PDA

View Full Version : So I'm driving along...

HP350SC
03-17-2005, 11:32 PM
and this truck coming towards me is flashing his headlights hi/low, on/off turn signals etc. I'm thinking WTF so I instinctively back off the throttle, and 10 seconds later there is a speed trap with biker cops dead ahead. I have adopted this technique and done it several times to warn other drivers. Don't know if it helped, but they prolly figured it out after I passed them. Let's start a new trend. Try this whenever you can :clover:

Kilrtoy
03-17-2005, 11:44 PM
and this truck coming towards me is flashing his headlights hi/low, on/off turn signals etc. I'm thinking WTF so I instinctively back off the throttle, and 10 seconds later there is a speed trap with biker cops dead ahead. I have adopted this technique and done it several times to warn other drivers. Don't know if it helped, but they prolly figured it out after I passed them. Let's start a new trend. Try this whenever you can :clover:Speed traps are ILLEGAL :supp:

HP350SC
03-17-2005, 11:48 PM
Not up here they aren't. I drive 18 miles from suburbs to work, have to deal with cit, county and staters in the same stretch. Not that I speed, I run 63 or so in the 55. Just a nice thing to do for others who may not be paying attention. :D

spectras only
03-17-2005, 11:51 PM
[QUOTE=HP350SC]and this truck coming towards me is flashing his headlights hi/low, on/off turn signals etc. I'm thinking WTF so I instinctively back off the throttle, and 10 seconds later there is a speed trap with biker cops dead ahead.
I thought it was common practice world wide. Everybody does it here :D

HP350SC
03-17-2005, 11:55 PM
All right then, that's encouraging! Pass it on. :D

Kilrtoy
03-17-2005, 11:59 PM
Not up here they aren't. I drive 18 miles from suburbs to work, have to deal with cit, county and staters in the same stretch. Not that I speed, I run 63 or so in the 55. Just a nice thing to do for others who may not be paying attention. :DWorking speed and speed traps are two different things and i beleive you hav ethem confused
A speed trapp would be placing a sign lets say on the freeway saying the limit is 40MPH, when we all know the limit is 55 or 65MPH, that is a speed trap
A cop sitting on the side of the road waiyting for a motorist to speed down the road is not a speed trap...

HP350SC
03-18-2005, 12:02 AM
Oh Ok, my mistake. I figured 3 biker cops working a stretch qualified. You guys in CA. are more up on the laws and such I think. What the heck are you up so late for :D

JetBoatRich
03-18-2005, 08:10 AM
and this truck coming towards me is flashing his headlights hi/low, on/off turn signals etc. I'm thinking WTF so I instinctively back off the throttle, and 10 seconds later there is a speed trap with biker cops dead ahead. I have adopted this technique and done it several times to warn other drivers. Don't know if it helped, but they prolly figured it out after I passed them. Let's start a new trend. Try this whenever you can :clover:
we do that all the time, see some sort of law enforcement with radar :idea: and warn the other drivers :D

RiverOtter
03-18-2005, 08:13 AM
I've gone so far as signaling motorists when I'm running and see a speed trap :D . It's just revenue enhancement. :burningm:

Waldo
03-18-2005, 08:14 AM
I have experience the same thing traveling to the river...mainly on Rice Road. I have slowed down and there were CHPs just waiting. I have also done the "flashy" part and hope it helped.

MagicMtnDan
03-18-2005, 08:14 AM
That "technique" is older than anyone alive today. It's been used effectively since the first speed trap. It went away because truckers (who invented it)don't use it anymore thanks to CB radios.
If you want to see a speed trap (or avoid it) go through King City on the 101 freeway. Probably the worst in the state. :hammer2:

Waldo
03-18-2005, 08:19 AM
That "technique" is older than anyone alive today. It's been used effectively since the first speed trap. It went away because truckers (who invented it)don't use it anymore thanks to CB radios.
If you want to see a speed trap (or avoid it) go through King City on the 101 freeway. Probably the worst in the state. :hammer2:
"Breaker, Breaker 1-9...Anybody got their ears on?" How do they know what channel to use?

Powerquestboy
03-18-2005, 08:30 AM
Working speed and speed traps are two different things and i beleive you hav ethem confused
A speed trapp would be placing a sign lets say on the freeway saying the limit is 40MPH, when we all know the limit is 55 or 65MPH, that is a speed trap
A cop sitting on the side of the road waiyting for a motorist to speed down the road is not a speed trap...
Wow lets argue the semantics huh! It is safe to say that every person in the united states calls a cop sitting on the side of the road waiting for speeding motorists a "speed Trap". Weather or not that is the technical definition. Did you really think he was talking about a Dukes Of Hazard type of speed trap, where Rosco puts up a fake sign to screw the Duke boys and give them a ticket!

cdog
03-18-2005, 08:51 AM
I flash lights to on coming traffic all the time to signal for a cycle cop. We get alot of them here going down serrano thru orange. I don't think these yuppies around here know what the hell that means but it's worth a try. I know it's saved my bacon several times so I try to pass along the gesture. I find the truckers use it on the 10 going to phoenix and tucson. They can't all be on the same CB channel.

roostwear
03-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Last time I broke out the CVC and checked it, a "speed trap" refers to a unit's placement where drivers cannot see it 500 feet away. This could be natural or manmade obstructions. It could have changed since the last time I fought it (long time ago, knock on wood).
SURE it's illegal....... :hammerhea

CrazyHippy
03-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Working speed and speed traps are two different things and i beleive you hav ethem confused
So all Construction zones??
BJH :)