PDA

View Full Version : How to Sell Boat Person to Person in AZ?

It's Only Money
03-17-2005, 06:31 AM
I have always traded-in my boats when selling them and now I am now selling my Arizona registered (CA trailer) boat to a private party in Arizona. He's an AZ resident so I know there's no sales tax issue involved. He's never purchased a boat private party either so the buyer isn't sure how to handle this. He thought he had heard that a notary public was needed to consumate the transaction. So, my questions to the group:
1) Is a Notary needed?
2) Can I write up a simple bill of sale and have him sign it and me sign it?
3) I do not have the AZ Game and Fish registration with me but is there a place to sign on it like California provides for transfer to a new owner?
4) Do I have to notify AZ G&F after the owner takes delivery?
5) On the CA trailer do I have to notify the DMV of the transfer as well?
6) Am I missing anything here.
He is bringing a certified check so that issue is covered. It is an all cash (check) deal so there is no financing involved.
Thanks in advance for the info.
Dana

Essex29
03-17-2005, 06:40 AM
I have always traded-in my boats when selling them and now I am now selling my Arizona registered (CA trailer) boat to a private party in Arizona. He's an AZ resident so I know there's no sales tax issue involved. He's never purchased a boat private party either so the buyer isn't sure how to handle this. He thought he had heard that a notary public was needed to consumate the transaction. So, my questions to the group:
1) Is a Notary needed?
2) Can I write up a simple bill of sale and have him sign it and me sign it?
3) I do not have the AZ Game and Fish registration with me but is there a place to sign on it like California provides for transfer to a new owner?
4) Do I have to notify AZ G&F after the owner takes delivery?
5) On the CA trailer do I have to notify the DMV of the transfer as well?
6) Am I missing anything here.
He is bringing a certified check so that issue is covered. It is an all cash (check) deal so there is no financing involved.
Thanks in advance for the info.
Dana
Do yourself a favor....meet the guy at the bank that the certified funds are drawn from...just to be safe.lot's of counterfeit shiat going around.
I just sold a boat and it was really easy..
1. YOU need to tell the dmv that it has been sold and to transfer liability
2. On the back of the AZ registration there is a transfer of ownership.
That is pretty much all you have to do...I'd keep the insurance going for a week, until the transfer information has gone through.
No notary is needed.
good luck...my buyer was excellent!

jdf
03-17-2005, 06:42 AM
well when i bought my flattie from ca and i live in tx there was just the seller sign the boat over to me and a i think a bill of sell

MagicMtnDan
03-17-2005, 06:49 AM
Unfortunately no one can afford to trust certified checks. Go to the bank with him and have the bank verify the check/funds. Better to be safe than sorry!

Essex502
03-17-2005, 07:11 AM
If the certified check is drawn on a bank why wouldn't it be good? I'm in the process of selling our boat as well and would like to know the safest way to handle this kind of transaction. Is a cashier's check different?

Outnumbered
03-17-2005, 07:31 AM
Do yourself a favor....meet the guy at the bank that the certified funds are drawn from...just to be safe.lot's of counterfeit shiat going around.
I just sold a boat and it was really easy..
1. YOU need to tell the dmv that it has been sold and to transfer liability
2. On the back of the AZ registration there is a transfer of ownership.
That is pretty much all you have to do...I'd keep the insurance going for a week, until the transfer information has gone through.
No notary is needed.
good luck...my buyer was excellent!
DMV in AZ does not handle boats, only the trailer. Its Game and Fish that handles the boat. They have a website. Check it out.

Lake Ape
03-17-2005, 07:39 AM
DMV in AZ does not handle boats, only the trailer. Its Game and Fish that handles the boat. They have a website. Check it out.
Yup, he's right. Just sign over the boat regristration on the back and the boat is taken care of. If you are buying a boat in AZ you should probably make sure the boat doesn't have lean against it. There are several ways to do this but in the past I have just gotten affidavits from the seller stating that the boat is free and clear, have it notorized when you do the trailer.
For the trailer a notary is required. Make damn sure that if you have AZ perminant plates that the new owner changes them to thier name or you could be liable for some really nice parking tickets, photo radar tickets, etc. This happened to me.

Essex502
03-17-2005, 07:40 AM
I just called the Arizona Department of Game and Fish and they said that you just had to sign the back of their rgistration "card" and give it to the buyer. I think it's the same with the CA DMV for the trailer but I seem to recall - and agree with Essex29 - that you still have to notify the DMV as well.

ChumpChange
03-17-2005, 08:17 AM
If the certified check is drawn on a bank why wouldn't it be good? I'm in the process of selling our boat as well and would like to know the safest way to handle this kind of transaction. Is a cashier's check different?
You're fine. As long as it's a bank you know and not some Nigerian bank.

Essex502
03-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Cool...I've already had the discussion with the buyer and told him it would have to be a certified check from a major Bank. I thought of calling the bank and verifying but I don't know if they track the check number.

jdogginla
03-17-2005, 08:27 AM
It's called counterfit these days. A gentleman at my office sold his 94 ferrari at the end of year. Took a cashiers check, and even made photo copies of the guys id's. The check along with the ID's were not legit. Grant it they found the car a month later, but who ever had it, had driven it like it was a go kart at the local track.
MEET THE GUY AT HIS BANK AND HAVE A CHECK ISSUED!

ChumpChange
03-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Cool...I've already had the discussion with the buyer and told him it would have to be a certified check from a major Bank. I thought of calling the bank and verifying but I don't know if they track the check number.
They sure do track all the numbers. I have worked for a couple banks and you can verify issuance from all of them.

Essex502
03-17-2005, 08:36 AM
They sure do track all the numbers. I have worked for a couple banks and you can verify issuance from all of them.
Cool - that makes it pretty easy as the deal will be made in Havasu and not all of the AZ banks are in Havasu I'd guess.

Essex29
03-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Yeah right...they have the latest technology these days that can reproduce almost anything...even watermarks.
Who am I to say anything...I felt so comfortable with my buyer that I accepted a personal check from him....on the test run pretty much everything went wrong...batteries died and we had to get towed in...ran out gas in my truck and he took it upon himself to go to the gas station buy a can and get me some gas...pretty cool guy...(Airtime Lavey is his logon)just be careful...lot's of shady people out these days.
Good luck!

Mike.A
03-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Going through the same thing on a camper. There are too many scammers out here in AZ to trust anybody anymore, pretty sad. My transaction is to take place on Sunday, So, I will probably have them bring a certified check or cashiers check and wont turn it over to them until Monday when I can verify the check and funds. Real pain in the ass, but its better than getting burned for such a large amount. I got burned in Colorado on a $ 600 printer/plotter and had to threaten the guy with severe reprocution if he didnt make it right.
Learned my lesson. There was or is a scam going on about counterfiet cashiers checks, so be careful.

Essex502
03-17-2005, 08:43 AM
Luckily my deal will be happening on a Friday so the bank should be available. I don't know the bank the buy uses but I will soon!

BoatPI
03-17-2005, 08:44 AM
1. If the boat is AZ numbered, just sign off the title on the back and transfer to the new owner via the mail to the AZ Game and Fish. A form is available online. the fees may change so call them and obtain the new fees so the proper amount can be sent with the document. Or just go to Kingman or any other office.
2. If the trailer is CA titled, and the new owner wants to AZ title it, sign off the CA title, tow the trailer to the AZ DMV for VIN inspection and titling.
3. If the trailer is AZ titled, the title will need to be notarized for sign off, or go to the AZ DMV with the new applicant in perosn and sign off the title. ALL AZ titles must be notarized upon sale, out of state titles on on notarixed states do not need to be adressed as such.

Essex502
03-17-2005, 09:08 AM
1. If the boat is AZ numbered, just sign off the title on the back and transfer to the new owner via the mail to the AZ Game and Fish. A form is available online. the fees may change so call them and obtain the new fees so the proper amount can be sent with the document. Or just go to Kingman or any other office.
2. If the trailer is CA titled, and the new owner wants to AZ title it, sign off the CA title, tow the trailer to the AZ DMV for VIN inspection and titling.
3. If the trailer is AZ titled, the title will need to be notarized for sign off, or go to the AZ DMV with the new applicant in perosn and sign off the title. ALL AZ titles must be notarized upon sale, out of state titles on on notarixed states do not need to be adressed as such.
In my case - not to hijack the thread - the boat is AZ tagged and the trailer is CA tagged. I downloaded the tranfer form from the CA DMV and the Bill of Sale form from the AZGF. Should be enough I guess.

Boatcop
03-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Definitely do the Bill of Sale for the boat. Since the registration form is also the "title" and transfer of ownership, they'll want an additional document regarding the sale.
Also verify all the numbers match. Registration and Hull ID number.

phebus
03-17-2005, 10:54 AM
When I purchased my boat in AZ. we arranged to have my bank wire transfer the funds into the selers account. The seller prior to signing over the boat, called his bank and verified the funds were in place, and it was a done deal.

It's Only Money
03-17-2005, 11:10 AM
When I purchased my boat in AZ. we arranged to have my bank wire transfer the funds into the selers account. The seller prior to signing over the boat, called his bank and verified the funds were in place, and it was a done deal.
Thanks for the good ideas and answers.
Phebus - How did you arrange to do the wire transfer? I assume you need the routing number from the sellers bank account. Did you contact your bank with the routing number and they took care of it? I have never done a wire transfer individual to individual.

phebus
03-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the good ideas and answers.
Phebus - How did you arrange to do the wire transfer? I assume you need the routing number from the sellers bank account. Did you contact your bank with the routing number and they took care of it? I have never done a wire transfer individual to individual.
The seller provided me with the routing number for his bank account. I then went to my bank, and arranged a transfer from my account to his. I set a time up with my bank when the transfer would take place (it was a time frame, but a small one), and met the seller at the pre designated time. Hooked the boat up to my tow vehicle, shared a beer, and he went inside and called his bank. As promised and set up, the his bank verified the funds were in his account, and off I went. There was a cost for the wire transfer, but as I recall it was approx. 30.- or so.
I suggest looking into this option, as it was seamless, and gave the seller the assurance that the funds were good, and secured in his bank account.

Mike.A
03-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Just talked to my bank here in AZ. they said theres only really 2 safe ways of doing this, (since my buyer is out of state). Have the buyer take cash to a national or large bank such as B of A and buy a cashiers check, then when the transaction takes place, go to B of A with the buyer and have B of A cash the check and issue a new one to your bank. This way B of A becomes responsible for the funds and you are guaranteed the money. The other way is CASH. They said with the wire transfer way, there is account numbers involved and there is a risk. I hate having to think this way, but the scums of the earth have forced it upon us.