PDA

View Full Version : New 496 Gibson's In Stock @ Dana Marine!

Dana Marine Products
03-17-2005, 06:49 PM
New Gibson clamp on mufflers for 496 and small block applications are finished and in stock. Our website will have photos uploaded tomorrow. 4" diamater 6.5" long, $299.00 a pair. All polished stainless. DB readings on a 496 motor are 85 DB. Very small, compact, and they have the same straight through free flowing design. Part #310003. No power loss with Gibson!!

OutCole'd
03-17-2005, 07:01 PM
New Gibson clamp on mufflers for 496 and small block applications are finished and in stock. Our website will have photos uploaded tomorrow. 4" diamater 6.5" long, $299.00 a pair. All polished stainless. DB readings on a 496 motor are 85 DB. Very small, compact, and they have the same straight through free flowing design. Part #310003. No power loss with Gibson!!
How about with a 525? Any rpm testing done yet?

Dana Marine Products
03-18-2005, 04:39 AM
They have not been tested on a 525. I don't think you'll have a restriction issue, but I can pretty much guarantee it won't pass the new noise laws on a 525. This new muffler is specifically designed for use with 496 and small block engines. Anything bigger than that should use the Gibson Bullet mufflers. The Gibson bullets have been tested on over twenty 525 engines in a variety of hull designs. Every one has been a success for proper noise DB's and no power loss.

Sane Asylum
03-18-2005, 05:27 AM
Any test data on 496HO.......Any idea with twins....?? I like the price..

Not So Fast
03-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Thats some good news at least for 496 owners! Now the flood of questions, well just one OK, since they are relatively short I am assuming they have no internal flapper correct?? I lied, two questions, is there a set screw or another way to make sure they dont fall off?? This is very smart marketing Bob and now you won't pull an Eddie Marine trick and decide to price gouge will you?? This is where the prices should be on mufflers, even thou nobody wants them at least it seems somewhat in line and if ya have to then ya have to. Good job, you will sell a s--t pot of these!! NSF

RiverDave
03-18-2005, 09:34 AM
Does this void your Merc Warranty? I know someone that was recently talking to a guy over at Merc with regards to this, and they said anything more then 2% back pressure would void the warranty.. Brick stock with through hulls your already at 1%?? Any more info on this?
RD

Not So Fast
03-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Good call RD, we all seem so caught up in this muffler crap that we are forgetting what was posted by, I thought Dana Marine about the warranties being voided if you install any muffling device. So whats the verdict, will it or won't it void warranties??? NSF

Beer-30
03-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Pics are available at the www.gibsonexhaust.com website. Decisions, decisions......

Dana Marine Products
03-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Hello Everyone, Although Gibson has done several different types of testing to the muffler systems, Dana Marine is out at Lake Havasu doing additional muffler testing as we speak. I am going to respond to your questions for them with the information I have. (Please understand that I am in contact with the guys to obtain this information, therefore the information I give you will be accurate)
Sane Asylum - Db testing on 496HO - results 84 Db. No testing has been done on a twin engine set up, however 2 496HO should pass with no problem.
Betitbig - You can use the 4 1/2" Bullet Gibson clamp on muffler system, $499.00 a set. These can be viewed at WWW.Danamarineproducts.com, At this time we have a waiting list for these mufflers, they are approximately 2 weeks out. Once you view these on our website please give us a call to add your name to the list so that we can you have back on the lake asap.
Not So Fast - That is correct they do not have an internal flapper. There is not a set screw, it is a 2 bolt set up. One of the tests done this morning was to test the fuction and grip of this product. The 2 bolt set up has not failed. And they tried everthing they could to get it to fail. I also wanted to let you know that Gibson is working on an anti-theft device for all clamp on models that should be available in the next few weeks.
River Dave - We can not speak on Mercs behalf regarding the warranty issue. However it is a straight thru design that will except an external clamp on flapper to help prevent reversion in everyway. We have tested for back pressure and have been unable to get the guage to read 1 pound. Gibson systems are the most free flowing muffler on the market, their straight thru design outflows the competitors products. We have been given information from the OEM's we are in contact with that deal direct with Merc and there are a few specific muffler systems that are being targeted and Gibson is not one of these. We are not at liberty to disclose any information regarding other muffler systems.
I hope this answer the questions you have posted and if you need any additional information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sane Asylum
03-18-2005, 03:36 PM
DMP....Thanks for the info and education........I think everyone on here is a little antsy about putting muffs on their boats......About half the reason I bought my boat was the power and the sound the power made......
I think the price is right on the new sets......

Not So Fast
03-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Hello Everyone, Although Gibson has done several different types of testing to the muffler systems, Dana Marine is out at Lake Havasu doing additional muffler testing as we speak. I am going to respond to your questions for them with the information I have. (Please understand that I am in contact with the guys to obtain this information, therefore the information I give you will be accurate)
Sane Asylum - Db testing on 496HO - results 84 Db. No testing has been done on a twin engine set up, however 2 496HO should pass with no problem.
Betitbig - You can use the 4 1/2" Bullet Gibson clamp on muffler system, $499.00 a set. These can be viewed at WWW.Danamarineproducts.com, At this time we have a waiting list for these mufflers, they are approximately 2 weeks out. Once you view these on our website please give us a call to add your name to the list so that we can you have back on the lake asap.
Not So Fast - That is correct they do not have an internal flapper. There is not a set screw, it is a 2 bolt set up. One of the tests done this morning was to test the fuction and grip of this product. The 2 bolt set up has not failed. And they tried everthing they could to get it to fail. I also wanted to let you know that Gibson is working on an anti-theft device for all clamp on models that should be available in the next few weeks.
River Dave - We can not speak on Mercs behalf regarding the warranty issue. However it is a straight thru design that will except an external clamp on flapper to help prevent reversion in everyway. We have tested for back pressure and have been unable to get the guage to read 1 pound. Gibson systems are the most free flowing muffler on the market, their straight thru design outflows the competitors products. We have been given information from the OEM's we are in contact with that deal direct with Merc and there are a few specific muffler systems that are being targeted and Gibson is not one of these. We are not at liberty to disclose any information regarding other muffler systems.
I hope this answer the questions you have posted and if you need any additional information please do not hesitate to contact us.
Thanks Dana, your info has been right on and i think i speak for all of us when i say THANK YOU. when i need the muffs, arrgghhhh, I'll do yours for sure NSF

Beer-30
03-18-2005, 06:20 PM
SANE, I feel ya. I finally bought a boat with one of the reasons being: listening to an open exhaust BBC. Just nothing quite like the idle bouncing off of the water and especially when it is amplified from under a molded swim step!
Therefore, I will probably go with the clamp-on Gibson's, unless some of the other companies get on board with the price. I really wish I could do switchable as that would be the best of both worlds.
Additionally, I don't have to run mufflers at our local lake, per the Park Ranger that patrols it being happy with stock big blocks.

Indiansprings
03-18-2005, 09:05 PM
I will tell you what guys, Your boat will still have a nasty growl to it. I picked up a set of Gibsons from Dana Marine. I really didnt want to, but I love them now. Still sounds awesome just a little more mellow. Still has that cracking idle :) And a nice roar at WOT.

Beer-30
03-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Cool, IndianSprings. That makes me feel better. I have been uneased about this whole thing. Glad you bit the bullet first to give feedback. :D

Indiansprings
03-18-2005, 11:01 PM
I just dont want to push my luck. I am not going to drive from here to Havasu just to have some idiot tell me to leave. The way I am, they would have to arrest me. I would not sign shi_, I would not even listen to any shi_. I would put my boat in the water and drive off. So, I went and bought mufflers. Getting smarter as I approach 40. :)

Beer-30
03-18-2005, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I am going to get some, no doubt. And before our Mojave trip, don't want to get everyone loaded and then get back on the trailer! It's pretty clear to me that even though I like the cleaner look of the replacements, I will get the clamps for those times I want all the noise. I'll probably get those new ones. I doubt they would have worked for you w/ the HP, but my stock 496 should be fine. I may still go with the ones you have, so if I do a RayLar kit and headers in the future, I won't be pushing the little ones to the limit.

Indiansprings
03-18-2005, 11:33 PM
You will like them, talk to Bob at Dane Marine, tell him I sent you. If you upgrade that motor you will want to go with what I got.

Beer-30
03-18-2005, 11:41 PM
That's what I figure on the tips. Thanks for the info. I will hit Bob up.

Sane Asylum
03-19-2005, 06:39 AM
SANE, I feel ya. I finally bought a boat with one of the reasons being: listening to an open exhaust BBC. Just nothing quite like the idle bouncing off of the water and especially when it is amplified from under a molded swim step!
Therefore, I will probably go with the clamp-on Gibson's, unless some of the other companies get on board with the price. I really wish I could do switchable as that would be the best of both worlds.
Additionally, I don't have to run mufflers at our local lake, per the Park Ranger that patrols it being happy with stock big blocks.
I've had way too long to think about this........I'm going with the clamp-ons so I can take them off if I want to. I'm from AZ and so far nobody gives a rat's arse about noise.....
I stopped and asked the LE officer what they were planning on doing about noise reg enforecment this summer and he looked at me like I had snakes comin outta my nose.....
He actually pulled around behind my boat (while idling) and said "I don't think you have anything to worry about" ???????
Anyway.....Going to havi is driving my decision......We love that place...

Beer-30
03-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Same here. The local Park Ranger at our mudhole doesn't care. There is a small penninsula where RVs can park, hook up, and beach their boats. He just said, if anything, he would ask the guys with over-transom to "keep their foot out of it" in that area. Other than that, he said if it has water coming through it, he doesn't care. And that's in CA! (believe it or not!)

Dana Marine Products
03-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Hey Guys, just got back from Havi and all of our Gibson testing went really well. Ran a 540 aspirated motor with the clamp on Bullets and it got it down to 87db. (CA law specs performed). Thanks for all your support! Bob @ Dana