PDA

View Full Version : starter probs

Rod
06-10-2001, 06:07 PM
My starter today after a run when the moter got hot it cranked slow. Its a new maine starter top mount. the cables are big (0). does any body know how to wirer a ford sol. to my chevy starter. Rod NC

Oldsquirt
06-10-2001, 06:43 PM
A slow cranking motor will probably not be resolved by adding a Ford-type starter RELAY.It is normally used when you have is a solenoid "click" but no crank problem after a hot soak. Sounds more like you have a weak battery or poor connections between battery and starter or a poor ground from battery to block. Check all connections, have battery load-tested,and make sure you remove paint from the starter mounting ears so starter has a good ground. Another possibility would be that the engine got tight when it got hot, putting more load on the starter than it could handle.
Does your starter have a solenoid attatched like a typical GM car? THe top mounts I remember don't. If yours doesn't, then the addition of Ford relay would not apply in any case.

spectras only
06-10-2001, 10:41 PM
Rod , I have a solution for you.There's only one problem ,I remember you reminding us that you're a poor boy.If you don't mind spending a little more money,you go to your local speedshop and buy the red top [not the deepcycle] OPTIMA starter battery.800 CC starting ,and it keeps a charge up to two years.I guarantee you won't regret it.You can mount this battery any way you like it.

SoggyJet
06-11-2001, 04:01 AM
Rod,
A couple of suggestions.
1. If your initial ignition timing is way advanced (like 14 plus degrees) this could be cause your problem. This means plugs are trying to fire long before TDC and therfore fighting the starter. Solution is to retard initial timing back to 4-8 degrees. This means you would have to change the mechanical advance to mantain the same total ignition timing.
2. Check all connections for corrosion, clean as necessary.
3. Add the Ford type relay. Wired to key puts power to the Ford relay. When the Ford relay is activated it puts power to the Start terminal on the starter solenoid. Reason this helps is that you lose a lot of voltage running power all the way to front of the boat, through the switch and back to the starter. This means the solenoid is working on lower voltage and does not activate as firmly, reducing voltage to the starter.
Good luck, Doug