PDA

View Full Version : ARROW 93.1 Gone!!!

JustMVG
03-19-2005, 12:02 AM
So there's a new station JACK radio, all of the Arrow 93 staff were fired Thursday and the new programming and call sign are in.
Full Metal Jack
(March 18, 2005) “Arrow 93” jumpin’ JACK flashed a format flip to JACK/fm late yesterday afternoon. The flip followed a day of non-stop U2 music since 10 a.m. Thursday morning in celebration of St. Patrick’s Day. At 4 p.m. the Jaws theme music kicked off an hour of stunting that included JACK related movie sound clips, JACK Webb Dragnet drops, Jumpin’ JACK Flash, JACK Nicholson lines, Close Encounters of the Third Kind theme, and a calliope sound of a JACK-in-the-box.
You might ask what all the fuss is about. Jack is a format that promises to relieve listener frustration over narrow playlists and it sets out to expand on the rigid corridors that fm music has found itself in over the past 25 years.
At 5 p.m. yesterday the imaging voice announced: "Happy St. Patrick’s Day. For those of you sober enough to care, this is ninety three one, JACK/fm. We’re the new station for L.A. and the OC. And we’re gonna play what we want. We’re kinda like your iPOD on shuffle. We're declaring our independence from all those radio stations with little playlists, big repetition, and boring djs. Welcome to the new 93.1 JACK/fm. We have two simple rules: 'We play what we want, and don't tell us what to play.' This makes it incredibly easy for you to listen. Enjoy.”
The first song was Devo's Whip It. It could have been JumpinÂ’ JACK Flash (it was the second song) or JACK and Diane.
The station's diverse playlist includes a combination of more than 1200 songs from the past four decades. Among the many artists that will be featured on the station include: The Rolling Stones, Prince, U2, Aerosmith, No Doubt, Tom Petty, Bob Marley, The Cure, Dave Matthews Band and The Police.

FMluvswater
03-19-2005, 12:14 AM
That sounds remarkably similar to Vancouver's 96.9 Jack FM. :cool: Their motto is "Playing what we want." They have a lil blurb during airtime goes something like "Sure we'll play your request ... as soon as a band named "Your Request" has a song we want to play." I love Jack FM! :cool: Awesome variety of music from many genres and many eras - whatever they want, lol. :D

Sleek-Jet
03-19-2005, 12:19 AM
I love my Satellite radio.... if only I could get "Bob and Tom" on it, I would have no complaints...
So is this new station worth listening too??? And who owns it, Clearchannel?

Essexive G's
03-19-2005, 12:20 AM
It's about time! I'm tired of the same 20 or so songs played by the same 5 stations. I don't care if it's rock, funk, pop, r&b, Rap, reggie, Soul, Classical, Country or whatever. I'm tired of the the same top twenty.
It doesn't matter what I'm in the mood for it's the same 20 all day. IT SUCKS!
Thank god for mp3 and XM radio!

bigerich
03-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Hopefully some good music on the radio will be back in LA. I personally think that LA radio is pretty weak, unless you like Ranchero.

JustMVG
03-19-2005, 12:29 AM
FM it's the same folks same ad lines an intro and outro's
we don't have a requst line because you're "LISTENERS"
I'm just mad beacause a friend of mine lost his job, but he'll be back.
got tired of hearing the same song on 2 different stations at the same time, you can only rehash the same "classics" for so long. Here's hoping it will shake up some of the other LA radio stations, but the Arbitron ratings will tell whats being listened to.
But the company that sold off Arrow is also the owner of Kroq and Kiisfm, could this just be the start of things to come?
MikeVG

FMluvswater
03-19-2005, 12:35 AM
FM it's the same folks same ad lines an intro and outro's
we don't have a requst line because you're "LISTENERS"
I'm just mad beacause a friend of mine lost his job, but he'll be back.
got tired of hearing the same song on 2 different stations at the same time, you can only rehash the same "classics" for so long. Here's hoping it will shake up some of the other LA radio stations, but the Arbitron ratings will tell whats being listened to.
But the company that sold off Arrow is also the owner of Kroq and Kiisfm, could this just be the start of things to come?
MikeVG
Then you all are in for a fun ride. Jack FM is very well received here. The ecclectic playlists are like wide nets ... catching lots of different "fish" of all ages. :cool:

JustMVG
03-19-2005, 03:04 AM
It seems like every "new" station out this was tries that same format, only to go to what's most popular eventually, so like i said we'll see.
For now it's different, and there are a couple of other stations that have come and gone that have done this thing before.
MVG

Essex29
03-19-2005, 06:33 AM
...that really sucks! The big business is taking everything over!
That was a pretty cool station

BoatPI
03-19-2005, 07:08 AM
I noticed the raido id Jack at 93.1 yesterday too. Sounds like an XM attempt on broadcast radio.

bigd1
03-19-2005, 07:13 AM
There's one here in Dallas too. "Play what we want..", etc. I listen occasionally for a change of pace because they do have a large playlist but it's mostly chick music - a lot of Duran Duran & Siouxsie and the Banshies type stuff.

shueman
03-19-2005, 08:53 AM
Man....missed this totally...!!! Johnny B. in the AM was some pretty funny radio....

moneypit
03-19-2005, 08:56 AM
Sounds Stupid to me. I would rather listen to Johnny B in the morning. That guy cant find a home. I feel bad for the guy they sent to Ireland to call back to the station during ST Patricks day...
Sounds like Satelitte radio will eventually take over. These Stations just can find a home and on their way down and out they grasp onto every little branch.

UnionJack
03-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Arrow was always good for mellow music