. They might give you a good mix of high, mids, and a little bass.
I don't think the line level booster will do much....CaSean tried that on his Rhino and it still sounded bad with the gains cranked up high enough to get the volume.
Just my $.02,
Chris